IGNORED

Intellivision HSC Season 14 - Game 4 - Popeye

30 minutes ago, INTELLIVISION SPARTAN said:

Good gosh !!! The graphics and controls are worse than I remember. This final product is embarrassing! After Empire Strikes Back, this is the worst game in the collection. Leave it to the Parker Brothers collection. Everyone at Parkers Intellivision Division is still in hiding from 1982. 

64E74AC5-A1D3-40DC-9BAD-BB70E20B5626.jpeg

Sewer Sam is the worst by far IMHO..... 

1 hour ago, JacobZu7zu7 said:

Popeye Update

Here's how the scores appear half-way point. New records on Skill 2!

Update to post #48

1. 110,600 gbag +3

2. 81,200 popsicle +3

3. 76,100 patbb +3

4. 57,800 Player One +3

5. 44,800 cmadruga

6. 43,900 Rickster8

7. 26,900 hoosierdadee78

8. 26,300 wolfy62

9. 24,200 Mangia-Boy

10. 15,100 jblenkle

I think CParsley put up a score you might have missed? ?

23 hours ago, INTELLIVISION SPARTAN said:

Ok the game is playable! But still D+ for effort on the programming. 

8FA11DEA-774F-4E09-96B7-546245743C52.jpeg

I think this game is light years better than Demon attack...Quick twitch gaming is rough with the Intelli controller.  This is better than the Atari 2600 popeye

• Like 1

Popeye-24,200, 2 Skill

This is actually the kind of game I could, theoretically, dramatically improve on.

Not even beginning to say I am GOING to(the stairs just piss me off, 'specially on the boat), but compared to say, Demon Attack or Atlantis, where my "top out" point is probably exactly where it will always be, lol, I can quickly "get better" on this one.

Very much better than I expected(this was only my second attempt at the game)-not familiar with the arcade version at all, but almost "a lot" of time on it on the 5200, one of the few games I really remember playing a lot as a kid(Thanks, Brent, wherever you are!), and I had a run on it a couple years ago as an Adult, really, it has slightly better graphics than this, but other than the stupid stairs(which I assume I'll get better at, again, only my second game...), the gameplay on this version seems just as good, really!

Blows the 2600 version away, and the O2 version is so sad I just look at it as a different game altogether and enjoy it for what it is.

"I'm Popeye the Sailor Man, I live in a garbage can"...

(can't get that out of my head, haha, figured I'd try to screw with others with it...)

INTPopeye24200.png

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

19 minutes ago, Rogerpoco said:

"I'm Popeye the Sailor Man, I live in a garbage can"...

(can't get that out of my head, haha, figured I'd try to screw with others with it...)

I'm strong to the finish, cuz I eats my spinach, I'm Popeye the Sailor Man, toot toot!!! ?

Edited by Rickster8
Formatting
  • Haha 3

Third time was the charm!

:P

Well, not really, this ain't too good, but a quick goal that popped up was that I had to at least loop it.

Definitely didn't anticipate much time on this one, but a little over 50K would get me a nice position where I play elsewhere, and I imagine I prolly can if I stick with it.

We'll see.

INTPopeye32300.png

• Like 5

I know it's been said--but the controls are just SO BAD.

I never die due to bad choices or slow reflexes.  Usually my deaths occur at the top or bottom of stairs after several seconds of shouting MOVE DAMNIT!

It's actually a fun game--if you could just control Popeye.

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

I noticed background graphics get displaced by 1 column at levels 2 and 3.

Still, the coordinates for going up/down stairs remain in the right place.

That contributes to the confusion, particularly during the ship level.

I can't believe they let the game ship with this kind of issue.

Edited by cmadruga
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Further elaborating, even though I'm sure you guys all have noticed it...

Going up stairs in the 3 different stages... stages 1 and 2 are ok, then stage 3 has awkward sprite positioning. 

image.png.844dfe93b4856f02c68c2aad9101dd64.png

Going up ladders... stage 1 is fine, but 2 is messed up...

image.png.e69ef0435415e74aa0324b6717f9578b.png

This game really is a hot mess. Which is a shame because it is FUN. 

• Thanks 2
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

30 minutes ago, cmadruga said:

I noticed background graphics get displaced by 1 column at levels 2 and 3.

Still, the coordinates for going up/down stairs remain in the right place.

That contributes to the confusion, particularly during the ship level.

I can't believe they let the game ship with this kind of issue.

That's the kind of "awesome crap" I get to learn from my ridiculously good 2600 Friends-

I know some get jaded-I've done it a time or two myself, is still terribly exciting to me, but you Guys sometimes don't realize how "smart" you have to be to suss out little details like that sometimes, and put it in terms so that people can understand the "issue".

Neat.

And, yeah...HTH did that slip past "playtesting"...

OK, I'm done for today, lol, mebbe even "done", this is high enough for me to respectably submit on vid at my other haunt, which was my main goal today.

It's not like I "learned how to play the game" today, I just had to adapt knowing "how", to doing it on Intellivision.

Kinda happy with this-again, unless there's a timer, expect me to be at the back of the pack, for the most part, haha!!!

INTPopeye58500.png

• Like 2

Quick note

(I guess I've, uh, just kinda taken over this thread...sorry...compulsive...)

Well, it'll be beaten, but I got the TG High Score for game 1 this morning, 98,600!!!

Certainly, I know there are people here who can beat that, but still pretty proud-if you had told me three days ago(before I played this version...)that I'd be competing for a top score, I'd have said you were joking, but dang...!!!

OK, back to game 2 with you Guys, lets see if I can improve!!!

• Like 4

Skill 2-72,400!!!

Getting there!!!

BTW, I pretty much ALWAYS tape, again, I have been playing game 1 some as well for a high score elsewhere, but like most everything else I do this is on tape, game 2.

Accidentally got into the game, I may push for a little more.

Game 2 is a bit faster than game 1, but not as "smooth", it's a little more difficult to play, but there are more scoring opportunities, the Sea Hags are much more aggressive on game 2, and Bluto seems to chase you incessantly.

Truly-this isn't "super awesome fantastic", I know it, but it's a LONG way from where I was three days ago, lol. Some games "click" better than others.

:D

INTPopeye2skill72400.png

• Like 4