IGNORED

Girlfriend playing Robotron

doug0909

36 minutes ago, doubledown said:

No, Pac-Man cabinets in North America used the Bally/Midway 4-way leaf switch joysticks...and they absolutely play better than every micro-switch joystick. 

I stand corrected on the make of the joystick but the same priciples apply for all leaf switch joysticks. They might absolutely play better than ever micro switch joystick, for you and your play style preferences. I am in awe that you have tried every micro-switch joystick. Just how many is that? I am speaking about my personal preferences and unlike others, I refuse to attack another persons preferences. This is not a thread about science, and it's not about your preferences alone but thats all that seems to matter. Dis·cus·sion: noun - the action or process of talking about something in order to reach a decision or to exchange ideas. Theres none of that going on here....

Edited by cedropoole

4 hours ago, doubledown said:

And that is exactly what I am saying, there is a very large market for "inexpensive".  Whether thats Arcade1UP cabinets, or small little controllers for home consoles.  To those in the market for these products, price and size are the most important factors.

No, actually retail availability at any number of local and online stores, and not having to worry about constant maintenance on 50 year old Cathode Ray tubes, leaf switch controls, and dusty, cold solder jointed proprietary mainboards that require specialized knowledge and care os most of the driving factor for them. 

Price is certainly also a factor too, though there are plenty who own them who would argue their size is less than desirable. 

1 hour ago, cedropoole said:

I am in awe that you have tried every micro-switch joystick. Just how many is that? 

I've use a few different joysticks: 

SxMqHN.jpg

HeKgq7.jpg

lAFc2D.png

0CXhbU.png

Xs2EK2.jpg

MgauHr.jpg

MEqOae.jpg

plus others...and as I've said, everybody is entitled to their own opinion, whether they're wrong or not. ?

1 hour ago, John Stamos Mullet said:

No, actually retail availability at any number of local and online stores, and not having to worry about constant maintenance on 50 year old Cathode Ray tubes, leaf switch controls, and dusty, cold solder jointed proprietary mainboards that require specialized knowledge and care os most of the driving factor for them. 

Price is certainly also a factor too, though there are plenty who own them who would argue their size is less than desirable. 

If people wanted a legit cabinet thats been refurbished and reliable, they could get one...at a lot higher price than one available at Wal-Mart.

Just now, doubledown said:

If people wanted a legit cabinet thats been refurbished and reliable, they could get one...at a lot higher price than one available at Wal-Mart.

They could. Some have. They're not nearly as easy to find, or feasible to transport. Money is part of the issue, but not all of it. There are Plenty of full size cabs that need work on Craigslist for $400-$500.

You really live up to your username, huh?

I forgot to mention (and to further the discussion), for those who may appreciate the silence of a leaf-switch joystick, but are leary of the potential scary amount of maintenance, there is a new optical joystick available from Buttercade.  The technology isn't new, the original Gorf and Berzerk arcade joysticks were optical, as were aftermarket options from WICO and HAPP back in the day.  What Buttercade did, was develop a new optical lower PCB that replaces the micro-switches on an iL EuroJoystick 2 that he calls the OpticIL.  I just got my pre-ordered model in the other day, and with the little testing I've done with it so far I like it.  As an optical stick, it does require power...I read the current draw at only 32mA when connected to my 7800, which powers it, no problem.  Of note, as an iL EuroJoystick 2, it is only available with a molded bat knob lever, but Focus Attack sells the "standard" and "extended" length 6mm threaded iL replacement shafts, which allow for use with a ball knob...as is my preference.  No, I'm not affiliated with either vendor mentioned...just a customer who wants to try every quality joystick I can get my hands on.  

As mentioned by others, the 7800 is a pretty easy console to wire a controller for, if you're so inclined. And while not my size preference...

sjw0ze.png

...little arcade-ish controllers can be made pretty cheaply, to mildly expensive...depending on your parts selection.