IGNORED

Albert - new colorful game for Atari

Sikor

• 3 months later...

Funny - I was thinking about the progress of the much anticipated/enhanced sequel yesterday and almost posted.

I read about it being in the pipeline a couple of months back after initially discovering Albert. I'd recently looked at various sites to see any news but no hint as yet.

Would be great to see if there is any Beta previews. By all accounts some enhanced play dymanics and graphics techniques building on the first game were on the cards. Love games that push the A8s in both graphics and gameplay. :-D

• 3 months later...
On 2/26/2021 at 1:13 PM, Mazzspeed said:

People complaining about lag under emulators must have some serious hand/eye coordination. I'm so crap I can't notice the difference.

It's like the 'hardcore gamers' (does such a thing exist on the 8bit platform) claiming the OSSC is the greatest scaler ever as there's no frame buffer - Personally I can't notice the difference and prefer the crystal clear perfection of a digital output direct from the graphics chip.

Yes I notice lag and it makes games unplayable. 

Personally I prefer the crystal clear perfection of RGB SOPHIA output to a Bang & Olufsen 66cm (26") CRT TV with immaculate picture as it belongs to be for a retro computer. Added to that is the immaculate stereo sound system of the B&O MX8000 which makes the music and sound effects a joy to listen too with deep rich bass.

• Like 3

On 2/27/2021 at 10:30 PM, Mazzspeed said:

Oh well...

I played all those games back in the day, to me it was more about memory and remembering the behavior of objects on the screen than allowing for lag. I didn't notice lag then, I don't notice lag now.

You didn't notice any lag then because it wasn't there !

Lag is important in same games, less in others. In today's games they play no role at all (at least the one's I see on my son's Xbox) because they are made so that everyone can play them, no skills required.

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, Level42 said:

Yes I notice lag and it makes games unplayable. 

Personally I prefer the crystal clear perfection of RGB SOPHIA output to a Bang & Olufsen 66cm (26") CRT TV with immaculate picture as it belongs to be for a retro computer. Added to that is the immaculate stereo sound system of the B&O MX8000 which makes the music and sound effects a joy to listen too with deep rich bass.

I can honestly state I've never experienced lag from video scaling that made a game unplayable, but as stated I'm sure there's better retro gamer's out there than myself!

I also run Sophia 2 on my 600XL and am constantly impressed by the sharpness of the image, however I am running into a 19" Dell LCD. My experience with CRT's on my other retro computers is that CRT is noticeably 'smoother' where scrolling is concerned. I'd love to run a modern CRT monitor with my 600XL, but I just don't have the desk space.

Your comment regarding lag in modern games is an interesting one, as that's actually where I notice lag the most, especially when playing online multiplayer games - If you've got a higher ping than everyone else, your odds of a successful fragging campaign diminish considerably.

In relation to retro gaming, I've been playing a bit of Dropzone lately between platforms, and I have noticed that certain platforms have better sprite collision detection than others - Something people rarely comment on, but is very noticeable.

You know guys last season I reviewed Albert (the game not the founder of AtariAge ? Albert Yarusso) on the 8-Bit Edition of The Atari Report and I happen to enjoy playing her on it, even though most of my gaming time is spent on my 5200, there are certain games that Big Sexy can't play and this is one of those gems, so I hope you enjoy this video, I did it last season.

On 10/10/2021 at 5:46 AM, BIGHMW said:

You know guys last season I reviewed Albert (the game not the founder of AtariAge ? Albert Yarusso) on the 8-Bit Edition of The Atari Report and I happen to enjoy playing her on it, even though most of my gaming time is spent on my 5200, there are certain games that Big Sexy can't play and this is one of those gems, so I hope you enjoy this video, I did it last season.

The red is really weak and I see a lot of bars in the green screen….what video output do you use ?

and you do need to practice quite a bit more… ?

I’m not sure if my brand new LG OLED TV still has a SCART input….could try some A8 gaming on it…the screen has special game modes and stuff….

• Haha 1

• 1 month later...
11 minutes ago, Philsan said:

Excellent news by Retronics @Duddie

New enhanced version of Albert will be available soon!

Albert.thumb.jpg.010510bb5cbabf7bb0523555cceb3a89.jpg

@Philsan Great news. Really interested to find out what enhancements have been put in place. :D Gameplay elements, graphics techniques... or both perhaps?

I know that the creators were working on a sequel with - from what I read somewhere on Atarionline.pl - a slightly new approach to the engine as it were, and some new gameplay dynamics. I have assumed that the sequel is still a WIP and this enhanced version of the first game is completely separate? :grin:  (I hope the sequel is still in the pipeline.:lust: Unsurprisingly it had  working title of.... Albert II ;))

Edited by Beeblebrox

58 minutes ago, Philsan said:

I think it's the actual version with some enhancements.

Perhaps it will run on 64kb machines?

@Philsan  Nice, very much looking forward to seeing what surprises lay in store for the enhanced version.:lust:

So no word on the game's sequel Albert II as yet? Really wish I could find that post on Atarionline.pl that mentioned Albert II and the plans for a rethink of the graphics engine, and new game play elements. (I think there was talk of more innovative ways to bring colour into the game - not that of course Albert isn't already great in it's clever trickery/coding for pulling in colours (lots of elements sitting on different levels onscreen horizontally to allow it).

For Albert II I seem to recall somewhere there was mention of possible collectable aids and weapons like bug freeze spray, some powerups. But I might have imagined it heh heh.;)

Edited by Beeblebrox
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, Philsan said:

It's for 64KB machines, PAL only.

Box not final renderings (on the back there's written 128KB machines, not true).

1886365120_Albertbox1.thumb.jpg.d794e514c041525cb6cf5744076f32df.jpg 145474945_Albertbox2.thumb.jpg.2c751b0f927a9d28506621f9797bc82f.jpg

@Duddie  Just gonna ask - is there a teaser video planned, or will that spoil the surprise? 

IMHO I'd like to see what enhancements over the current freely available version this has, being a paid for box cart - which looks great btw (I realise not the final design). :) Defo interested in a copy (depending on the price of course).

Or perhaps just a few lines detailing the number of levels, and any new gameplay dynamics/enhancements, enemies, etc - if any.

Also would you know if Albert II is still being developed? :D

I tried taking the image from this post in the hope that blowing it up and zooming in on the back cover written text would reveal some secrets. No such luck as just a story and credits. Doh!:P

Edited by Beeblebrox

On 11/30/2021 at 6:32 PM, _The Doctor__ said:

The PAL/NTSC check should be used to either issue a warning or configure the system to be used, it should never be used to deny execution.

I agree, there is NO WAY IN HELL I will support or endorse a game that the developer knowingly denies either PAL or NTSC owners from being able to enjoy their work, my PAL versions of this year's ABBUC entrants all run fine as does my current upload of Albert, but discrimination based on what video technology our displays or consoles run on should not be tolerated, so far all of my European ports run fine on my 64K NTSC XEGS and they also ran fine on my old NTSC 65XE as well, so please, don't spoil it for those of us Yanks here in the States by putting in a check that would make it unusable, that, would turn most of them/us off from ever trying your ports.

Edited by BIGHMW
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, mimo said:

Calm down, did anyone say that the game is being disabled for NTSC?

It may simply be that it doesn't work 

Exactly, I was not suggesting some kind of video discrimination.. I understand that a stock NTSC system is simply incapable of running some PAL games. But that chip swap renders many games playable (including the file version of Albert).

There are games that do check the hardware and abort, I was simply hoping the cart release isn't one of them.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, adam242 said:

some kind of video discrimination

Please don't perpetuate this kind of speak.  The next thing we know, the vary gender of our video connectors (male / female) will come into question.  How in the hell can we account for every bullshit gender fluid range on the spectrum when it comes to our video cables?  Hint - we don't need to.  There are 2 kinds.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

23 hours ago, BIGHMW said:

I agree, there is NO WAY IN HELL I will support or endorse a game that the developer knowingly denies either PAL or NTSC owners from being able to enjoy their work

It is probably more about shying away the gimme-5200 beggars because their system is discriminating PAL-country by being NTSC-only. 

• Haha 4

7 hours ago, adam242 said:

Exactly, I was not suggesting some kind of video discrimination.. I understand that a stock NTSC system is simply incapable of running some PAL games. But that chip swap renders many games playable (including the file version of Albert).

There are games that do check the hardware and abort, I was simply hoping the cart release isn't one of them.

My comment wasn't directed at you ? I also use am NTSC 1200XL with PAL ANTIC which can be handy at times.

On 12/1/2021 at 2:52 AM, adam242 said:

Will this be 'enforced' with a check of the PAL hardware flag at $D014 and abort the game? Or will it be allowed to run on hybrid (NTSC GTIA/ PAL ANTIC) machines?

As the sticker on the Boxart says "Pal only (50Hz)" i think PAL ANTIC should be sufficient.

On 11/30/2021 at 7:39 PM, Beeblebrox said:

@Duddie  Just gonna ask - is there a teaser video planned, or will that spoil the surprise? 

IMHO I'd like to see what enhancements over the current freely available version this has, being a paid for box cart - which looks great btw (I realise not the final design). :) Defo interested in a copy (depending on the price of course).

Or perhaps just a few lines detailing the number of levels, and any new gameplay dynamics/enhancements, enemies, etc - if any.

Also would you know if Albert II is still being developed? :D

I tried taking the image from this post in the hope that blowing it up and zooming in on the back cover written text would reveal some secrets. No such luck as just a story and credits. Doh!:P

@Duddie  I'd be potentially very interested in a copy but it would be great to have an idea or even a teaser as to the aforementioned enhancements that might await someone buying the physical copy. (As and when released of course) :D 

• Like 1