IGNORED

Thoughts on a 5200/7800 style case?

leech

Been thinking I'd like to create a new case for the VCS (not one I'd print out for others, but for others to print for themselves, as it'd be a large chunk, and my printer is a bastard for those things).  I'm thinking in the same style as the 'Pro Systems'.

We could do alt bottom pieces, one with a memory door and one without.  Just need to measure out the board, set up mounts for the internal piece, etc.  I was also considering a larger version for sticking a USB Hub in the front so that we could have more USB ports in the front of the system (like a 4 port 5200).  Also with the compartment in the back for the controllers (though that might be huge due to the shape / size of the controllers).

Then we could get someone to make some awesome labels for it. 

Why is this an idea?  Simple.  To make it fit the rest of the family! 

atari-2600-jr.jpg

Atari-5200-4-Port-Console-FR.jpg

Atari7800_07.png

To me, these are just pretty.  If we really wanted to get crazy, someone could make a cartridge for the memory upgrade cases, and a ribbon that goes in and under the motherboard for easy swapping of memory modules... just to have a Cartridge on top.  Or maybe small m.2 drives or something.  What does everyone think?

• Thanks 1

Personally I'd rather have a new VCS style case for my Atari 7800. It's so uninspired to me.
I like the 2600 Jr case, but the 7800, just looks boring, and the slot location is inconvenient.
All that flat angled plastic space on top? They could have used it for something cool / useful.

Likewise, as much as I love my Jaguars, a VCS style case would be much cooler. Also black!
On the other hand, since I put the VCS next to my Jaguar, I realised the Jaguar grooves are
kind of the same retro tribute, as on the new VCS, but front to back instead of left to right.

As a Sinclair ZX Spectrum also has a rainbow across the corner, when a rainbow just meant
that the machine had colour, I like colours on a machine, but I much prefer the black 7800.
I do like grooves though...
The Acorn Atom case could inspire an Atari VCS all-in-one computer with integral keyboard!
acorn_atom.thumb.jpg.98fcfdfe01295d706520c2c6162f7d21.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CPUWIZ said:

Can I have your case, when you are done, I want to put an actual Atari system into it.

If anything I was considering buying a different, maybe higher end SBC and putting in there, then seeing if I could get AtariOS running on it as a VCS Jr.  (Just for shits and giggles).  Would also be hilarious to build a better VCS than they did.

15 hours ago, leech said:

Right?  I mean if I can find a newer AMD board, make a VCS Pro System out of it... 

Community built AA system. 

Absolutely, but remember, it should cost no more than $99. That's what people would pay.
Some people said a better price would be $50, if it includes every game release on an Atari.
:-D 
It needs to be a custom board, else it could not be a real Atari either, but also upgradable.
It should have a from 2021 processor, dedicated graphics card, 16GB RAM, 1TB+ SSD too,
cartridge ports cut for all previous Atari systems, and ports for 2600/5200/Jag controllers. ?

Edited by justclaws
Edit: no old CPU from 2020, those are all useless.
  • Haha 2
  • Sad 1

5 hours ago, justclaws said:

Absolutely, but remember, it should cost no more than $99. That's what people would pay.
Some people said a better price would be $50, if it includes every game release on an Atari.
:-D 
It needs to be a custom board, else it could not be a real Atari either, but also upgradable.
It should have a from 2020 processor, dedicated graphics card, 16GB RAM, 1TB+ SSD too,
cartridge ports cut for all previous Atari systems, and ports for 2600/5200/Jag controllers. ?

The plastics alone would be more than 50 bucks for a 5200 sized one.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, zzip said:

Etching asteroids on the board wasn't custom enough?  :)

I loved that, but I'm happy with my ordinary VCS, although everybody likes to dream!

What I meant, was the system should not be made with an off-the-shelf system board.
I was just joking about the specifications of the "VCS Plus" system, because many people
had a list of things which the VCS should have had, should be, and how easy all that is. :-D 

I maybe should have made that clearer in the post! ? 

3 minutes ago, justclaws said:

I loved that, but I'm happy with my ordinary VCS, although everybody likes to dream!

What I meant, was the system should not be made with an off-the-shelf system board.
I was just joking about the specifications of the "VCS Plus" system, because many people
had a list of things which the VCS should have had, should be, and how easy all that is. :-D 

Ha, well I do not have the skills / means to make a custom board.  But I am sure others on AA do.  I want to know, since the VCS is trashed by so many on here, what it is they would have done differently.   With all the open source software out there, why not make our own system?

I figured an SBC would be easier and possible for me to make.  I can draw pac-man on it or something ha.

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, justclaws said:

Your post intent was very clear, that's why I had the smiley in my response :)

• Like 1