IGNORED

The Official Playstation Thread

NinjaWarrior

No one made a thread about the Playstation

Anyway the Playstation or known as PSX, PS1 released in NA on September 9th 1995 

Going on to sell 102.49 million in it's lifetime

The Best Selling Game on it is Gran Turismo, 10.85 million shipped

Over 8,000 Game Released World Wide for it

In the 90's I was in too Fighting, Racing Games, Missing much of the Libaray, But I do have most of the Good Ones

My Top 10

Castlevania: Symphony of the Night

Castlevania Chronicles

Street Fighter Alpha 3

Gran Turismo 2

Super Puzzle Fighter II Turbo

Crash Banicoot

R-Types

Mortal Kombat Trilogy

Doom

Final Doom

What's yours?

• Like 4

I'm for it.

Playstation 1, my most favourite awesome console of the 90s. So many good games, I'll try to find the best I like.

SONY PLAYSTATION CONSOLE (PSone) - Video Game Photos from the Room of Doom (digitpress.com)

[parasite eve], loved this game, me and my gaming friend played it throughout  the night, one's narrating the other controlling.

Same with Final Fantasy VII, playing, shouting.....go there, that way, no, get him.....awesome times

Edited by high voltage
  • Like 2

I absolutely love PS1. So many sick games. Before I had PS1, I was a sega kid. Genesis and Saturn. I did not like RPG's. Enter Final Fantasy 7. Now I play RPG's.

Resident Evil 1-3 were all awesome. 2 was the best. GT 1 and 2 were phenomenal. All Final Fantasy's 1-9.... to die for. Chrono Trigger and Chrono Cross? Dont even got the words. Syphon Filter 1-3? So sick. Legend of Mana? Gorgeous. Metal Gear Solid? Is probably the greatest game of all time whether you know it yet or not. 

And Silent Hill...... will still scare the absolute shit out of you.

There is a level of quality to PS1 that is unmatched by anything before it and nothing else after till the 2nd one arrived.

Gonna go play now actually.

• Like 5

I dropped out of gaming right before the PS1 hit in 1995.  The biggest regret of my entire life.  Luckily I found my way home in the early 00's with Xbox and Gamecube..  I wish I had bought a PS2 at the time.  I've been loving the PS1 for a long time now, and since now playing them on CRT's it's like reliving that magic all over again, kind of like being nostalgic for something I wasn't really part of.   I would love to get my playstation modded..  Everytime I message someone on craigslist that claim to do mods I never hear anything back, and I doubt I could do it on my own.  I do love my little collection though.  Back in the early 2010's in my neighborhood in brooklyn people were tossing out PS1 (and many other games and systems) games left and right for the taking on their stoops.  Every weekend I would just walk around the neighborhood and come home with free video gaming stuff.  Unfortunately there's a ton more street scavengers like myself out now, and many of them are just in it for the slimey reselling game, but I'm a scavenging professional and can psychically feel free stuff ahead from around the corner!  Yes, PS1 is great.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

The PS1 was actually the system that got me BACK into gaming! I have a heap of nostalgia for this system because it represented a lot of firsts for me: it was the first new system I ever bought with my own money, the first time I was playing from shiny discs instead of cartridges, and it was my first introduction to the exciting new world of 3D polygons! I maxed out my first credit card for this system also, but it was totally worth it.

Tomb Raider was my first PS1 game purchase and I was absolutely obsessed with it. I also loved Project Overkill, Syphon Filter, Legacy of Kain Blood Omen, Resident Evil and Silent Hill. It was Silent Hill that really elevated video games to another level for me. That game burrowed deep into my psyche and stuck with me long after I finished it. That and the RE games is what began my fascination with survival horror, my favorite gaming genre.

I’ve collected about 400 games for this system over the past 25 years (Jesus, has it been that long???) but I still feel like I’m nowhere near having all the great titles for it that I’m interested in. In my opinion the PS1 has one of the best libraries of any system out there. So thanks for starting this topic, it’s long overdue!

• Like 6

• 2 weeks later...

The Playstation is perhaps my favorite console of all time.  It's the first one I bought with my own money, working my first part time job and I have a ton of nostalgia for it.  I bought the console along with Soul Blade and Wild Arms, and my first purchases after that were Resident Evil and Twisted Metal.  I soon got another part time job at a Software Etc., just a few hours a week specifically to get the employee discount!

• Like 1

I started properly playing games on a PS1 very late (around a year ago), I don't mind the blocky graphics as they have a certain charm to them, and it's a representation of where video games were at at that time, which is interesting to me.

I think it's a really great console, it's got lots of great games and I'm having a lot of fun on it, currently playing Gran Turismo and Resident Evil.

I think I'm going to start playing the first Tomb Raider tonight, I'm really looking forward to it and I've never played it before, I love The Last Revelation on the Dreamcast so I reckon there's a decent chance I will love this.

I think as far as games are concerned, the PS1 is just as good as the PS2, which I also really like.

Edited by Ross PK
  • Like 3

@Ross PK This console was huge for me in 1998 and 1999. It was my first home console and, just like the Saturn saved the youtuber Sega Lord X during a troublesome period in his life as a young adult, the Playstation was key for me when I was 17-18 years old and was having some troubles too. I needed to find myself as a teenager and video games were my main hobby, but I reached a point where my dad was clearly tired of my visiting him just to play MS-DOS games with his Pentium 133. I saved my parents' weekly allowance for 6 months to buy the console, which helped me see the light at the end of the tunnel of those insecure times.

(By the way. my first actual console and the first system I bought with my own money was the original Game Boy, that I used to have something to play while I was saving for the PS1)

Firstly, I would recommend that you find a way to play the American or Japanese version of the games. PAL games run 15% slower and often feature two horizontal stripes on the top and bottom on the screen. This is not necessary if the games are European, such as Tomb Raider, Grand Theft Auto and a few other cool British games from that era.

I was lucky to play the big names and also a few hidden gems, so here are some suggestions:

- Silent Hill, much better than Resident Evil

- The first Tomb Raider (but you can only save at any time on the PC version, so perhaps play that one instead)

- Abe's Oddysee and Abe's Exodus. Everyone should play these two!

- International Superstar Soccer 98 (I recommend the Japanese 1.5 version, called Winning Eleven 3: Final Version, faster and which includes 1-2 passes that you can choose when to return while the player keeps running)

- Heart of Darkness, by the guy who made Another World.

- Other fun games such as Spyro, Croc, Gex 3D, Twisted Metal 2, Destruction Derby 2, Crash Bash, Crash Team Racing, Disruptor, Ridge Racer Type 4, Ace Combat 3, Tekken 3... And check out the hidden gems Silent Bomber, One and Colony Wars.

I won't recommend Gran Turismo because you're already playing it. I will just say that I used to go to bed late during the week and then go to the basement instead of the high school the next day to have the missing sleep time, and the reason was winning every race and medal in that game. I had the Japanese version, but I head they did a decent PAL port.

Edited by IntelliMission
  • Like 3

Thanks for the suggestions Intellimission. Since you like platformers I totally recommend A Bug's Life and Monsters Inc. Scream Team / Scare Island.

It's a shame though with Monsters Inc, that after completeing it there doesn't seem to be any reason in going back to it, as there's no scores or times to try and beat, no harder difficulties to unlock, etc. Unless you just want to play through the whole game again.

I'm going to get either a region free PS1 or a Japanese or American PS1. I will get the right model which I will be able to put into this rare third party clear PS1 shell that I have.

67743326_ebayUnboxingThirdPartyClearPS1ShellFromVenezuela1.thumb.jpg.b3f3d63431f660d1a519cbdc7b9f6bbd.jpg

585178576_ebayUnboxingThirdPartyClearPS1ShellFromVenezuela_0001.thumb.jpg.aed9e55f13a8ab84a67be8f48e59cd1a.jpg
Edited by Ross PK
  • Like 3

14 hours ago, Ross PK said:

Thanks for the suggestions Intellimission. Since you like platformers I totally recommend A Bug's Life and Monsters Inc. Scream Team / Scare Island.

It's a shame though with Monsters Inc, that after completeing it there doesn't seem to be any reason in going back to it, as there's no scores or times to try and beat, no harder difficulties to unlock, etc. Unless you just want to play through the whole game again.

I'm going to get either a region free PS1 or a Japanese or American PS1. I will get the right model which I will be able to put into this rare third party clear PS1 shell that I have.

67743326_ebayUnboxingThirdPartyClearPS1ShellFromVenezuela1.thumb.jpg.b3f3d63431f660d1a519cbdc7b9f6bbd.jpg

585178576_ebayUnboxingThirdPartyClearPS1ShellFromVenezuela_0001.thumb.jpg.aed9e55f13a8ab84a67be8f48e59cd1a.jpg

Wow, that's cool, is this a printed version?

@Ross PK Monsters Inc. looks pretty cool! But I've read that it's a bit too easy (aimed at little kids).

About A Bug's Life, well... I already played it in 1998 and didn't like it, but thanks anyway. If you like that one, I guess your jaw will drop to the floor when you play Spyro, Gex 3D or Croc (very underrated and with amazing music and gameplay, it controls like Tomb Raider!).

I forgot to add the following genres to my recommendations:

- Musical games: Both Parappa the Rapper and UmJammer Lammy are extremely cool, but if you want some more challenge try Beatmania, and if you want a 2 player Vs. dancing game try Bust A Move Dance (the Japanese version, with better vocals in the songs) for some catchy tunes with the right amount of Japanese weirdness.

- Gangster driving games: Driver and GTA2 are really good. The radio stations on GTA2 are hilarious and feature many fake songs created just for the game. Driver grabs your attention since the very beginning, when you have to do some driving tricks in a garage.

- 2.D platformers: Klonoa and Tombi 1 & 2 are amazing, but you can always try Disney's Hercules or the Pandemonium games if you're curious, as they're very solid games.

Edited by IntelliMission
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, high voltage said:

Wow, that's cool, is this a printed version?

3D printed? No, these were mass produced in the late 1990's in Hong Kong.

Interestingly, for some reason the majority of these and PS2 shells that are for sale on ebay are in Venezuela. 

Edited by Ross PK
  • Like 1

Was just looking around on ebay and found a couple of clear orange cases for the newer model PS1. I've never seen any clear or clear coloured cases for the newer model PS1 before.

Here's the links if anyone is interested in getting one.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SONY-PLAYSTATION-PSOne-REPLACEMENT-CONSOLE-SHELL-Clear-Orange-Housing-Case-Mod/363308116189?hash=item5496d9e8dd:g:QOcAAOSwu51gJReX

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SONY-PLAYSTATION-PSOne-REPLACEMENT-CONSOLE-SHELL-Clear-Orange-NEW-Housing-Case/373479485430?hash=item56f51caff6:g:RUsAAOSwUwVgJQ79

ps1orange.jpg

Edited by Ross PK
  • Like 1

On 3/7/2021 at 11:41 AM, Ross PK said:

Dang, Looks Nice

I'd like to remember how cool it was to play the Japanese version of Soul Edge at a friend's house on the beach during the summer of 97.

Spectacular not only the intro, but the music, the 3D ring outs and the Sword Master mode, which changed to an interactive first person's view in some endings where you had to hit something with the sword.

Soul Edge/Blade's OST rocked. That summer I knew that I had to have that console at home. In November he already had it.

• Like 2

I Love the PS1!

I wasn't gonna get one, as I'd just moved back in with the folks following college and had very little money, but my friend Chad (who was our guitarist in the band Monastat 7) asked me and the bassist (Marc) to come over and check out his brand new PlayStation.  As soon as we saw Twisted Metal,  I knew it was time to save up!

Then I lucked into a deal for one, and couldn't say no...Mine has a date of FEB 1996 on it.

So many Great games, ... Favorites include All things Twisted Metal, Castlevania, Gex, Pandemonium, Crash, Spyro, Resident Evil, and LUNAR,... plus Legend of Dragoon, Silent Hill, many RPGs, Art Dink games (Yeah, it was me), and all of the Arcade Compilations...

Tough to get a good pic with my phone, but here's most of my games.  The old long boxes are further back, hidden by PS2 stuff...

20210313_130633.thumb.jpg.cf5c990c11ba4be4310043086fcdec9c.jpg

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

I got one of these the other day:

MemCard PRO (8bitmods)

MCP-Black.jpg.d044c8290bd84d9605a223b550b57b16.jpg

---Overview---

This is a memory card substitute that allows you to create "unlimited" memory cards stored on an SD card.  This means you can easily store every save of every game you'd ever want on a single card.  No more swapping memory cards or devoting an entire memory card to Tecmo's Deception, etc.

MemCard Pro also works with optical disk emulators to automatically load virtual memory cards based on the game you are playing, but I don't have an ODE so haven't tested it.

---Operation---

Each time you create a "virtual" memory card on the SD card, it provides you with eight "channels" of save space.  In other words, each virtual memory card contains eight "pages" each with 15 blocks of memory each.  You use the buttons on the MemCard Pro to swap channels/pages.

You can also swap virtual memory cards themselves using a button combination on the controller.

---Evaluation---

It works great, but it's a bit clunky to use just with the on-device buttons and controller button combinations.  However, you can connect MemCard Pro to your wireless network to enable a GUI from a phone, PC, etc.  This really unlocks the power of the device.  You can rename virtual memory cards so that they name shows up on the MemCard Pro screen (so "Chrono Cross" instead of "MemoryCard1", etc.).  You can also use the UI to swap cards, though this too is a bit clunky imo.  I'd rather that the buttons on the device itself swap between virtual memory cards rather than channels/pages... with "unlimited" space I really see no need to even use the additional channels/pages when you could just make individual virtual memory cards for every game in the library on a single SD card.

Save files are sadly not stored individually on the MemCard Pro SD Card.  Instead, each virtual memory card gets a folder, and then in each folder there is one file for each of the eight channels/pages.  Also sadly, the virtual memory card folders are not renamed when you rename the cards in the UI (so they will still be "MemoryCard1" etc. for instance).  This means you cannot backup/restore individual saves, so you'd have to backup the entire contents of each memory card folder and I guess restore that to a new "empty" virtual memory card.  Pretty clunky.  To work with individual saves, you'll still need to keep a regular memory card around.

---Conclusion---

If you are a PSX fanatic like me with a large library of games (including lots of RPGs), this is definitely worth considering.  Yes, you could probably buy a dozen official (used) PSX memory cards and just devote individual cards to RPGs, etc. and get by fine.  Or, you could get dozens of those aftermarket memory cards if you are willing to risk it.  However, if you want something reliable and play more than a dozen or so memory-card-hogging games, this is very nice indeed.

The developer continues to add features, and I hope we will be able to backup and restore individual saves at some point.

• Like 2

Just thought I'd add some more thoughts after using the MemCard Pro pretty extensively today.

I've found the web UI to be a bit buggy.  I couldn't create more than 9 virtual memory cards, for instance—it would just load one of my existing virtual memory cards as "MemoryCardX" with a random number for X.  It wouldn't actually rename the memory card, etc., and it didn't screw up any files saved on the card thank goodness.

Luckily, you can use a controller button combination (L1+R1+Select+Up) to create a new blank virtual memory card.  From there I could copy files over (using the PSX memory card manager) and rename it (using the web UI) no problem.  So, even though everything works, it's still a bit clunky if you have a ton of memory card saves to copy over.

Once set up, it's fine though.  I can swap memory cards either through the controller button combo or the UI without a problem.  Saving and loading works fine, of course.

I have it set up now with a "general purpose" virtual memory card as "MemoryCard1", which has 8 pages of 15 blocks each for playing random games that only need a single block to save.  I then have individual virtual memory cards set up for games that take up many blocks (King's Field, Tecmo's Deception, etc.) or RPGs where I would want to keep multiple saves.

I'll probably end up consolidating my saves a bit, because there are a LOT of RPGs on this system!  I might set up a single virtual memory card for each series, for instance, which individual channels devoted to each game in the series... for example, a "Suikoden" memory card with Suikoden 1 on channel 1 and Suikoden 2 on channel 2.

Edited by newtmonkey
  • Like 1