IGNORED

Well... I did it... :(

82-T/A

8 hours ago, madman said:

The disappearing BIN after a first bid is an interesting aspect of EBay. I don't buy much on there, if I do it's things like closeout games from wholesalers where they have dozens/hundreds of copies, but if I do see a new listing and there's a reasonable BIN that's the way to go. Too many people get caught up in bidding wars. I don't sell much on EBay, but every time I list something w/a BIN and make offer, I get the most ridiculous offers of all time. So it's easier to just throw something up at 99c and let it ride. 

This thread has definitely lit a bit of a fire beneath me to stop being lazy and to list some of my Jag games. 

In Ebay's eyes, it probably builds urgency.  If you're torn between either placing a bid or just clicking Buy It Now, and you know you can change your mind afterward, then you might as well just bid.  But if you know that BIN could disappear at any second (because somebody else placed a bid), then you have an extra incentive to use BIN.

I decided a long time ago to have a full carts collection and miss out on Primal Rage and Braindead 13 due to how infrequently they showed up in their big boxes, I also started to note the crazy prices for them even when it was just the CDs without big boxes... On the other hand I did buy two Flappy Mcfurs having missed out on the first run of Another Worlds and deciding not to make the same mistake again and the original Flappy Mcfurs were really cheap ($45 each) so the cost of two (with postage to UK was same price as one, postage wise to the UK)... Was nice to see with Flappy Mcfur such a low price for a box, cart and manual... Not sure how many copies of that were sold but I know each buyer was limited to a max of two copies and they did seem to be out of stock really quickly.

On 2/24/2021 at 11:48 AM, JaggingUK said:

In terms of items you sold for Jaguar - what games were you surprised with in terms of prices? It just interests me to see what was most desirable to buyers... In fact if you could would you give us a top 10 in terms of prices if you can - it is always interesting to see what games are wanted as I remember when Attack of the Mutant Penguins was £15 for sealed and brand new and I bought six of them - and still have them as shown in the recent pic of about 30% of my sealed Jaguar games collection... I know some people think it's a dirty word 'profit' when applied to Jaguar games but I didn't buy over 120 sealed original games to lose money on them... Over the years I've traded up and bought from all over the world and am pretty proud of my collection and am equally proud of the prices I paid compared to what they would cost to buy now so it genuinely interests me to know what your best sellers were... I have zero intention of selling any games as I think in years to come games collecting (of mint sealed games) will be pretty big - I guess we all take a gamble on what we collect and keep fingers crossed that we are collecting something that might be like Kenner Star Wars figures that rise in price as opposed to Beanie Babies that plummet in price. 

Jag games 2020.jpg

Games collecting will get significantly bigger? That's a depressing thought. You make out like its not big now? I was hoping that the "Nostalgia window" was a thing that comes and then passes. I looked at 2600 stuff and was actually impressed that prices at least for boxed consoles were not stratospheric; I assume they must have gone down recently or just stayed the same for the last 10 years.

On 2/24/2021 at 10:26 PM, LordKraken said:

No, but the Sega genesis and the the vast majority of its games (always in box and in good condition, thx to plastic) are really cheap, so there's plenty of choice for everyone. The bubble is way smaller. The difference here is that the cheapest games for the Jag start now at 30/40$ in loose condition and it quickly escalates to 100$+.

Mega Drive stuff isn't that cheap but I suppose compared to everything else it is. For some reason I have boguht loose games for it in the past. Also, if you look on ebay, somehow loose PS2 games are a thing that happens somehow.

Edited by No One You Know

On 2/12/2021 at 4:45 PM, agradeneu said:

Let's say I have some standards.

You're exactly the problem with this place. The guy shares something related to his life.  You say he's emotional. Then he says  he wants the games on VCS. Then you break his balls for that.

Why did I want Alien Vs Predator on VCS?.......And actually got it. Because I saw it could work and I wanted it and that was all the reason I needed to will something into existence that wasn't there before. It was an idea that became reality. And it became that because of this place.

Ive encountered you stuck up assholes many times here before. Some of you are even moderators who are just as childish. This is a place where discussions are held and ideas are shared an elaborated upon. Then snobs like you come around and shit all over everyones ideas or things they want and try to make them feel stupid.

Why does John Champeau release anything to begin with?..... does the VCS need ZooKeeper, Galaga, Robotron, and Ladybug? No it doesn't.

But  now it's there and people are going to play it regardless because they love what ever console it is that they choose to dedicate their time to.

You have standards here because your sheltered life behind that keyboard allows it.

In the real world, especially where Im from. It's that same pompous asshole mentality that gets you punched in the face. Some of you guys make it sound like it's the worst thing in the world when someone has a request. God forbid anyone asks for anything other than programming related questions. 

We are not all game developers. 

Some of us just play the damn games.

• Like 4
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1

My favorite was a person who claimed to sell his whole game collection on a Swedish auction site.

"I am now practically giving all of this stuff away, because I want to invest in life instead"

(each item had an individual auction, so he must have spent some of time on putting up the auctions at least?)

- I really don't understand that you cannot invest in life, and have games?

Even if you don't play them today, you might play them tomorrow.

(or some child, or anybody else who might be interested?)

• Like 4

29 minutes ago, sn8k said:

You're exactly the problem with this place. The guy shares something related to his life.  You say he's emotional. Then he says  he wants the games on VCS. Then you break his balls for that.

Why did I want Alien Vs Predator on VCS?.......And actually got it. Because I saw it could work and I wanted it and that was all the reason I needed to will something into existence that wasn't there before. It was an idea that became reality. And it became that because of this place.

Ive encountered you stuck up assholes many times here before. Some of you are even moderators who are just as childish. This is a place where discussions are held and ideas are shared an elaborated upon. Then snobs like you come around and shit all over everyones ideas or things they want and try to make them feel stupid.

Why does John Champeau release anything to begin with?..... does the VCS need ZooKeeper, Galaga, Robotron, and Ladybug? No it doesn't.

But  now it's there and people are going to play it regardless because they love what ever console it is that they choose to dedicate their time to.

You have standards here because your sheltered life behind that keyboard allows it.

In the real world, especially where Im from. It's that same pompous asshole mentality that gets you punched in the face. Some of you guys make it sound like it's the worst thing in the world when someone has a request. God forbid anyone asks for anything other than programming related questions. 

We are not all game developers. 

Some of us just play the damn games.

I think they were actually talking about the new "VCS" rather than the 2600 as they were talking about having games all stored on one machine and they said it was new. But yes, it is annoying when people complain about something because there is no point in it - you'd think that those kind of people wouldn't be into obsolete technology. I have found myself in this kind of argument a few times, on both different sides for some reason. Sometimes I get annoyed when people act like its the best thing in the world, but I think that is just jealously inside me that I struggle to control, and also that I see some people as hypocrites because inside my head I imagine some of those people as if they would have been critics before whatever it is existed who act like they were with it all along afterwards. I think I've been torn apart a few times in different places for asking questions that were kind of programming related, and I saw once Agradeneu himself was torn apart by programmers for only being an artist and apparently not understanding the demoscene as they put it or something similar to that.

9 hours ago, No One You Know said:

I think they were actually talking about the new "VCS" rather than the 2600 as they were talking about having games all stored on one machine and they said it was new. But yes, it is annoying when people complain about something because there is no point in it - you'd think that those kind of people wouldn't be into obsolete technology. I have found myself in this kind of argument a few times, on both different sides for some reason. Sometimes I get annoyed when people act like its the best thing in the world, but I think that is just jealously inside me that I struggle to control, and also that I see some people as hypocrites because inside my head I imagine some of those people as if they would have been critics before whatever it is existed who act like they were with it all along afterwards. I think I've been torn apart a few times in different places for asking questions that were kind of programming related, and I saw once Agradeneu himself was torn apart by programmers for only being an artist and apparently not understanding the demoscene as they put it or something similar to that.

Yes, I also believe he was talking about the new VCS, not the 2600. He definitely has a point about us sometimes being assholes, but at the same time, he perhaps isn't familiar with the many, many times that developers here have been ridiculed for making "8-bit" games for the Jag and seeing people whine about the Jaguar not being "pushed to the limits". Really though, a lot of us here need to take a chill pill and not get so wound up about posts on a forum.

• Like 2

On 2/12/2021 at 4:32 PM, carlsson said:

There is nothing wrong in downsizing if you don't care for the stuff any longer and there is good money to be made. For various reasons I've been selling off quite a lot in the past year and will continue to do so as long those are items I can live without and which improve my bank account more than $10 at a time. Besides I get to feel a tiny bit like Marie Kondo, though I'm by no means as extreme as her theories suggest.

Absolutely. Rightsizing and downsizing and tailoring a collection to one's taste is becoming more and more prevalent among people who've had the stuff for ages. Especially stuff that has remain unused for years.

I know that if I ever start selling any Apple II material it'll be non-stop till it's reduced to what I had as a kid in the 70's & 80's. After all, some of it hasn't been used in years. Decades.

• Like 2

On 2/25/2021 at 10:42 PM, Machine said:

You never bought Flappy McFur? That is the only game missing in my Jag collection. Well, I am not counting JagCD, I still need the big 2 from that.

Hi, I did! I ended up keeping it. When I told my daughter and wife (off-hand) because they were wondering why I started shipping so many boxes out, my daughter got upset with me that I was selling my Jaguar games. My wife asked me if this was something I really wanted to do? Granted, I hadn't played it in forever... it just sat in the guest bedroom in a cabinet. But my daughter really /really/ liked Piko's Custodian game. So I ran a bunch of the games past her that she thought she'd want to keep, and Flappy McFur was one of them... so I'm keeping that one. All in all, I have actually 30 games that I've not put up for sale. But I had close to 150+ games... basically all of them, so I'm almost through selling the rest of them. I will probably still sell a bunch of these 30 that I have also... but it won't be immediate.

23 hours ago, sn8k said:

Thank God it's not you making decisions around here.

20210226_094231.jpg

Haha!!! That is awesome!!!

23 hours ago, phoboz said:

My favorite was a person who claimed to sell his whole game collection on a Swedish auction site.

"I am now practically giving all of this stuff away, because I want to invest in life instead"

(each item had an individual auction, so he must have spent some of time on putting up the auctions at least?)

- I really don't understand that you cannot invest in life, and have games?

Even if you don't play them today, you might play them tomorrow.

(or some child, or anybody else who might be interested?)

You've got to remember that people have changing priorities. For a lot of people, the idea of "having stuff" is itself a ball and chain.  I have a friend who's very successful, a VP of a major company, and he basically lives out of a suitcase. I mean that metaphorically. He can fit everything he owns into a single small van... and other than his mountain bike and a few other things, he wouldn't hesitate to just leave it all to good will and pack a suitcase to move onto his next adventure. Obviously, you can't really do that responsibly when you have a family... but there's something to be said for simplicity in life. I have certainly gotten a lot of enjoyment out of the Atari Jaguar (and I still will since I decided to keep some of the games). But for me personally it was a matter of looking at it from my priorities:

1 - How often do I play this stuff?

2 - Why have I obligated myself to buy every single game that comes out? What will this mean for me, and why should I keep doing it?

3 - When I DO actually play the Jaguar, what games do I actually play?

4 - What is the value of these things that I basically never play, and where could that capital be better allocated?

So... in the end, I kind of decided that I didn't need to be stuck in that routine. I also feel much better about it since I kept all the games I ACTUALLY play, and will still have them. While all the other games that I did enjoy... but just don't really play all that often, or have already beaten and don't particularly care anymore... that's not going to go towards helping my daughter pursue her careers. At the time being it's sitting in a money market account, because if you haven't noticed... the stock market has been tanking every day... lol... so I'll put it in when I feel like things have returned to normal (maybe late spring).

23 hours ago, No One You Know said:

Yeah, I still have my old Atari 2600. I will NEVER sell my old Atari 2600. That is a piece of me, hahah. But yes, I was talking about the Atari VCS. I bought on the Kickstarter year ago, and have been really happy with it. Looking forward to more games on there. There are a bunch of games on the Jaguar that I would LOVE to see on the VCS. I plan to reach out to Orion and ask him if he wouldn't mind putting Philia and Elansar on the VCS. They are both games that are perfectly suited for the VCS, and would probably not take up very much time.

For what it's worth, I /was/ a computer programmer years ago. That was primarily what I did from say... 1999 until about 2014. so, ~15 years. The last few places that I've worked, I've just been management. Which has its ups and downs. You can get a lot more done when you're guiding / directing developers to do the very thing that you would have otherwise done yourself... but at the same time, I also very much miss developing. I used to program in pretty much everything... from old languages like MUMPS, Pascal, C, Delphi, to somewhat newer languages like C++, VB, to more modern languages like C#/VB.net, Coldfusion, and scripting languages like PHP / Pearl / Python...

14 hours ago, PFG 9000 said:

Got my copy of Philia today.  Thanks!  That shipping was super quick.

Yeah, I have to say... eBay's arrangement with USPS really makes things work well. The USPS Flat Rate "Small Box" is exactly the size of the Atari Jaguar games, and they are sturdy enough to really protect the boxes from getting crushed or damaged. I also bought a Lenovo Legion last year, and the packing material was that thin foam padding... which I have like a mile of, so it's just all worked perfectly. USPS (when there aren't freak blizzards in the South), can usually get those games delivered in 2-3 days.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Keatah said:

Absolutely. Rightsizing and downsizing and tailoring a collection to one's taste is becoming more and more prevalent among people who've had the stuff for ages. Especially stuff that has remain unused for years.

I know that if I ever start selling any Apple II material it'll be non-stop till it's reduced to what I had as a kid in the 70's & 80's. After all, some of it hasn't been used in years. Decades.

Nothing is ever as cool as playing on original hardware for the nostalgia. But have you thought about buying one of the newer Apple II emulator machines and loading pretty much everything onto an SSD? Like the Apple 2 Retro-Pi?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, 82-T/A said:

Nothing is ever as cool as playing on original hardware for the nostalgia.

For the nostalgia, true enough. For the practicality and space-savings, not a chance. I was reading through some Atari 8-bit hardware threads and learning about how some folks add more and more hardware to their rig till it stops working. That's not for me anymore.

4 hours ago, 82-T/A said:

But have you thought about buying one of the newer Apple II emulator machines and loading pretty much everything onto an SSD? Like the Apple 2 Retro-Pi?

I've done Apple II emulation on R-Pi. Not my first choice, Windows is. Because of familiarity and drag'n'drop capabilities.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I feel your pain here, i'm going to be ditching MOST of my boxed games soon. I went from wanting a complete Jaguar collection at the beginning years ago, to it just not being a financial option. I won't ever buy a Jaguar CD at this point, and I don't play 99% of the Jag games I own since most are not great, or there are better versions on other systems.

I'll keep my system, and a couple favorites, and will soon have a JagGD, but i would rather have the shelf space for other things instead of Jaguar carts I won't ever touch again. If a MiSTer core is ever released i'll probably even ditch the JagGD.

• Like 1

I have 3 different ways to play PS1. PS1 + large collection of games. PSP that is used heavily for psp and PS1 games. PS1 Classic, hacked with all of my games backed up. The Ps1 and its discs get played the least. I weirdly regret almost everything I have ever sold in the past.Except intellivision and 5200. Those were before my time anyway. So is 2600 but I still like that for some reason over those 2. Colecovision was out nearly a decade before I was born. I should have no attachment to that console. But I love it. Its so good. Glad I went out of my way to discover it. But when I get that feeling I should sell all of my Ps1 games because I have them all backed up and working flawlessly on my hacked PS1 classic...... I start to wonder..... 

Do I still own these games anymore? I could just emulate them but to me it never feels the same.

I regretted selling my Colecovision and 30+ games. I needed the money bad at the time. I could have just emulated it and played it. But I couldnt. I wanted to see that silver rainbow vcr and hold the controller. Now that things have changed. I got it all back.

• Like 1

I'm pretty much done with everything that I was selling. I have a few things left, but I think I'm going to put everything I have together that's left, and ship it all off to NVM.

In the end, I'm still keeping like 1/3rd of my Jaguar games, and a Jaguar, and a pro controller. I kept the ones I know and love to play...

I'll make a post with the totals, but it ended up coming out to around $16k... which is pretty nice.