IGNORED

Well... I did it... :(

82-T/A

On 2/11/2021 at 6:53 PM, 82-T/A said:

I'm already regretting it... but it's all going into my 529 Education account. All my daughter talks about is going to MIT... she's 12, so I have some time, but I only have like $23k in her college education account. I know I need like $120k total... haha, so I'm $100k off.

But I told her all the money I make, I'm putting it into her 529.

Having paid for two kids through college, I can tell you to ignore the cost you see on the college web sites.  Each college acceptance letter contained a financial grant award which ends up lowering the listed cost.  For example, my son was accepted into Northwestern.  Yearly cost was 65K.  Acceptance letter gave 23K in grants making net cost 42K.  We found for both kids, the "net" amount that it would cost was about the same regardless of the listed costs.  The most important thing is to make sure you have completed the FASFA.  While it's a financial aid form, schools won't give grants without a completed FASFA.   Don't be shocked by the schools listed cost.  

11 hours ago, rayik said:

Having paid for two kids through college, I can tell you to ignore the cost you see on the college web sites.  Each college acceptance letter contained a financial grant award which ends up lowering the listed cost.  For example, my son was accepted into Northwestern.  Yearly cost was 65K.  Acceptance letter gave 23K in grants making net cost 42K.  We found for both kids, the "net" amount that it would cost was about the same regardless of the listed costs.  The most important thing is to make sure you have completed the FASFA.  While it's a financial aid form, schools won't give grants without a completed FASFA.   Don't be shocked by the schools listed cost.  

Hey, I really appreciate this! I had no idea. I think that's the difference between going as a kid and going as an adult. I got my associates as a kid, and you just pay by class. But when I went back to college to get my bachelors, and then my Masters, I was already an adult that was established my career... so there was no such acceptance letter because I was coming in as a junior and the classes just cost what they did. Or... I didn't know enough to ask these questions when I spoke to the counselor.

My daughter is 12... and I have plenty of savings so I'm not wholly concerned; however, I only have $23k in her 529... and only 6 years to add up. The rest will have to come from my savings, but this is really good information to know. Thank you!

EDIT: I said I was a kid... e.g. I meant like 18-19. Hah... now that I'm 42... funny how my perception changes. You are fully 100% an adult at 18.

Edited by 82-T/A
LOL

1 hour ago, slx said:

Impressive Listings indeed. Were all those boxed games at one time sold through AtariAge? I had no idea that 1943 or R-Type were available for the Jaguar. Are they ST ports?

Yes, they are all ST ports by @CyranoJ manufactured and sold by @Gaztee, who has ceased production (for a year at least if not forever) due to major life changes. I emailed him about Joust and a few others I really hoped to get when he announced the cessation of production but I haven’t heard back. $150-$250 isn’t something I can justify. I hope he gets back into the habit in the future, or that somebody else picks up the mantle.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, madman said:

You can also get a Skunkboard or a Jag GD cart when they're more readily available and use the ST port ROMs that CJ posted here.

I actually mentioned that to a few people who were messaging me on eBay. They were asking if there was any way to get these games cheaper... I told them I wanted to make as much as possible, but if they just wanted to play the game, to download Virtual Jaguar and then download the ROMs for the ST ports.

3 minutes ago, ls650 said:

Don't look at eBay prices now or you'll faint.

I did but I don't remember thinking they were much different to before. I thought that with N64 too but apparently they have gone up. Too expensive before, but now everyone is acting like they have only just got like that and then I get worried. Though now with Jag stuff it seems all of it is boxed. What i want to know is why they are going up. I can't see that there is more interest than before or that they have got any rarer. Same with 3DO.

On 2/22/2021 at 5:40 PM, ls650 said:

Don't look at eBay prices now or you'll faint.

I know, it's ridiculous. It's part of the reason why I decided to let all my games go. I realized that the prices are so extreme right now, and at a certain point, what is it that I intend to do with all of them? At the end of the day, I set aside 30 cartridges, and one system. Everything else I've sold off or am in the process of selling off. I'm still not entirely sure I'm going to keep all 30 of those games... I'd like to be closer to 20. There's a few from a bunch of different developers.

Here's the shocker... I plan on updating that page with all the prices for all the games so people could get an idea of current value as of today. Before I tell you how much I've made, I want to explain exactly how I've done my pricing. I would check to see if the game was currently available at Atari Age or some other online store. If it was available, I'd sell my game about 10% under that price. In the vast majority of the cases, my games are basically brand new, or are actually new (there were many I never ended up opening and playing). If it wasn't available from Atari Age or one of the other stores, I'd check eBay for current prices. In most cases there was at least one copy of the game available. If mine was of the same condition, then I'd list mine for 10% under the price. If there was nothing to compare, and I felt like it was a rare game, I'd list the price I was willing to sell it for. Sometimes there were crazy prices for existing systems, and I'd undercut that.

So, with everything that's sold thus far (2/23/2021), I've made almost $14,700 in sales. Fees are around 15% from eBay. So far, I've taken in $13,074.14. I still have 49 items for sale, which includes the CD drive, and several very rare games that themselves will sell for over $400. In the end, I will very likely walk away with all my favorite games, and one Jaguar, and $20k more in my daughter's 529 College Education account. Which is insane...

On 2/16/2021 at 2:36 PM, cubanismo said:

I can assure you, I was 100% not an adult at 18.

Dude... it is amazing to me when I work with some of the young kids at my office who are in the work study program, and I help them get situated... They are working towards engineering degrees from Stanford, Drexel, Tulsa, or Princeton, etc... and they're like 19 or 20. I think to myself... when I was 19 getting drunk, doing naked jello wrestling, buying stupid junk cars from Pink Flamingo Motors, and doing tons of other really stupid stuff. I think to myself... how are these kids so well adjusted at such a young age? So very impressed. I'm amazed I made it to 21.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, 82-T/A said:

So, with everything that's sold thus far (2/23/2021), I've made almost $14,700 in sales. Fees are around 15% from eBay. So far, I've taken in $13,074.14.

Wha..?  $296 US for a boxed Atari Karts??  $324 for a Skunkboard?

Edited by ls650
  • Sad 1

In terms of items you sold for Jaguar - what games were you surprised with in terms of prices? It just interests me to see what was most desirable to buyers... In fact if you could would you give us a top 10 in terms of prices if you can - it is always interesting to see what games are wanted as I remember when Attack of the Mutant Penguins was £15 for sealed and brand new and I bought six of them - and still have them as shown in the recent pic of about 30% of my sealed Jaguar games collection... I know some people think it's a dirty word 'profit' when applied to Jaguar games but I didn't buy over 120 sealed original games to lose money on them... Over the years I've traded up and bought from all over the world and am pretty proud of my collection and am equally proud of the prices I paid compared to what they would cost to buy now so it genuinely interests me to know what your best sellers were... I have zero intention of selling any games as I think in years to come games collecting (of mint sealed games) will be pretty big - I guess we all take a gamble on what we collect and keep fingers crossed that we are collecting something that might be like Kenner Star Wars figures that rise in price as opposed to Beanie Babies that plummet in price. 

Jag games 2020.jpg

• Like 1

And that's why I collect sealed games and not loose cartridges or games in tatty boxes - the JagGD will I think have an impact on loose cartridges but hopefully sealed and excellent condition ones will still be collected in the same way that Spotify has not put an end to people collecting Vinyl records... I think as we move into a world of digitally downloaded games people will hark back more and more to the joys of a physical box and cartridge in the same way they do with records... Who knows, I could be totally wrong and my games collection could become worthless but I'm willing to pay my money and take my chances that physical games will still be desirable in many years time...  And hopefully by then the Jaguar as Atari's last proper machine might be more collectable than it is today... Who knows...

3 hours ago, Cobra Kai said:

Krikz Everdrives have not made other classic console games cheaper. 

No, but the Sega genesis and the the vast majority of its games (always in box and in good condition, thx to plastic) are really cheap, so there's plenty of choice for everyone. The bubble is way smaller. The difference here is that the cheapest games for the Jag start now at 30/40$ in loose condition and it quickly escalates to 100$+.

So for collectors, sure, it wont change a thing, they will still pay insane prices, but for the others who just want to enjoy their machine, it will make a huge difference. Let's take one single example : Rayman. You can find this game in perfect condition on playstation for 5$. It's essentially the same game on the Jag. I would love to own it but surely not at a 150$ tag price. So that's for this one and a couple other that I would love to own a JagGD.

And I didn't even mention the support for JagCD :)

Edited by LordKraken
  • Like 2

10 hours ago, JaggingUK said:

In terms of items you sold for Jaguar - what games were you surprised with in terms of prices? It just interests me to see what was most desirable to buyers... In fact if you could would you give us a top 10 in terms of prices if you can - it is always interesting to see what games are wanted as I remember when Attack of the Mutant Penguins was £15 for sealed and brand new and I bought six of them - and still have them as shown in the recent pic of about 30% of my sealed Jaguar games collection... I know some people think it's a dirty word 'profit' when applied to Jaguar games but I didn't buy over 120 sealed original games to lose money on them... Over the years I've traded up and bought from all over the world and am pretty proud of my collection and am equally proud of the prices I paid compared to what they would cost to buy now so it genuinely interests me to know what your best sellers were... I have zero intention of selling any games as I think in years to come games collecting (of mint sealed games) will be pretty big - I guess we all take a gamble on what we collect and keep fingers crossed that we are collecting something that might be like Kenner Star Wars figures that rise in price as opposed to Beanie Babies that plummet in price. 

Jag games 2020.jpg

I'll post them by Sunday, when the last few items have sold. There are a couple of games that ended up getting relisted, but it's only because I am attached to them and don't want to sell them for less than what I think they're worth.

I love seeing the Syndicate games in good condition... that was one game I had where the box was rather trashed, along with Brutal Sports and I think Troy Aikman. I always really liked that game, but it just didn't play well on the Atari Jaguar. It's really a game that needs a mouse.. IMHO.

But I'll put up the prices at the end of the week. Right now, the Jaguar CD is blowing me away. I paid $108 from Go Atari in 1998... right now, it's been bid up to $859... which is totally beyond me because I literally had a Buy It Now price of $749, so I don't understand why someone would continue to bid above the Buy It Now price. This happened to a couple of games, where people outbid the buy it now price... I don't know if they didn't see it, or what happened, but I'm not going to stop them.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, 82-T/A said:

But I'll put up the prices at the end of the week. Right now, the Jaguar CD is blowing me away. I paid $108 from Go Atari in 1998... right now, it's been bid up to $859... which is totally beyond me because I literally had a Buy It Now price of $749, so I don't understand why someone would continue to bid above the Buy It Now price. This happened to a couple of games, where people outbid the buy it now price... I don't know if they didn't see it, or what happened, but I'm not going to stop them.

As soon as someone places a bid above the reserve BIN is removed.

• Thanks 1

The disappearing BIN after a first bid is an interesting aspect of EBay. I don't buy much on there, if I do it's things like closeout games from wholesalers where they have dozens/hundreds of copies, but if I do see a new listing and there's a reasonable BIN that's the way to go. Too many people get caught up in bidding wars. I don't sell much on EBay, but every time I list something w/a BIN and make offer, I get the most ridiculous offers of all time. So it's easier to just throw something up at 99c and let it ride. 

This thread has definitely lit a bit of a fire beneath me to stop being lazy and to list some of my Jag games.