IGNORED

Converting Jag CD's to ISO image

glorfindeal1

It's either going to be audio or data. Data treats it like a normal directory like it was a hard drive. Audio treats it like it has so many minutes of sound data in track format. I don't know enough about it but a lot of games at the time could also be played in a regular cd player for audio, so maybe it's audio. Other games however such as Dragon Force (Saturn) has text files you can read etc. 

Looking forward to someone correcting me XD

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, glorfindeal1 said:

It looks like the proper selection is data, not audio.  Next question, on a lot of my game cd’s I get a couple of sector read errors.  Is this normal?  I can’t believe that I have that many games going bad.

Ken

I think the bad sector reads are due to copy protection.  Is there anyway around this or will this not cause a problem with use on the GD?

Ken

1 minute ago, Hastor said:

Just to be clear, they need to be in the .ccd format? As opposed to ISO, Bin/Cue, etc.? That seems to be the format what I have so far is in.

I'm not converting my own yet, but do have a lifetime license for Clone CD and wanna know how when needed!

Saint said that his tool supported CloneCD.  He told me today on Twitter that it will convert ccd and cdi image files.  CCD is CloneCD.  CDI I think is Diskjuggler.

Ken

All the ones I have are in bin/cue. Would that not work for the Jag GD and if so what is the proper format? Also then would you put them into folders?

For emulators on the Dreamcast and 3DO that I have the bin/cue works for those.

I don't have a GD yet but I'd like to be ready for it when I do get one. 

Thanks for this Thread - I installed CloneCD and began to create "Data CD" backups.  Just so Im doing this right, some of the discs are 200k+ but many are <16k.  Battlemorph is a good example where it was 1 session and 9500KB.  That doesnt look right to me?  Hover Strike CD is 235K for comparison.

Am I missing something or are these correct?

Vidgrid is 2700KB and Blue Lightening 37000KB

I think those ranges are correct and fits with the period. Some amiga CD32 games are just floppy disk or early cart games on a CD bundled together so the total MB is ridiculously low for a CD. I think the smallest one I have is less than 4MB on a 350 MB disk. 

It seems wasteful but its just the way they were developed and released for whatever was on the market at the time. It was probably still cheaper to release on CD than a small ROM chip on a cart while supporting the library of the CD add on. 

• Thanks 1

On 2/25/2021 at 10:25 AM, Goochman said:

Thanks for this Thread - I installed CloneCD and began to create "Data CD" backups.  Just so Im doing this right, some of the discs are 200k+ but many are <16k.  Battlemorph is a good example where it was 1 session and 9500KB.  That doesnt look right to me?  Hover Strike CD is 235K for comparison.

Am I missing something or are these correct?

Vidgrid is 2700KB and Blue Lightening 37000KB

It sounds like you might not be ripping the CDDA audio tracks when you're ripping these.  I could imagine the small file sizes correspond to the actual game data, and for instance, Blue Lightening and Battlemorph are larger because they have some fmv in them. Battlemorph has a ton of CDDA though, so your iso or bin/cue or whatever should really be several hundred MB.

I haven't used clone CD, but with disc juggler when I used it several years ago, I think you basically pressed one button for the option to make a CDI out of a disc in your disc drive, and then let it do its own thing - and this ripped all the data and CDDA and put it into a CDI file.

No offence, but aren't folks jumping the gun a little bit?  I'm waiting for there to be an official announcement from SainT that includes details as to file formats, etc.  What's the point of putting in a lot of effort ripping CDs if you guess wrong?

16 minutes ago, ls650 said:

No offence, but aren't folks jumping the gun a little bit?  I'm waiting for there to be an official announcement from SainT that includes details as to file formats, etc.  What's the point of putting in a lot of effort ripping CDs if you guess wrong?

Hey, it gives us something to do :).  Saint did say his conversion tool supports clonecd so in case I got it right, I now have 20 CD games converted :) 

22 hours ago, glorfindeal1 said:

Hey, it gives us something to do :).  Saint did say his conversion tool supports clonecd so in case I got it right, I now have 20 CD games converted :) 

Do your numbers match what I was getting with CloneCD?

2 minutes ago, glorfindeal1 said:

These are what I got:

Battlemorph -  615.5 MB

Hover Strike - 415 MB

Vid Grid - 732.4 MB

Blue Lightning - 546.1 MB

Mine are different - you just choose DataCD for CloneCD correct?  Any other settings?

Battlemorph - 387kb

Blue Lightening - 1523 kb

Vid Grid - 2692 kb

• 4 weeks later...