IGNORED

GDEMU Questions

Tempest

gdemu clone is 20% the price of a mode, I couldn't justify the price.

if it was in an external case, with cables connected to saturn and dreamcast and a switch to select which is active then I probably could have.

Right now I'm happy with the gdemu clone, and hoping for the 21 pin Fenrir soon for the Saturn.

The new menu creation software is a revelation, so much better than the original buggy one from years ago, just sure to use V1.22 on Windows.

Sorry for not being 100% on topic, but an alternative option is available.  The USB-GDROM works fine and is a much cheaper alternative to the MODE if you just want a DC ODE.  The units seem to be made on demand, so in my case at least there was a wait of a few weeks between paying and him shipping out.  His ordering system is old-school, no automatic notifications, etc.

Unlike the gdemu, you just drop the game images on a USB stick, plug it in, and you are good to go (like most other flash devices and ODEs).  It's got a VERY simple text-based menu, and you can setup disc-swapping for multi-disc games within the menu itself.

Anyway, it's another option for someone looking for a DC ODE, and I can vouch for its performance.

Edited by newtmonkey

• 2 weeks later...

Ok I just got my GDEMU installed, is there a good guide for setting up the SD card?  I have a bunch of GDI/track files but I'm not sure how to add them to the SD card so the GDEMU menu sees them (I hear there's a program that can help with that).  Any help would be appreciated.

BTW I can do this in Windows if I have to, but something that runs in Linux or in Wine would be best.

EDIT: Ok I figured out that you need to put the GDI files in sequentially numbered folders.  That's going to be a pain to do manually.  Hopefully I can figure out that program.

9 hours ago, Tempest said:

Ok I just got my GDEMU installed, is there a good guide for setting up the SD card?  I have a bunch of GDI/track files but I'm not sure how to add them to the SD card so the GDEMU menu sees them (I hear there's a program that can help with that).  Any help would be appreciated.

BTW I can do this in Windows if I have to, but something that runs in Linux or in Wine would be best.

EDIT: Ok I figured out that you need to put the GDI files in sequentially numbered folders.  That's going to be a pain to do manually.  Hopefully I can figure out that program.

Best bet is to use GD SD Card Maker.

http://www.filefactory.com/file/je9h47epcl0/DCGD20.zip

Makes everything SUPER easy to edit / move around in whatever order you please.

https://retrogamesultra.com/2019/02/17/sega-dreamcast-gdemu-installation-and-setup/

Program is so easy it's just wonderful.  It auto detects your SD card, just a supreme tool (which I have been called before, but that's different lol).

SD Card Maker screenshot.png

14 hours ago, Tempest said:

I posted on page one, post 4 with a link and you replied to it...

On 2/16/2021 at 1:29 AM, Steven Pendleton said:

One advantage of the MODE is that you can use it on both the Dreamcast and the Saturn. If you don't want to buy 2 of them, you could leave the systems' top covers unscrewed to make it easier to swap between the Saturn and Dreamcast. From what I understand, the installation process is extremely easy. Apparently you just plug it in and it works or something like that. Might be annoying to move it between systems every time you want to change, but it's an option.

You're also not limited to SD cards with the Mode.