IGNORED

TI Preservation

dhe

In an effort to preserve my TI Equipment and make it run as error free and as long as possible, I purchased a UPS to sit the equipment behind.

I'm getting ready to install a gotek drive, so I was think about some long deferred maintenance.

In the past, I pull a card, put some ipa on a 4x5 index card and straight in and down in to the slots. Then a bit of ipa on a lint free qtip and clean the bottoms edge connectors of the cards from the pbox.

Last step is to gently push down on an socketed chips. I think this time I would add a visual inspection of all voltage regulators.

Once I get Jim extender card, I should probably add voltage readings to have a baseline.

Anyone else picked up any good tips from other retro sources?

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

5 hours ago, dhe said:

In an effort to preserve my TI Equipment and make it run as error free and as long as possible, I purchased a UPS to sit the equipment behind.

Hmm, despite claims to the contrary... I've never seen a UPS as a protective device ...moreover, I have seen that they can cause extensive damage!:-o

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, HOME AUTOMATION said:

Hmm, despite claims to the contrary... I've never seen a UPS as a protective device ...moreover, I have seen that they can cause extensive damage!:-o

Mine has occasionally beeped during undervolt conditions and supplied extra current.  It also acts like a surge protector during overvolt conditions and spikes.  During the power outage yesterday it allowed me to remain online for a while before shutting down properly.  I consider it protective equipment.

I have to say, it's also nice to keep ones router working during a power outage and to have light as well.  LED light bulbs take very little juice, and can run quite a long time.  

• Like 1

Yes, what they do is nice... but the way they do it is needlessly complex... simpler, custom methods, are the way to go for me...

Admittedly, there are many ways to go, and the multiple voltages, and required polarities in the TI, complicate the choices somewhat.

Also, custom solutions are involved and consuming, especially with many peripherals and interfacing to support.

I have assessed several older designs somewhat, and have a couple(not using), all more than 20 years old. I seriously doubt that consumer designs have improved.

Improperly installed equipment containing MOV's, have caused so many fires and no doubt cost lives too!

JMPTC.

• Like 1