82-T/A

Looking to upgrade the VCS... storage / RAM...

Got it done today and had a blast! Was super easy to do. Like very easy. My only nit-pick is the missing screw for the SSD. Of course none of the ones I bought fit and I had to rig something up, but it worked out in the end. Other than that all good!

PXL_20210306_161641958.jpg

PXL_20210306_161209599.jpg

PXL_20210306_155706906.jpg

PXL_20210306_162034285.jpg

PXL_20210306_162049333.jpg

PXL_20210306_165114574.jpg

PXL_20210306_164404022.jpg

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

I used an extra stand-off from my gigabyte Threadripper board. It had a few extras in case you use drives shorter than the included heatsinks. It was a fractional amount longer than needed but still fine for the purpose unless you are OCD and wanted it perfect flat.

Think the only other thing I may do is get longer wifi antennas for it. I suspect the reason they didn’t use longer ones isn’t cost cutting or anything since they’re virtually free shipped from China as it is, I suspect it’s because they didn’t want longer wires working loose in transit because of proximity to the fan. 

The one thing I haven’t seen (or overlooked) is if anyone tried a shorty SSD in the wifi slot and an external USB Wifi. 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Rick Dangerous said:

Got it done today and had a blast! Was super easy to do. Like very easy. My only nit-pick is the missing screw for the SSD. Of course none of the ones I bought fit and I had to rig something up, but it worked out in the end. Other than that all good!

PXL_20210306_161641958.jpg

PXL_20210306_161209599.jpg

PXL_20210306_155706906.jpg

PXL_20210306_162034285.jpg

PXL_20210306_162049333.jpg

PXL_20210306_165114574.jpg

PXL_20210306_164404022.jpg

Hello friend, I'm looking for these screws for installing the ssd on my Atari, and I ask, if you also put the sealing rubber between the spacer and the plate, or did you screw or ssd directly on the motherboard? Thanks for tour attention

I just used a random screw I had and cut a small piece of rubber tubing so it's perfectly level and held in place firmly. 

I'd just skip it entirely if it was firmly in place, but it's not it flops all around and you have to turn it upside down to put the unit back together.

I'm going to start a thread on the screw so we can resolve this once and for all...

Posted (edited)

16GB DDR4 2666MHz PC4-2666V 2R8 260Pin SODIMM Samsung

Hello this type of sodimm is compatible with the VCS?

Screenshot_20210505-234738.png

Edited by Hesseloff1
more info
  • Like 1

That looks fine.
Various people had special recommendations, but I bought a pair of generic 2400 Mhz DDR4 SODIMMs,
and no problems at all. As I was on a budget, all the shops were shut in lockdown, I bought 2nd-hand.
Generally, best to have 2 the same, to facilitate dual-channel, but one will work.
(There is the upgrades thread where all those types are suggestions are already consolidated.)

On 2/15/2021 at 7:18 PM, OldSchoolRetroGamer said:

I don't own one and my comments were strictly PC related which is what it is. You only have TWO slots and so you would want two 8 gb SODIMM DDR4 modules. You will want to use both slots as Ryzen chips work best with memory in Dual Channel config which just means you want to fill up both slots totaling your desired amount as opposed to say using a single 16 gb module in one slot. Basically, it is the modern RAM used in LAPTOPS as opposed to a typical Desktop. That said a quick GOOGLE search of - atari vcs recommended ram - gave me THIS result right at the top (Googling can be magic with the right search terms for just about anything 😜 ) and the very FIRST result entry is right of the AtariVCS support page 😉 CLICK THIS LINK FOR ATARI VCS RECOMMENDED RAM INFO

As stated in the link above - 

Always mount the RAM in pairs, so to achieve the maximum capacity of 32GB you would add two 16GB modules. Please note, SODIMM DDR4 RAM is a different format than RAM used in desktop computers. Desktop memory will not fit in the Atari VCS.

Ok, I've got to ask... I saw your avatar picture...

942853385_7Rain.thumb.jpg.b3b493dea4303b

I know this picture from somewhere, but for the life of me, I cannot remember. Was it from an 80s computer game, or something like that? Where is this from?

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, 82-T/A said:

Ok, I've got to ask... I saw your avatar picture...

942853385_7Rain.thumb.jpg.b3b493dea4303b

I know this picture from somewhere, but for the life of me, I cannot remember. Was it from an 80s computer game, or something like that? Where is this from?

Ha! That would be RAIN, one of the three "Storms" Rain / Thunder / Lightning, characters from John Carpenters awesome 80's epic Big Trouble in Little China! 😎 They serve the evil Villain Lo-Pan. 

It's a pretty common pose / image for this character, I just ran it through a filter and liked the way it turned out. 😀

Big Trouble In Little China (fight 1 of 2) « Grading Fight Scenes

Cory Doctorow on Twitter: "James Pax (Lightning), James Hong (Lo Pan),  Carter Wong (Thunder) and Peter Kwong (Rain) in a promotional photo for Big  Trouble in Little China (1986) https://t.co/ngHF2pMX7V…  https://t.co/zAXDT36oKw"

BOOM! Studios Commemorates 30th Anniversary of the Release of BIG TROUBLE  IN LITTLE CHINA with the Publication of Two Books, “The Official Making Of Big  Trouble In Little China” and “The Art

tumblr_inline_o8q7emBPQ11u8exuo_500.gif

Edited by OldSchoolRetroGamer
  • Like 1

On 3/7/2021 at 12:35 PM, Rick Dangerous said:

I just used a random screw I had and cut a small piece of rubber tubing so it's perfectly level and held in place firmly. 

I'd just skip it entirely if it was firmly in place, but it's not it flops all around and you have to turn it upside down to put the unit back together.

I'm going to start a thread on the screw so we can resolve this once and for all...

I bought a bag of screws from Amazon. Really only needed on screw but it's hard to buy just one screw. I think it came in a bag of 100 so now I have 99 screws.

Anybody want one?

• Like 3

On 5/24/2021 at 12:28 PM, Serpentor said:

None of the screws in this kit fit the hole on the motherboard.

It's an M 3 x 4mm screw. I used the following: 

• Like 1

This is what I ended up going with. I'm going to partition the drive in half, and run Windows 10, and use the other half for storage for AtariOS. 

The reason I went with the 2400 ram is that my friend who works in IT told me overclocking can make your fans run more and shorten the life of the machine.

Let me know what you guys think

Image 6-17-21 at 1.00 PM.JPG

• Like 2

On 5/9/2021 at 4:39 AM, OldSchoolRetroGamer said:

Ha! That would be RAIN, one of the three "Storms" Rain / Thunder / Lightning, characters from John Carpenters awesome 80's epic Big Trouble in Little China! 😎 They serve the evil Villain Lo-Pan. 

It's a pretty common pose / image for this character, I just ran it through a filter and liked the way it turned out. 😀

Big Trouble In Little China (fight 1 of 2) « Grading Fight Scenes

tumblr_inline_o8q7emBPQ11u8exuo_500.gif

OMG, I loved that movie!!! Hahah, that was one of my all-time favorite movies as a kid.

• Like 1