IGNORED

New arcadeR joystick, can it be modded for 7800

mimo

I have not tried but whether that‘s easy or not depends a lot on the number of wires in the cable. If it lacks a wire for the second button pin you‘ll have to swap the cable, otherwise you just need to separate the two button connectors add the resistor and hook up the extra line. 

80‘s joysticks usually lack the extra line. 

• Like 1

From the tear down videos I've seen, they are all built with all 9 wires and there are a few options on the PCB itself to change configuration of how the joystick and buttons respond. I have one coming as well and will be opening it up to get it to work on 7800 for two buttons.

ArcadeR - The best retro Joystick ever and I made it better! - YouTube

Reviewing the ArcadeR Joystick plus Tear Down! Retro Radionics Arcade Stick! - YouTube

Edited by NISMOPC
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, NISMOPC said:

Has anyone who rcvd their units been able to modify the 2nd button to work for the 7800? I'm still patiently waiting for mine to arrive, but was interested to see if any successful progress has been done to get these to work with the 7800 two button games.

The button design is horrible on these joysticks. It would be impossible to use these as a two button game "if" you were to be using them at the same time.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, AtariBrian said:

The button design is horrible on these joysticks. It would be impossible to use these as a two button game "if" you were to be using them at the same time.

Agreed 100%. As a one button 2600 design, it's great for ambidextrous-ness. As a two (unique) button for the 7800? Sorry to say, it's junk.

EDIT: Although it ALMOST looks like it has a smaller set of buttons on each side of the cord? WTH are those? Case tabs or something?

Transparent Yellow ArcadeR Joystick

1 hour ago, GoldenWheels said:

Agreed 100%. As a one button 2600 design, it's great for ambidextrous-ness. As a two (unique) button for the 7800? Sorry to say, it's junk.

EDIT: Although it ALMOST looks like it has a smaller set of buttons on each side of the cord? WTH are those? Case tabs or something?

Transparent Yellow ArcadeR Joystick

Left one turns auto-fire on/off and right one switches buttons two and one (non-Atari option). So for Atari, right one does nothing and 2nd button does nothing.

• 1 month later...

Just found this . . . I watched a video on this that showed how you can open it and rotate the stick in side to change the layout.  It was very easy to make the buttons be on the right for example.  
Reviewing the ArcadeR Joystick plus Tear Down! Retro Radionics Arcade Stick! - YouTube

Whoops - I see that video was already linked.  This should be almost trivial to mod for the 7800 and it is possible to turn the stick to orient it so that the buttons are on the left or even the right with a little extra trimming.