IGNORED

The Official Playstation Thread

NinjaWarrior

21 hours ago, IntelliMission said:

15917-prince-of-persia-dos-screenshot-he

You stealing my bottles

What a coincidence!  My other passion, besides RPGs, is drinking people's bottles when they aren't looking!

---

In other MemCard Pro news...

On 4/29/2021 at 9:56 PM, newtmonkey said:

I'll probably end up consolidating my saves a bit, because there are a LOT of RPGs on this system!  I might set up a single virtual memory card for each series, for instance, which individual channels devoted to each game in the series... for example, a "Suikoden" memory card with Suikoden 1 on channel 1 and Suikoden 2 on channel 2.

I ended doing this, and it works quite well!  I now have, for example, a "Final Fantasy" virtual memory card with 15 blocks for FF7 on channel 1, 15 blocks for FF8 on channel 2, and so on.

The product has its quirks and takes a bit of getting used to, but it works great.  Highly recommended for PSX maniacs.

• Like 2

Followup on using Memcard Pro for a week or so...

I found out that you can use "freepsxboot" to give MemCard Pro access to a game's GameID.  This allows MemCard Pro to determine the game that's in the drive even without modifying your console in any way.  MemCard Pro will automatically load the correct virtual memory card, or create a new one linked to the game if none exist.  VERY handy!

Installing it is easy.  You just download the correct freepsxboot memory card image, replace virtual memcard 1 channel 1 on MemCard Pro with it, boot the system, and access the memory card manager.  This causes freepsxboot to load up.  From there, you insert your game and press R1 on your controller, which starts the game up and provides the GameID to MemCard Pro.  I can confirm it works great!

Edited by newtmonkey

Hey @newtmonkey, I believe you're Japanese and therefore have a NTSC-J Playstation. However and now that you have unlimited space in your memory cards... why don't you make a song? Use this:

One of the advantages of your memory card is that you can freely play games such as Music 2000/MTV Music Generator, where songs can take up to 15 slots:

SLES-02224-B-ALL.jpg

It can also be a refreshing change from the RPG genre.

Edited by IntelliMission
  • Like 2

• 1 month later...

Did anyone play the Playstation version of Pitfall by Activision? It was one of the few games I rented (they were mostly pirated or magazine demos, and never originals).

The game was probably the most interesting I found on that Blockbuster that day. This was a time before the release of Spyro, Metal Gear Solid, Silent Hill and other big hits.

I remember playing for several hours, I'm not sure if I planned to finish the game in 2 days. The thing is, I stopped playing for some reason. I think I found the game quite... okay? But something was missing.

One of the negatives for me was the strange looking 3D world. The framerate was not too high (I was playing at 80% the speed thanks to those old NTSC to PAL conversions) and the world felt dead and non-interactive compared to Croc, Gex 3D or Crash Bandicoot.

However, it was an interesting update of a classic without any real flaw: good looking graphics, great sounds... The jumping was a bit irritating, but that's okay.

I think I should try the original Pitfall instead, which I suspect will be more precise and will give a stronger sense of adventure.

(I think the other games I rented were Destruction Derby 2, Disruptor and Air Combat, so this one was the only one that wasn't epic! Still a decent game).

Edited by IntelliMission
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, IntelliMission said:

Did anyone play the Playstation version of Pitfall by Activision? It was one of the few games I rented (they were mostly pirated or magazine demos, and never originals).

The game was probably the most interesting I found on that Blockbuster that day. This was a time before the release of Spyro, Metal Gear Solid, Silent Hill and other big hits.

I remember playing for several hours, I'm not sure if I planned to finish the game in 2 days. The thing is, I stopped playing for some reason. I think I found the game quite... okay? But something was missing.

One of the negatives for me was the strange looking 3D world. The framerate was not too high (I was playing at 80% the speed thanks to those old NTSC to PAL conversions) and the world felt dead and non-interactive compared to Croc, Gex 3D or Crash Bandicoot.

However, it was an interesting update of a classic without any real flaw: good looking graphics, great sounds... The jumping was a bit irritating, but that's okay.

I think I should try the original Pitfall instead, which I suspect will be more precise and will give a stronger sense of adventure.

(I think the other games I rented were Destruction Derby 2, Disruptor and Air Combat, so this one was the only one that wasn't epic! Still a decent game).

Yeah it's been a long time but I have that Pitfall 3D game...IIRC It has Bruce Campbell doing the voiceovers, so he says "My name is Harry", but all I hear is "My name is Ash"...haha...It was really fun for a time then I think I just moved onto something else...I still have it.  May need to pop it in again!

Speaking of PlayStation...

In the late 90's,  I had friends who ran a (somewhat underground) music club (for occasional concerts I mean)/studio.  Our band (Anarchy Dragon) played there and I ran sound and provided PA for the shows in exchange for recording time.   Hanging out in the back of the place, (the studio part) they had high ceilings/big walls and hooked a projector up to a PlayStation one night.  I remember it was a huge screen like a mini movie theater, I thought.  I brought over Twisted Metal 2 and 3, and Driver.  Driver was a bit of a surprise hit, because we could easily take turns playing the "survival" (?) mode where you just outrun/outlast the cops as long as you can, then pass the controller to the next person,...Kicking back and drinking beer all the while.   Those were  some Good Times!

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I think the PSX is the last console I truly loved.  The library is simply amazing, you've got big budget (for the time) blockbusters alongside highly experimental games made probably by a team of just a handful of people.  No matter what genre you like, you'll find plenty of games to enjoy.  It really was a perfect storm type of situation—graphics were still primitive enough that even high budget games had relatively small teams, and development costs were apparently low enough that random companies were happy to dip their toes into game development.  There were even some very decent PC ports for the first time—excellent versions of Doom, X-COM, Civ 2, and even Master of Magic (in Japan).

It was also the first Japanese console where western developers really began to shine.  The Nintendo and Sega consoles (and TG16/PCE) were dominated by Japanese games, and it seemed that western developers had trouble keeping up (of course there were some awesome non-Japanese games on those consoles, such as the Genesis sports games, Shape Shifter on TG16, and Secret of Evermore on SNES).  The PSX saw a lot of great western games, some of which went on to become legendary gaming series, such as Crash Bandicoot, Legacy of Kain/Soul Reaver, Tomb Raider, Syphon Filter, and Twisted Metal.  It was just a magical time for consoles.

• Like 3

Have I posted in this thread yet? I don't think so. I will now.

I skipped that entire console generation. I'm sure that I've mentioned this before elsewhere in the forums. Still, some of my friends had the system and I do specifically remember the first time I saw the controller at my friend's house. It was TERRIFYING. Soooooooooooo many buttons and they had nonsense shapes on them instead of ABC like I was used to. I had absolutely no idea what the hell was going on with that controller.

I was like 6 or 7 and had only a Genesis 2 and a few Macs at home, so maybe for you SFC/SNES types it might have seemed kind of normal, but for me with basically no SNES experience at the time, that thing was the single most intimidating controller I had ever seen. Like you could give me a joystick and a keyboard and tell me to play X-Wing or TIE Fighter on the Mac and I'd have no problem, but that damn PS1 controller was unbelievably confusing. Like why the hell are they shapes? Is there a problem with ABC? Is there a meaning to the shapes (yes, there is, but I didn't know it until about 2018 or so) or are they random? Why are there EVEN MORE BUTTONS ON THE TOP? WHAT IS HAPPENING!?!?!

Then I played Jedi Power Battles at a different friend's house and I figured it out and had a lot of fun. Still never got my own until after I already had a PS2. I bought a PSone with my own money and that was the first system that I bought with my own money. It also remains the only system that I have ever gotten rid of, as well, as I sold it within only a few years. I REALLY regret selling that thing now, though.

Still, my PS1 experience is very limited. So is my PS2 experience, for that matter. Eventually I might get into the libraries of both of them more, but I have a few games, like Einhander, Metal Gear Solid, and my childhood copies of Jedi Power Battles and both Medal of Honor games, here with me now. I actually just bought Jumping Flash! a few weeks ago but have not played it yet.

This was kind of a rambling mess of a post, but whatever. I don't feel like making it not a mess.

• Like 1

Hey maybe someone can help me here maybe not?

What are some of the conditions of a PS1 system (original style) model 5501 with the more stable drive than other versions, where it can start having problems where progressively the controller functons drop out until you unplug and pop it back in?

I did have it on a carpet, but not a fuzzy one, very super 1/8" style low cut flat rug when it happened.  Had a real memory card in the slot, and a crap interact one in the second when it occurred.  Tried using the original pad and a dual shock.  Was running SOTN as it was handy.  Sometimes it would play 5min or almost 20+ then do that stuff.  I was thinking overheat?  Maybe it was, would overheat do this?  It didn't happen the second time I used it, but I started trying to break the code on what the issue was.  Put the PS on a couple disc cases, removed or swapped the controllers/memory cards in use, tried another game even, never repeated.

It came from this mixed bag lot of stuff I bought for $40 that was in a big tub nearly a month ago, all sorts of odds and ends just thrown in there, full sega genesis setup minus the console, random nes/snes gen games, the ps1 with all it came with, added pad, dual shock, then 3 interact turd party pieces.  Happy pick up either way, love the NES satellite it had in there too.  I was thinking of 50/50 keeping or selling the PS1 to get even/ahead on it but that stability issue had me worried and now I can't seem to repeat it.  Would it be so weird to think being in a tub for 10+ years just made it pissy after so long being abandoned to the elements?

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I found a PS1 devkit for sale last week in a store. I forget how much it was (but it was expensive. ~30000 yen, I think) and I have absolutely no need for it, but I'm kind of tempted to buy it because I'm irrational. I wonder if it's region-free like the way I think the PS3 debug/test system is.

Edited by Steven Pendleton
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...

The most obscure PS1 games:

Baldies

Caesars Palace II

Detective Barbie: The Mystery Cruise

Dr. Seuss: The Cat in the Hat

Family Game Pack

Ford Truck Mania

Jeopardy! 2nd Edition

Johnny Bazookatone

Mobil 1 Rally Championship

Pajama Sam: You are What you Eat from Your Head to Your Feet

Polaris SnoCross

Roadsters

Rock 'Em Sock 'Em Robots Arena

Sentinel Returns

Shanghai: True Valor

Shockwave Assault

SnoCross Championship Racing

Strike Point

Swagman

The Three Stooges

TNN Motor Sports Hardcore TR

Total Eclipse Turbo

WarJetz

World Destruction League: Thunder Tanks

Zoboomafoo: Leapin' Lemurs!

ATV Racers

Barbie: Gotta Have Games

Dragon Tales: Dragon Seek

Family Feud

The Land Before Time: Big Water Adventure

Machine Head

Miracle Space Race

Psybadek

TigerShark

Vegas Games 2000

Virtual Kasparov

VMX Racing

Arthur! Ready to Race

Bug Riders

Builder's Block

Creatures: Raised in Space

Disney's Winnie the Pooh: Kindergarten

Disney's Winnie the Pooh: Preschool

Easter Bunny's Big Day

Geom Cube

Patriotic Pinball

Psychic Detective

Rascal Racers

Rescue Copter

Sea-Doo HydroCross

Starwinder: The Ultimate Space Race

VR Sports Powerboat Racing

The Wild Thornberrys: Animal Adventures

XS Moto

The Amazing Virtual Sea-Monkeys

ATV Mania

Eliminator

Extreme Go-Kart Racing

Freestyle Motocross: McGrath Vs. Pastrana

Grid Runner

JumpStart: Wildlife Safari Field Trip

Marble Master

Michelin Rally Masters: Race of Champions

Nick Jr. Dora the Explorer: Barnyard Buddies

Rescue Heroes: Molten Menace

Supercross Circuit

Tall Infinity

XS Airboat Racing

All Star Racing 2

Family Card Games Fun Pack

Puzznic

Renegade Racers

Tonka Space Station

Blockids

Eggs of Steel: Charlie's Eggcellent Adventure

Motocross Mania 2

Pro Pinball: Timeshock!

Superstar Dance Club: #1 Hits!!!

Dirt Jockey

Power Rangers Zeo: Full Tilt Battle Pinball

Sports Superbike 2

Razor Racing

Ultimate Brain Games

Wreckin Crew

EA Racing

Mobile Armor

EA Action

EA Sports

Power Play: Sports Trivia

Slots

Liquid Books 1: Lety's Favorite Stories

• Like 1

The machine that got me into Import gaming once i had it chipped. 

Notiable nominations for the titles that really made it for myself. 

Xcom

Syndicate Wars

Colony Wars:Vengeance 

Overboard 

Einhander

Parasite Eve

Resident Evil 2

Silent Hill (NTSC) 

FF7

Xenogears 

Alien Resurrection 

War one 2100

Medievil 

Doom

Destruction Derby 

Legacy Of Kain :Soul Reaver

The Retro compilations were an absolute godsend as well. 

• 2 weeks later...

My brother got it when it launched. It's an August 95 model. He and some pals used to D&D and we'd play when they took breaks or when the folk's went and got pizza those nights. Tekken and Twisted Metal is what we played, aside from checking out other games and demo discs. Then my brother imported Tekken 2 and showed me how to load it with the spring and US game. Years later I traded him my boxed 97 model for his 95. Still works like a charm! I'll have to take a pic of my games later.

• Like 2

Here we go! The Tecmo's Deception import is bootleg, but it does work and has to be loaded like the other imports. If I remember, the first game I bought was KoF 95 and the first import I bought was Real Bout. A gem imo is Shadow Madness. A satire rpg with dated jokes, but I recommend it if you see it out in the wild. 

IMG_20220511_153741.jpg

IMG_20220511_153646.jpg

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

I hooked my trusty PSONE back up the other day (22 years old, stuck in a closet for several years, and still runs perfectly) and resumed playing...

Genso Suikoden

This is one of the first games I got back in the day when I first bought the good old Playstation.  I remember not really getting into it back then, as it didn't really seem any better than the RPGs I had been playing on my SNES.  In hindsight, I was pretty foolish to think that, as it's a pretty good game—definitely better than the second string SNES RPGs like Breath of Fire and Lufia/Estpolis.

I'm about 11 hours into this so far, and I really like it.  It's not anything mind-blowing, but there's a lot to like about it:

• Interesting story that feels better written and more grounded than what you get in most RPGs from Japan
  • Six-character party
  • The addictive aspect of going around gathering all 108 characters, many of whom are actually playable
  • The joy of tweaking your party once you've made some progress into the game; it's awesome when you finally unlock a new character that perfectly fills the hole in the party composition you're planning
  • Snappy battle system where range matters, with some great looking sprites and "not bad" polygonal backgrounds; I love how the "auto battle" option has multiple characters all attacking at once
  • Tons of equipment slots to tweak
  • Customization galore, with crests to learn spells or gain interesting combat skills, weapon mods, etc.
  • Really great soundtrack, up there with the classics imo
  • Some decent variety, with army battles using a rock-paper-scissor type system, and one-on-one duels with enemy generals

The only negatives imo are that the game seems really easy so far (to the point where some of the stuff above becomes meaningless), and that some of the backgrounds are REALLY poor.  The latter negative is pretty suprising, because the game otherwise looks really good.  You'll walk through a beautiful forest that's more detailed than any 16-bit RPG, then walk into a house that looks like something out of a really bad RPG Maker game.  Really bizarre.  I wonder if the interiors were kept really simple to reduce load times.

Anyway, I just completed my first army battle and duel, and headed back to my fortress to tweak my party.  It's so refreshing to play a Japanese RPG where I have almost total control of my party and can create a party of six out of, I dunno, a dozen characters at this point?  Very nice.

Edited by newtmonkey
  • Like 1

Wireless controller for PS1

I have been using this Brook adapter to connect my wireless PS4 controller to my PSOne, and it works great:

https://www.brookaccessory.com/detail/44237976/

It apparently also works with a Dual Shock 3, but I've read that the PS4 controller actually has less lag over Bluetooth (and I feel that the PS4 controller is built a bit better than the DS3...).  At any rate, it's as simple as plugging the adapter into the Playstation, plugging the controller into the adapter via USB cable, and syncing.  You only need to do this once, and from then on you can connect wirelessly by pressing the PS button on the controller.

The nice thing about the PS4 (and Dual Shock 3) controller is that it has the same layout as the PS1 controller; i.e. the dpad is level with the action buttons, with the analog sticks lower down.  It feels pretty much like just using a regular PS1 controller.

Highly recommended!

Edited by newtmonkey

On 4/23/2022 at 7:25 PM, electricmastro said:

The most obscure PS1 games:

Baldies

Ford Truck Mania

Jeopardy! 2nd Edition

Johnny Bazookatone

Polaris SnoCross

Roadsters

Rock 'Em Sock 'Em Robots Arena

Sentinel Returns

Shockwave Assault

SnoCross Championship Racing

Swagman

TNN Motor Sports Hardcore TR

Total Eclipse Turbo

World Destruction League: Thunder Tanks

The Land Before Time: Big Water Adventure

Machine Head

Miracle Space Race

Psybadek

Virtual Kasparov

Geom Cube

Patriotic Pinball

Psychic Detective

Starwinder: The Ultimate Space Race

XS Moto

The Amazing Virtual Sea-Monkeys

Eliminator

Grid Runner

Tall Infinity

Puzznic

Pro Pinball: Timeshock!

Power Rangers Zeo: Full Tilt Battle Pinball

EA Racing

EA Action

EA Sports

Not hardly. A lot of these were high profile and absolutely everywhere. Machine Head????? Every used game store in the country had a copy. 

Are these EA things even games?

Eggs of Steel is truly obscure, I’ll grant you. That one is high on my wantlist despite the unsavory name.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, jgkspsx said:

Not hardly. A lot of these were high profile and absolutely everywhere. Machine Head????? Every used game store in the country had a copy. 

Are these EA things even games?

Eggs of Steel is truly obscure, I’ll grant you. That one is high on my wantlist despite the unsavory name.

Guess it depends on perspective I guess. Eggs of Steel I never hear anyone talk about either, though I wouldn't be surprised if he was inspired by the somewhat more well-known Dizzy. lol