IGNORED

SAMS memory as RAMDISK?

jrhodes

I don't believe there has been any programs to use the Sams as a ramisk. It is probably possible to hold data in the sam's memory with a battery, and there are some battery backed srams on the market, so in theory it could be used to back up data, but the structure of how it retains that data would have to be defined and probably coded in a dsr of some kind like a Horizon ramdisk, to be able to access as files.

• Like 1

SAMS doesn't work that way, normally. As noted, it doesn't hold memory when powered off, although Zeropower SRAMs can get around that issue (note: they are much more expensive than the regular RAM chips). There isn't a DSR on the card either, so no integrated disk management opportunities. Lastly, the card uses a memory mapper chip that provides a 32K window into the total memory space of the card. You need to manage where that window is with your software. Existing SAMS-aware software isn't expecting it to be used as a ramdisk and will step all over it.

It could be used to store lots of data for a program written to use it that way (Realms of Antiquity and many other SAMS programs do this), but using it as a stand alone ramdisk is probably a whole lot more trouble than it is worth.

• Like 2

To function effectively as a disk device... you would want to use something like the File DSR used in the MINI MEMORY module.

This should provide a speed boost!

I've given some consideration to using this technique with the FG99.

The bottleneck for me is that the MINI MEMORY's, DSR  is written in GPL.

But ...would be short, fast, free!:ponder:

P.S. Good thinking!:grin:

• Like 1

How about the other way around? Use the HRD4000B as a ramdisk and SAMS replacement.

Have to go through the development manual again, but if I recall correctly there’s enough RAM on the HRD4000B that you can get away with it. Obviously you have to do your own paging, so your software have to support it. 

How about the other way around? Use the HRD4000B as a ramdisk and SAMS replacement.
Have to go through the development manual again, but if I recall correctly there’s enough RAM on the HRD4000B that you can get away with it. Obviously you have to do your own paging, so your software have to support it. 

If you want a Sams get a Sams :)

Sent from my LM-V600 using Tapatalk

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

I am working in the future for a bunch of features to show the power of SAMS.

Possibly unlimited size of a single XB program along with assembly support too by paging in 4K pages of RAM.

Using the SAMS as a RAMDISK is like using your mouse as a hammer or your keyboard as a pry bar.

• Like 1