IGNORED

Albert - new colorful game for Atari

Sikor

15 minutes ago, Gunstar said:

@Level42 said HUNDREDS (plural) anyway, not 100. Hundreds can even be used past the 1000 mark you know, @emkay, like 23 hundred or what ever, so as per the usual  @emkay's "evaluation" of what someone else said is meaningless and pointless.

Funny that some Englisch speaker gets the term "hundreds" wrong, while a German speaker used the term as given in English ...

"Hundreds" in English means a number between 100 and 999 . 

23 hundred is not included ;)

34 minutes ago, Level42 said:

Couldn’t agree more.....and all this because of an amazing game...

Even if it would not be *that* amazing. Comparisons are horrible; but from what I've seen in the C64 community, they celebrate even small contributions to the scene. Instead, some people here seem to love getting into technical discussions trying to "correct" or figure out how things could be done *better*.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Yautja said:

Even if it would not be *that* amazing. Comparisons are horrible; but from what I've seen in the C64 community, they celebrate even small contributions to the scene. Instead, some people here seem to love getting into technical discussions trying to "correct" or figure out how things could be done *better*.

I frequent many retro forums, and I can honestly state this is 100% the reality of what I see here. Why are Atari users attacking Atari developers?

You'll notice I mentioned 'users' and 'developers'. That's because as a result of what I read from certain individuals on these forums, they only believe they're developers - Continuously harping on about some undiscovered secret in the Atari's graphics modes believing two blocks on the screen with a plethora of rainbow colors is somehow groundbreaking, while contributing no more than some snippet of basic code that's practically useless, or some snippet of audio that's supposed to highlight some undiscovered POKEY secret that I honestly can't hear. If they do release a game they deliberately sabotage it so it won't run on certain upgraded systems!

It's something I don't see in forums related to that other 8bit machine of the era. It's crazy.

Edited by Mazzspeed
  • Like 2

On 2/17/2021 at 2:08 PM, Level42 said:

It’s actually a very fun game. The level design is quite challenging and differing.I think I underestimated it at first.

So far it has the “one more try” factor which is so important......it’s  addictive and not only insanely beautiful looking. Because that it is, pure eye candy and I can’t believe that they pulled this from our beloved 70s technology box...

(I appreciate games like Disc’o pop just as much by the way).

I’m at Level 13 now.

I discovered  that you can pause the game by pushing the space bar and if you then move the joystick the screen scrolls around following the stick, making it possible to “see ahead” if you need. I didn’t really need it in gameplay yet though...but it might help to see where you have to jump to next...so far I guesstimated the location of yet unknown platforms...

the fact that the “remaining gems” counter has three digits promises some big levels up ahead....

I just got to Level 15. Level 8 is so hard though. Glad to read your tips. I lost some lives looking for missing jewels. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Yautja said:

On the C64 they celebrate a single dot that is different on the "gazillion"th  redo of a scrolling game with sprites. 

While "Albert" now is a new set "limiting point"  after 41 years.

It's what people expect. For me it's a perfect strike. Because I know what is possible on the Atari. 

29 minutes ago, emkay said:

On the C64 they celebrate a single dot that is different on the "gazillion"th  redo of a scrolling game with sprites. 

While "Albert" now is a new set "limiting point"  after 41 years.

It's what people expect. For me it's a perfect strike. Because I know what is possible on the Atari. 

Off you go then! You go show that C64 community how super you are.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, emkay said:

Off you go then! You go show that C64 community how super you are.

This is just a back against the wall inability to come up with a decent rebuttal. Honestly, there are no A8 secrets left to exploit, and no one cares for your expert opinion that achieves no more than thread derailment.

If you believe you can do a better job, do it, and don't use BASIC. Until then, shut up and let people enjoy new releases without fear of them being picked to pieces.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Mazzspeed said:

This is just a back against the wall inability to come up with a decent rebuttal. Honestly, there are no A8 secrets left to exploit, and no one cares for your expert opinion that achieves no more than thread derailment.

If you believe you can do a better job, do it, and don't use BASIC. Until then, shut up and let people enjoy new releases without fear of them being picked to pieces.

This is just a back against the wall inability to come up with a decent rebuttal. Honestly, there are no A8 secrets left to exploit, and no one cares for your expert opinion that achieves no more than thread derailment.

If you believe you can do a better job, do it, and don't use BASIC. Until then, shut up and let people enjoy new releases without fear of them being picked to pieces.

1 minute ago, Mazzspeed said:

My Gawd, Emkay are you seriously for real? ?

I've said what I want to say and it needed to be said. Lets get back on topic and allow people to discuss a great game without fear of ridicule, as all that does is discourage people from wanting to develop for the A8. No one wants that.

Why on earth did you post  your stuff anyways?

I'm thinking that "Albert" is a great piece of software, that set new limits, but also shows the outer borders there. 

And then the moderator again "warns" me for defending. Really great.

5 minutes ago, shanti77 said:

Unfortunately, all the CPU power in this game has gone into the rainbow in the background, which has severely damaged the gameplay itself. In my opinion, Crownland is a much better platformer.

Crownland shows 32 Bytes width. It flickers a lot. 

Till today it is not clear why the coder decided to shrink the screen in the final game, when the demo was running well.

The game mechanics were clearly different. 

Crownland uses the PMg for the "Sprites" , while Albert uses different scrolling ranges .  AND it does vertical parallax scrolling, while in Crownland the scrolling is only horizontal. 

"Albert" does actually fluent 8 way scrolling. 

Great game, I wish all of the productive good and constructive postings be moved into another thread for the author(s) of the game to read, enjoy, and be encouraged by. With the original topic name.

The sh*t show version of posts should remain in it's own thread as an example of why threads get locked and get a critical review complete with notes inserted to point out how not to be. With the topic reflecting it's purpose!

Edited by _The Doctor__
  • Thanks 2

17 hours ago, Mazzspeed said:

I frequent many retro forums, and I can honestly state this is 100% the reality of what I see here. Why are Atari users attacking Atari developers?

You'll notice I mentioned 'users' and 'developers'. That's because as a result of what I read from certain individuals on these forums, they only believe they're developers - Continuously harping on about some undiscovered secret in the Atari's graphics modes believing two blocks on the screen with a plethora of rainbow colors is somehow groundbreaking, while contributing no more than some snippet of basic code that's practically useless, or some snippet of audio that's supposed to highlight some undiscovered POKEY secret that I honestly can't hear. If they do release a game they deliberately sabotage it so it won't run on certain upgraded systems!

It's something I don't see in forums related to that other 8bit machine of the era. It's crazy.

If you think POKEY experiments and documentation are useless, maybe discuss it in those threads instead of pushing this thread even farther off topic. Or, just keep it to yourself.

9 hours ago, Mazzspeed said:

My Gawd, Emkay are you seriously for real? ?

It's interesting sometimes to see the fresh perspective of a newcomer, who experiences for the first time the handful of toxic people in this community the rest of us have just learned to put up with.

And yes, in the A8 community it seems the way to know that you have created something truly special is if a crowd of self-important "experts" comes out of the woodwork to hijack the discussion thread and trash it.

Edited by FifthPlayer
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 2