Thoughts on WIP Updates  

15 members have voted

1. 1. Thoughts on WIP Updates

• Developer - More Frequent Updates
    • Developer - Fewer Updates While WIP, More Mystery in the Final Game
    • Player - More Frequent Updates
    • Player - Fewer Updates While WIP, More Mystery in the Final Game

• Please sign in to vote in this poll.

I've been thinking a lot lately about how frequently I post updates to a WIP game.  I really like that the community here actually takes the time to check it out, and it's super helpful to get feedback on bugs and playability along the way.  It's encouraging and helpful.  Not to mention getting help fixing bugs and getting programming tips from the experienced 7800 developers.  I wouldn't want to give that up... On the other hand, if everyone who might be interested in the game knows every nook and cranny along the way, there won't be any surprises in the final game.  Personally I like saving some surprises.  I'm wondering what the general feelings and sentiments are.  No right or wrong, just thought it was an interesting question.  I suspect most people would say "balance of the two."

• Like 2

I've also been thinking about this constantly, and so far with Spire of the Ancients I've revealed more than I ever intended to but I figure that even if I reveal all there'll still be people in the future who didn't follow the thread and will get to experience those surprises.

There's still a few things I'll keep to myself until the end anyway, and I use some assembly trickery to be able to change things depending on if I'm compiling a demo build or a full build for testing.

• Like 1

What Pat stated is key - you need to find what is most comfortable for you respecting frequency and what exactly is shown.  It's undeniable the benefit of having a community testing and providing feedback, but at the same time it may take some of that 'mystery' away.  Though 'mystery' may be a non-issue for an Arcade port, certainly can understand the sentiment more in an original title. 

Perhaps stripping back some features or settings while ensuring the full game can be tested may be best. Again though, each title and developer may present or feel differently about what feature(s) are stripped and what exactly incorporates a 'full' test of the game.

Love what you've been doing so far with Wizard's Dungeon, but certainly there are no expectations or demands.  Whatever you feel is best, go with your gut.  It's your baby/creation. :)

• Like 3

I love checking out WIP games, it's probably my favorite thing about this site and the 7800 homebrew devs here.

I also totally respect a devs desire to keep things close to the vest, because a little mystery in the final product is fun. 

The one thing I don't like is devs who brag about their l33t coding skills, post unproven/questionable  screenshots, antagonize forum users about their strict "I don't share WIP roms!" Self imposed rules, and then never deliver anything useable *cough*Gorf*cough*Grooveybee*cough*. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

I didn't vote because I don't think there's a single good answer. Sometimes when features/changes are happening quickly it's good to get rapid feedback from players. Sometimes as a player of WIP games it's nice though to see only occasional updates with a bunch of new stuff to check out all at once.

• Like 4

23 hours ago, John Stamos Mullet said:

I love checking out WIP games, it's probably my favorite thing about this site and the 7800 homebrew devs here.

I also totally respect a devs desire to keep things close to the vest, because a little mystery in the final product is fun. 

The one thing I don't like is devs who brag about their l33t coding skills, post unproven/questionable  screenshots, antagonize forum users about their strict "I don't share WIP roms!" Self imposed rules, and then never deliver anything useable *cough*Gorf*cough*Grooveybee*cough*. 

Or that idiot on the Atari 8-bit forums who posted news about a Delorean racing game that'd use extra colors, then got butthurt about it when he got called on his bullshit and said he was stopping development on it because we were too mean to him, and instead work on an Amiga version.   ???

Edited by Synthpopalooza
  • Haha 1

On 2/16/2021 at 4:07 PM, John Stamos Mullet said:

I can't answer the poll. It really depends of the programmer. Each homebrew developer is different  and I respect that when it comes to sharing roms. The roms released for play testing reasons only.

I played WIP games on the pro system emulator before the emulator became outdated. When I checked out homebrew works in progress in the past, it was for stuff like glitches and how the game plays.

Edited by 8th lutz
  • Like 1

Speaking for myself, I do this for the fun of it.  People enjoying what I create is a major bonus! (I never made it as a songwriter so this is the next best thing) :P 

I have no problem sharing anything (including source code, as I have already done) with people here as often as I can, as I have a bit of a different point of view.  Any time someone gives (helpful) feedback about either a bug, or something I could make better by changing it, it will help make the game that much better. 

As far as releasing WIPs/ROMs, I don't think there is any title where I haven't posted the final ROM here; so if you want to use an emulator, great!  If you want to support this site (and show appreciation to the work I do) by buying a cart, that's great too!  There was only one time where I almost stopped; it was because I started seeing my games on eBay (and not by AtariAge, who has exclusive permission to make ANY of my games).  That angered me, but I got over it.

Listen, I'm not the best programmer (by far), but I do what I can - what my abilities allow me to. :) And I love that you guys like what I do.  It makes me want to do more.

• Like 6

I have to admit that I almost OVER-salivate whenever I see a WIP that not only looks great but plays great as well, and then come up with all of these "over the top" expectations of what the finished game should look like. Starting tonight I'll just let the games play out from the eyes of the very guy who is putting them together rather than sound demanding over what it could/should be. Note that I also don't come through on a keyboard in the same way than as if I were to talk to a person either face-to-face or over the phone, so my texted quotes may often get misinterpreted.

It's one thing to come up with an idea for a fix, like for the 5200 version of Asteroids when it comes to its controls, but it's another to wrongfully influence someone with ideas that a programmer just may not have in mind.

• Like 2