IGNORED

The Official Playstation Thread

NinjaWarrior

• 2 weeks later...
5 hours ago, ABA180 said:

Still have my 1 and a ton of games (some longbox)..and many I wish I hadn't parted with.  

Though the damn system doesn't seem to be loading the games past the boot screen now..thoughts?

My two cents, but the laser could be dead/dying. if you're adventurous you could try adjusting it. I've fixed a handful of PS1s doing this that wouldn't play my discs

On 12/23/2023 at 8:02 PM, Astro Rabby said:

Jumping Flash is one of my favorite games ever, would love to see it remade one day.

this is one of the first PS1 games we played. maybe the first polygonal game I ever saw. been in love with it since 1995. I finally got a CIB copy I can call my own a couple years ago and beat the game. at least the first part of it before they make you go through again and play through it faster

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, ABA180 said:

I might have but I should give it a try just to rule out other options..

There are multiple things to try to attempt a fix for the system. The first thing I would check is flipping the system. Over time the CD drive rails would wear down, flipping it fixes the problem.

The next check I would do would be a dirty lens. Isopropyl alcohol and a q-tip should work, but be careful. The lens is floating on multiple springs and could be damaged or scratched (so really soak that q-tip). Alternatively they make CD cleaners that have brushes you soak in isopropyl alcohol that clean the lens as it spins.

Beyond that there are other fixes, but the 2 above fix the majority of failures.

• Like 1

I traded my '98 PS for my brother's Aug '95 years ago so I could play imports. The thing is still going. I remember playing Twisted Metal and Tekken with my brother and his friends when they took D&D breaks back in the day. I also found out a couple years ago it could also play burned discs. I'll list my top ten;

1. Tecmo's Deception

2. SOTN

3. Tekken(1, 2, 3)

4. SFA 3

5. Pocket Fighter

6. Bushido Blade(1, 2)

7. Shadow Madness

8. Real Bout Fatal Fury Special.

9. K.O.F. '95

10. Street Fighter Collection 

• Like 1

Alright y'all, guess I get to join the club of PS1 owners.

I picked up two consoles for a decent price: an SCPH 5501 and an SCPH-101 (slim). They should be arriving at my place in about a week or so. 

Are there any diehard slim fans who prefer it over the original model? Just out of curiosity. I ended up getting both cause I just couldn't deny how nice I thought the slim looked, and I always wanted to get an original model too.

• Like 1

Oh yes, and I forgot to mention.

To commemorate this purchase, I also picked up some games that were highly regarded by some of you. I grabbed the Spyro trilogy (Spyro The Dragon, Spyro 2, Spyro Year of the Dragon), and Tenchu: an early attempt at a 3D stealth game — from what I can tell.

I also would've gotten Twisted Metal... if it wasn't 4x the price I paid for the console :C4

Edit: also bought Omega Boost, lol.

Edited by RetroSonicHero

• 2 weeks later...

For those into pre-rendered pretense parties:

To be fair, Sony Computer Entertainment's Japan Studio were wise to take the timing-based battle systems of Super Mario RPG and Final Fantasy VIII, and make something unique. Too bad that they cancelled the PS2 sequel...

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...