IGNORED

Sega Saturn

Zap1982

There's some discussion about SEGA Saturn here!    Here are two for example, more when you search.   Feel free to talk about the system, I'm sure you'll get responses. 

https://atariage.com/forums/topic/307391-the-official-sega-saturn-thread/#comments

https://atariage.com/forums/topic/311534-all-11-32x-games-that-were-released-on-the-saturn-compared-side-by-side

59 minutes ago, Cafeman said:

There's some discussion about SEGA Saturn here!    Here are two for example, more when you search.   Feel free to talk about the system, I'm sure you'll get responses. 

https://atariage.com/forums/topic/307391-the-official-sega-saturn-thread/#comments

https://atariage.com/forums/topic/311534-all-11-32x-games-that-were-released-on-the-saturn-compared-side-by-side

Weird. I searched it a few times and nothing but now a good few threads. The first one you mention starts with the same question of why no threads LOL.

I believe there is an official Sega Saturn thread.  However, the Saturn doesn't strike me as a really beloved console.  Granted, it does have its fans, but it doesn't seem like a console that is in hearts of minds of a ton of people.  Just my opinion.  That all being said, it is a nice console with lots of good games.

On 2/12/2021 at 7:21 PM, Hwlngmad said:

I believe there is an official Sega Saturn thread.  However, the Saturn doesn't strike me as a really beloved console.  Granted, it does have its fans, but it doesn't seem like a console that is in hearts of minds of a ton of people.  Just my opinion.  That all being said, it is a nice console with lots of good games.

I agree with you on that! I do, really like the console infact it is probably my favorite retro system. I only played it for the first time in 2001 though!

See it was very much withdrawn from sale where I am (UK North) I initially wanted one for Christmas '96 as a teen but was warned "you might not be able to get any games for it" and it would have been true. With no ebay then or amazon or even the damn internet I wouldn't have had much to play at all. Shops actively discouraged purchasing it citing "Sega is going bankrupt" - a thing that to date I have never found as a truth.

Still remember in Woolworths (they were the days) seeing trolleys and roll cages of all the Sega Saturn stuff being took off sale. Within the first year of launch you couldn't find a Saturn or a single game apart from maybe a charity shop find a few years later.

And I think if many places were the same as where I was coupked with the failure it was in the US then that's answered as to why it isn't as popular. But, like you say.. great games! 

A very underrated gem indeed.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Bloodreign said:

I love my Saturn, I own 57 games for it, sadly getting games for it is getting harder and harder to do due to rising costs to get a game I like.

Ain't that the truth! For as long as I can remember now eBay is about the only place and you are right, the money people are expecting now is silly in many cases.

In general I notice now even junk shops and charity shops that may come into possession of retro games seem to put some research into the value now - something that you never saw years ago.

A charity shop by my work had a few very nice boxed N64 games in the window for £69.99 a piece. The days of the bargain have ended..

• Like 1

I liked the saturn. In the few 3d games I've played, it seemed better at it than playstation, not all the twisted screen tearing weirdness that all playstation games seemed to do. It was also great on 2d games (which Sony seemed to actively discourage)

Of course, Sega had an uphill battle with Saturn from the get go. It was $100 more than the PlayStation, and if course, they at this point also had a rep for releasing new hardware and almost immediately abandoning it. Also using quads instead of standard tris didn't help.

I didn't buy one new. I got mine in 99 for like $30 when everybody was blowing it out. So I liked it, but saw it running out quick, and because I got it clearanced, I didn't have the same bias against it like people who bought it new and were like "waa, Sega abandoned us"

It was a perfectly good system and capable for its time, it just largely got little love, in its time, or even now.

25 years to this very day I bought my Saturn (20th Feb 1996). Bought Virtua Fighter 2, Virtua Cop and Sega Rally with it. It had the first Virtua Fighter as a pack in and an RGB scart lead which came as standard with the console at the time. After that my Playstation never really got played much and was soon sold off. A year and half later I had my Saturn region  modded plus 50/60 hz mod too and it still runs great today.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, youxia said:

I don't blame them. Most likely they would be bought and resold anyway, so why shouldn't they make that profit.

Completely agree but my point was that years ago you could go in, spot Knuckles Chaotix complete and immaculate next to an old toaster, ask "how much is this?" and get perplexed look followed by "is a fiver ok?"

These days they have the means to know how much these things are actually worth.

1 hour ago, Video said:

I liked the saturn. In the few 3d games I've played, it seemed better at it than playstation, not all the twisted screen tearing weirdness that all playstation games seemed to do. It was also great on 2d games (which Sony seemed to actively discourage)

It was often described as a 2D powerhouse. So many cool arcade ports but yes it was at the time where 3D was the new thing and as those titles (many of which have aged terribly) came down thick and fast on the other platforms, the Saturn did get left behind.

There was also games like Doom that whilst not totally true 3D (better mention this before the keyboard warriors do) was hugely popular, everyone was on it, playing  it on whatever they had that would run it - the Saturn version released years later and was a stripped down Playstation port suffering from terrible lag at times whilst the Playstation ran it perfectly. Then you also had the N64 doing it's own unique rendition in Doom 64.

I think lack of a new Sonic game, botched ports and retailers pulling the plug certainly hurt it.

21 hours ago, Zap1982 said:

Ain't that the truth! For as long as I can remember now eBay is about the only place and you are right, the money people are expecting now is silly in many cases.

In general I notice now even junk shops and charity shops that may come into possession of retro games seem to put some research into the value now - something that you never saw years ago.

A charity shop by my work had a few very nice boxed N64 games in the window for £69.99 a piece. The days of the bargain have ended..

Once the cellphone with internet came into being, it was good to research an old game before you bought it, but of course, even ol granny at a Garage Sale will use one to check Ebay to see if she's selling a lottery ticket retirement or not, and that is the bad side. Weird that outside of Saturn Bomberman (Japanese version), most of my recent Saturn gets were either fighting games, or puzzle games as those tend to still sell for affordable prices (unless it's Fighters History Dynamite, yikes it can never be found cheaply. Even World Heroes Perfect relaxed in price long enough for me to snag a nice copy of it for under $30).

I wouldn't mind people checking up on prices, (they could and should get the best price possible), the problem comes from ,as you said, anybody can check ebay, but WAY to few people know (or care) how to check sale prices. That's often massively different from asking price, which usually is order of magnitude more than worth. This hurts everybody, yes, even the ebay sellers, I don't know now, but I assume you still have to pay for that perpetually listed item.

Just throwing in my sincere and dear love for the Saturn.  I vary on what my actual favorite console of all time is, but it's way, way up there.

I've always thought the push for 32-bit to go 3d has NOT aged well (the next generation finally got it closer to "right", the textures etc on Saturn / PSX / N64 look AWFUL mostly now), and that though people didn't realize it at the time...doing GREAT 2d was better than 3d.  But apparently that's a minority opinion since stuff like Battle Arena Toshinden for PSX was all the rage while Nightwarriors on Saturn was met with "yeah that's pretty good".  Ugh.

Anyway.  The controller is one of the best ever, the Stunner guns get my vote for best all around home light guns, the Virtua Stick is one of the better made, and the library is extremely varied and wonderful if you know what to look for.  Those who love the Saturn...REALLY love the Saturn. :)

Personally, Die Hard Arcade, Dragon Force, Guardian Heroes, Fighter's MegaMix, Last Bronx, NightWarriors, Street Fighter Alpha 2, Groove on Fight, Panzer Dragoon II, Virtua Cop, Virtua Cop 2, Sega Rally, Daytona, Mass Destruction (60fps on Saturn!)...all terrific games in 1995-1997...and now even.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Video said:

I wouldn't mind people checking up on prices, (they could and should get the best price possible), the problem comes from ,as you said, anybody can check ebay, but WAY to few people know (or care) how to check sale prices. That's often massively different from asking price, which usually is order of magnitude more than worth. This hurts everybody, yes, even the ebay sellers, I don't know now, but I assume you still have to pay for that perpetually listed item.

This is something I always draw comparison to. You can have as many buy it nows or starting prices as you like, if it isn't SELLING for that kind of money  then it means nothing. I could list the wife's Nissan Mica on eBay for a few million right now - means nothing, to sell many zeros would have to come off the price yet people take eBay BIN as gospel.

I found Sonic Spinball for Game Gear in a junk shop, scruffy as hell. Boxed (faded and taped up) no manual. Asked the guy how much and he actually checked eBay right there. Can't remember what he wanted but it was real daft and I left it. Yea it's rarer than some but trust me, it was proper beaten up.. no way would it have been worth my time trying to resell.

Thought I would post this article here (https://www.androidauthority.com/emulators-android-guide-tips-tricks-973083/) as it covers a Sega Saturn emulator.  I actually downloaded it yesterday and played some Grid Runner and Crusader: No Remorse.  Both titles seemingly played fine, although there was racing game (forget the title) that I tried to play but it crashed right after the car selection screen.

On 2/20/2021 at 11:12 PM, Curious Sofa said:

Personally, Die Hard Arcade, Dragon Force, Guardian Heroes, Fighter's MegaMix, Last Bronx, NightWarriors, Street Fighter Alpha 2, Groove on Fight, Panzer Dragoon II, Virtua Cop, Virtua Cop 2, Sega Rally, Daytona, Mass Destruction (60fps on Saturn!)...all terrific games in 1995-1997...and now even.

Now that I have my Sega Saturn emulator up and running on my Nvidia Shield TV, I am going to have to try a few of these out ?

3 hours ago, Hwlngmad said:

Now that I have my Sega Saturn emulator up and running on my Nvidia Shield TV, I am going to have to try a few of these out ?

Indeed!  Some slight bad news possibly, I have an emulator set up (by someone else, don't even know what emu it is) on an arcade build PC, and some of the games are a no-go.  And some work, but don't look great (Fighter's MegaMix, Last Bronx to name a couple).  So hopefully your emulator is better than mine, otherwise well, SFA2 and Nightwarriors won't even boot.  Which would be a shame if you've not played them on Saturn, they're Amazing.

I know Saturn emulation has always had a tough go, so fingers crossed for ya!

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

I've been down a huge rabbit hole to get here.

Basically wondering if anyone knows, or can access an emulator version or hard copy of this Saturn game.
I was led to it by an ARG, short introduction:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=2c6wj5BnlDk&lc=UgwNvBe_jrnoha4j07t4AaABAg

Its this thing that's been running for decades. There's these disks, and puzzles you need to solve.
Anyway, one of the puzzles alludes to hidden passwords in the game 'Death Cult'

I can't seem to find any record of it, or emulator version, and wondering if anyone has heard of it