IGNORED

3DO FZ-1: which CD-R is best for games?

elias_riano

Hello everybody

I have a japanese Panasonic 3DO FZ-1 with the A/B 240p switch and another one without this switch.

Both don't play any CD-R, at least not those I used: MediaRange CD-R 900 MB which worked fine on my japanese Neo Geo Frontloader.

What is astonishing that my Sega Mega CD 1 PAL from UK also refuses to play the MediaRange CD-R.

I burned all with ImgBurn with 1x speed on a Pioneer BDR-209M (BluRay, DVD and CD-R burner)

I wonder how can I figure out whether I should:

1. use 700 or 650 MB (what would you recommend, Sony, TDK, Verbatim?)

2. use another burner, in my basement I have old PC parts, e.g. LG H22N SATA that I don't use at the moment

3. clean the laser of my 3DO and Sega CD

4. buy a replacement Matsushita CD-ROM drive?

• 2 weeks later...

I use Taiyo Yuden, now manufactured by CMC I believe, but using Taiyo Yuden's equipment and protocols (as I understand it).

TYs are the best-tracking, most-reliable CD-Rs I've ever used -- better than Mitsuis, which used to be the gold standard. There have been retail games that I own but play as burned copies instead, as the CD-R copies simply read better.

1 hour ago, thegoldenband said:

I use Taiyo Yuden, now manufactured by CMC I believe, but using Taiyo Yuden's equipment and protocols (as I understand it).

TYs are the best-tracking, most-reliable CD-Rs I've ever used -- better than Mitsuis, which used to be the gold standard. There have been retail games that I own but play as burned copies instead, as the CD-R copies simply read better.

Hello, thank you!

I have bought some Verbatim 700 MB CD-R and they work perfectly.

Problem has been solved :-)

I have to tell to the community a very sad story.

As I was very euphoric and enthusiastic about my Verbatim CD-R 700 MB I started to burn a lot of games.

My Neo Geo CD, my 3DO and Sega Mega CD accept and work perfectly with those burned games.

But yesterday I experienced that my PC Engine Duo died after reading 2 times a CD-R.

First it startet and showed the burned game Wonderboy 4, but asked me to add a SuperCard (why?)

I couldn't believe this and started the console 5 times hoping it will play Wonderboy 4.

Then I burned another game, the 4-1 compilation with Bonk 1+2.

After I turned the console on, the red light flashed but the CD drive didn't spin.

The motor seems to have taken damage or whatever ... ?

Would be very nice, if somebody have advice how to repair?

20 hours ago, thegoldenband said:

That sounds like a mechanical failure. If Keith Courage is still fixing systems, I highly recommend speaking with him! Not sure which site he frequents these days, but I think he's at the PC Engine Software Bible Forum:

https://pcengine.proboards.com/

Thank you very much, I will try to find and contact him!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 3/1/2021 at 1:34 PM, thegoldenband said:

That sounds like a mechanical failure. If Keith Courage is still fixing systems, I highly recommend speaking with him! Not sure which site he frequents these days, but I think he's at the PC Engine Software Bible Forum:

https://pcengine.proboards.com/

Did everyone from PCEnginefx Forum go there now?