IGNORED

Albert - new colorful game for Atari

Sikor

30 minutes ago, ilmenit said:

1. Which control scheme do you use - the default one (3)?

2. Do you play using the keyboard on the emulator? Many keyboard have limits to number of keys pressed at the same time.

1. I tried all of them but end up using the default one as it works best for me.

2. Like @MrFish said: I play on the real hardware (always some machines set up here). Emulator is just for quick testing or when travelling. Keyboard controls are a no go for me on the Emulator, just can´t handle them. At least it plays fine when I connect the Atari VCS Stick via bluetooth. It turns out to have like no latency, but it is a bit too "slubberish" for Albert.

• Like 1

Thanks to the quick reaction of Kski, the author of the game "Albert", today we have the opportunity to publish a new version, marked 1.01, which has some significant technical changes:

- when the game is loaded, a hardware test is performed, but differently than before. Instead of detecting whether the computer is PAL or NTSC, it checks if it is in 50 or 60 Hz mode;

- the music speed is improved for the NTSC 50Hz systems;
- the ESC key allows you to exit to the game menu;
- with the key OPTION on the start page, in the menu, you can turn on or off both music and sounds (MUSIC ON / OFF, SOUNDS ON / OFF);
- falling off platforms has been delayed. Now, while running, you can jump from the very edge (where the hero could no longer stand), it makes the gameplay easier;
- minimal delay, when starting from a standstill, has been introduced, so the acceleration of the hero takes a bit longer, it makes the gameplay harder.

Download of version 1.01 traditionally here: http://atarionline.pl/v01/index.php?ct=katalog&sub=A&tg=Albert#Albert

PS. Is there at least one person who finished the game, and will show us the final screen photo? :D

• Like 13
  • Thanks 6

The most exciting thing about this game is debate which it triggered :)

Great game, it's really time to show off what Atari is capable of. Great work on graphics, Kaz!

???

I will better not talk about plans/projects I have prepared for this platform :)

Edited by Gury
  • Like 2

34 minutes ago, Gury said:

I will better not talk about plans/projects I have prepared for this platform :)

Generally, never talk to others about your plans. Just make it happen, and then present it.

There always will be people trying to take influence and get you off your track, so that you never reach your goal.

1 hour ago, Kaz atarionline.pl said:

- the ESC key allows you to exit to the game menu;

This is great!

- falling off platforms has been delayed. Now, while running, you can jump from the very edge (where the hero could no longer stand), it makes the gameplay easier;

Ok, will check that, sounds like it could help me with my limited control skills. ;)

- minimal delay, when starting from a standstill, has been introduced, so the acceleration of the hero takes a bit longer, it makes the gameplay harder.

Damn it. ?

PS. Is there at least one person who finished the game, and will show us the final screen photo? :D

I put my money on @Yellow_Man, even Albert is not a shooter. ;)

• Like 5

Thanks for the new version! Plays better than the former one.

I think I found a small issue: When you die while "picking-up" a diamond, the graphics remain on the screen, while the diamond cannot be fetched  anymore.

You can end the level anyway when continuing with a new character, as the diamond is accounted but the graphic is still depicted.

3 hours ago, Kaz atarionline.pl said:

Skr - I hope you will enjoy playing it :). Could you please write what joystick (or other device) you use to play? I wonder if some controllers just play worse or is it an individual matter?

Oh yes, now I do. :)

Everybody has his favourite stick. I love the Competiton 5000 and since they´re here, the ArcadeR. I didn´t like the CX40, but since I´ve modded it with microswitches (there was a board from a Commodore-modder) I like it too, when it comes to precision. But for Albert I use my ArcadeR:

AlbertArcader.thumb.jpeg.98565fbd0179ed0cbf84bd0b2d9c8d04.jpeg

I think, there is a glitch in Level 24. They counted as collected and I could finish the level, but it confused me a bit:

Oh, and I think I shouldn´t have put my money on @Yellow_Man:

AlbertWin.thumb.jpg.f0ef9ec356cefd395819c08a5d26e3ff.jpg

?

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, _The Doctor__ said:

does that mean it's become too easy?  :)

just kidding skr. You often comment that you could play better, so when you beat it straight away I had to take a shot :)

I am glad to see your enjoyable play. The game is fun.

I´m afraid, I´m an a**hole: When we play games in the ABBUC-Bundesliga (every last Wednesday a month) I´m always starting like "What a trashy game", "Unplayable" etc. But then I get the hang of it and often reach very good scores. With games, that I played a lot in the 80s and 90s (sounds like an advert for a radio station) it´s that memory comes back quickly and then it´s just routine. But a game must attract me. I´ll never score much in Blue Max for example, which I never liked and was played in HSC short time ago.

Actually I just wanted to test the new controls in Albert, but somehow it ended up like this... Before that, I struggled a lot with the precise jumps and especially the ladders, which I always missed. But somehow this works well now for me. As they didn´t mention a change with the way how Albert grabs the ladders, I think, I just got the feeling for it. Ladders now aren´t a problem for me anymore. ;)

• Like 2

1 hour ago, patjomki said:

Do you know the reason for their decision not to release an updated version of Crownland?

No. I'm referring to 

"none the less i discover a small bug in multiplexer - it's not get items(sprites) from queue in optimal way, so if we have 4 sprites in the same charline, in queue we have: sprite1, sprite2, sprite3, sprite4. On first frame multiplexer draws: sprite1 and sprite2 on second frame it draw: sprite2 and sprite3 (and this is wrong way - we should draw now sprite3 and sprite4). I think that fixed this bug can reduce flickering a bit.."

from here:

https://atariage.com/forums/topic/116035-crownland-multiplexing/?do=findComment&comment=1401362

Like said, I'm not aware of any released version containing this change.

• Thanks 1

46 minutes ago, skr said:

I think, there is a glitch in Level 24. They counted as collected and I could finish the level, but it confused me a bit:

It's the same issue I've reported. Maybe you died on that position before?

BTW: I would appreciate the level number in the status line.

Edited by Irgendwer

19 hours ago, skr said:

Albert is a great game. When I complain about the controls, I pointed out, that it is ME, who is not able to master it, what gives me a frustrating experience.

But I actually couldn´t say, how it should be changed to make it easier for me.

I'm of two minds on the controls.

On one hand, they are unusually fluid for an Atari8 game, and I love that.   :)

On the other, I'm not used to the controls, and I often misjudge jumps...  :(

33 minutes ago, Irgendwer said:

It's the same issue I've reported. Maybe you died on that position before?

BTW: I would appreciate the level number in the status line.

No, I didn´t die there. If it is the exact same position, chances are, that it is fixable. :)

Yes, having the level numbers would be nice. :) And some kind of scoring or time limit, to be able to play this in a competition against others.

skr - congratulations on completing the game! :) And thanks for the info on the joystick.

Today the author released a new version of the game (1.02) which has a fixed bug with diamonds. Download at the same place on AtariOnline.pl game archiv.

And there is a cover picture for the game box, because there is a chance that the game will be released at Retronics.

aol_albert.png

Edited by Kaz atarionline.pl
  • Like 13

2 hours ago, Kaz atarionline.pl said:

Today the author released a new version of the game (1.02) which has a fixed bug with diamonds. Download at the same place on AtariOnline.pl game archiv.

And there is a cover picture for the game box, because there is a chance that the game will be released at Retronics.

I'd be up for a boxed copy. Any chance of an NTSC version being done?

On 2/22/2021 at 8:46 AM, MARIO130XE said:

Damn, the old default control worked better for me. Now I'm always too slow when jumping. ??

I have to agree with this. I like all the new changes except for the running delay.