IGNORED

Story of the ColecoVision Video

Ikrananka

I was initially quite excited to come across this YouTube video titled "The Story of the ColecoVision".  While I was pleased that the person making the video recognised how good the ColecoVision was (and still is) but he unfortunately perpetuated quite a few inaccuracies and myths as well.  So, rather a hit and miss video but nice to see anyway.

• Like 4

Personally i don't think. It is a very good computer for its time but It had reliability problems.:(  But it is what the video said. 

I would love to be able to have one back in time , but i had to sell my coleco to buy a commodore 64.  could not afford the Adam :(..     now, i know the C64 was the best choice i could do , but back in time i really wanted an ADAM.

4 hours ago, Serguei2 said:

Is Coleco Adam that bad? I'm aware cassette basic can be erased accidently, but after that, ...

Far, far from it. The biggest hangups with the system were the initial roll out defects and numerous mistakes in the owner's manuals that were cleaned up in short order by the end of 1983. A lot, and I do mean a lot, of the systems that were returned as defective were due to first time computer user error and should I say lack of understanding. I also seem to recall IBM experienced a world of issues with the roll out of the PCjr., but for some reason it's just not as talked about as the ADAM.

What it all boils down to is the lack of support for the ADAM from 3rd Party companies and then Coleco dropping support after only 14 months on the retail market. What you have in the ADAM is basically the precursor (perhaps even comparable) to the MSX1 line of computers, but without the tremendous support.

15 minutes ago, NIAD said:

Far, far from it. The biggest hangups with the system were the initial roll out defects and numerous mistakes in the owner's manuals that were cleaned up in short order by the end of 1983. A lot, and I do mean a lot, of the systems that were returned as defective were due to first time computer user error and should I say lack of understanding. I also seem to recall IBM experienced a world of issues with the roll out of the PCjr., but for some reason it's just not as talked about as the ADAM.

What it all boils down to is the lack of support for the ADAM from 3rd Party companies and then Coleco dropping support after only 14 months on the retail market. What you have in the ADAM is basically the precursor (perhaps even comparable) to the MSX1 line of computers, but without the tremendous support.

I bought a PCjr in 1986 and I never noted there are issues as well.