Jump to content
JacobZu7zu7

Intellivision HSC Season 14 - Game 4 - Popeye

Recommended Posts

Also kept thinking the game couldn't be this bad, could it, so I had to grab Popeye for the NES (Coded by Nintendo Japan at the same time as this Parker Brothers abomination, 1982...

 

The picture was taken post game as the game over screen only stays on for a few seconds, but like the arcade as long as you don't start a new game the "attract" screen still shows last game score... Really points on the blaring gaps in Parker Brothers game and whether or not it was possible in the INTV ---

 

One - the middle ladder as you say on stage 1 ACTUALLY goes ALL THE WAY DOWN to the 3rd level, meaning you can CLIMB UP IT as well... Seriously Parker Bros??? FAIL, doable on INTV of fucking course...

 

Two - on level 2, there's a platform if you grab onto puts you on the top and gives you 500 pts. Parker Brothers, on the other hand just made it every other time and no points... lol Not as terrible as #1, so not going to nail the bros for this one too much

 

Three - A TON MORE items come out at once, making the levels not be a slogfest!!! And I dont want to hear Parker Bros could only get 2 sprites working lol

 

Four - on 2nd trip thru a sea hag sits on top right and heaves skulls in the game grid. Hate those hags already :)

 

Screen Shot 2021-02-26 at 4.39.33 AM.png

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, cparsley said:

Also kept thinking the game couldn't be this bad, could it, so I had to grab Popeye for the NES (Coded by Nintendo Japan at the same time as this Parker Brothers abomination, 1982...

 

The picture was taken post game as the game over screen only stays on for a few seconds, but like the arcade as long as you don't start a new game the "attract" screen still shows last game score... Really points on the blaring gaps in Parker Brothers game and whether or not it was possible in the INTV ---

 

One - the middle ladder as you say on stage 1 ACTUALLY goes ALL THE WAY DOWN to the 3rd level, meaning you can CLIMB UP IT as well... Seriously Parker Bros??? FAIL, doable on INTV of fucking course...

 

Two - on level 2, there's a platform if you grab onto puts you on the top and gives you 500 pts. Parker Brothers, on the other hand just made it every other time and no points... lol Not as terrible as #1, so not going to nail the bros for this one too much

 

Three - A TON MORE items come out at once, making the levels not be a slogfest!!! And I dont want to hear Parker Bros could only get 2 sprites working lol

 

Four - on 2nd trip thru a sea hag sits on top right and heaves skulls in the game grid. Hate those hags already :)

 

Screen Shot 2021-02-26 at 4.39.33 AM.png

Yeah this game is friggin BAD!!! I have both EMU and the 2609 so I try both. EMU is much better to play because with the cartridge version you cannot go near the stairs because most of the time the Sea Hags will be invisible and a floating hammer will come at you out of nowhere, not kidding..... The Sea Hags are not SUPPOSED to be invisible, they are supposed to appear so you atleast get a warning... Nope not my crummy cart version.. You go near the stairs and get hit with a hammer that appears out of nowhere. So now when I'm playing the cart version I have to stay in the middle and wait for the hammers to come and then I can make a break for it to climb the stairs, but if Brutus is coming then I have no choice and gotta chance it.... 

 

Then there's Popeye getting stuck thing, either going up the stairs or trying to go down the stairs, it's a NIGHTMARE!!! He even gets stuck sometimes on straightaways. Just yesterday on the 2nd level I reached for the spinach and got stuck in the wall behind it... Ugggghhh Just a bad bad bad game... It has potential and is playable, but because of the control flaws and other issues it's just one big heaping pile of video excrement..... 🙄👎

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Intellivision Popeye is based on the arcade game not the famicom/nes game.  In the arcade game the ladder is at it is in the intellivision version, you can climb down but not up.  Famicom Popeye came out in 1983, the arcade game in 1982.

Edited by mr_me
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Every time I check this thread, I remember why I haven't clambered at trying this version again, haha, tho I should get something up this evening. I will stand by that NES version tho.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

And he finally submits a score! Can't say I'll be putting much more time, if any, into this one. Would rather learn Thunder Castle tbh. Looks like I got 39k when we last played, which might push me to try again.

 

18,700

1266364119_Popeye2021-02-2612_48_06.thumb.png.539470f4e143b1a82853cf97fea9cb66.png

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, INTELLIVISION SPARTAN said:

92,000. The bird got me twice in a row on the boat. I never got started! Total hatchet job on this boat screen! 

Nice score!

Happy You Good GIF

  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

29,000 - I actually had too much going on at once on one line during this run - 2 hags, spinach and Brutus. I kicked Brutus overboard but I clipped right off the screen because I was flashing so much. Couldn’t do a thing until a heart sat too long and I lost a life. Weird. 

DD35FCF0-AE49-4E40-AB47-A1B56AEDC095.jpeg

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

2,000 points lower than last season's score.  This time I'm playing using Flashback controller and Raspberry Pi running 'jzintv' emulator.  Last season was emulation, but on a MacBook with keyboard controls.

 

Ready to move on to Thunder Castle!

 

 

Screen Shot 2021-02-28 at 3.34.01 PM.png

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/24/2021 at 11:25 AM, cmadruga said:

Further elaborating, even though I'm sure you guys all have noticed it...

 

Going up stairs in the 3 different stages... stages 1 and 2 are ok, then stage 3 has awkward sprite positioning. 

image.png.844dfe93b4856f02c68c2aad9101dd64.png

 

Going up ladders... stage 1 is fine, but 2 is messed up...

image.png.e69ef0435415e74aa0324b6717f9578b.png

 

This game really is a hot mess. Which is a shame because it is FUN. 

I had the same problem using Open Emu on my iMac. Popeye seemed off track. It wasn't an issue on my 2609. 

 

The graphics actually looked blockier in emulation as well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, IntyFanMatt said:

So this game should be over now right?  Jacob?

Thank God Seinfeld GIF by HULU

 

what am I talking about, I treated this one like m**** trap

run away GIF

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As far as I can tell Gbag was the winner and only player to go over 100k. Does that sound right? 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

FINAL POPEYE STATS!!! CONGRATS TO GBAG FOR SNAGGING THE POPEYE VICTORY!!!!!!!!!!!! 👍

 

20 PEOPLE SUBMITTED SCORES FOR THIS GAME!!! INCREDIBLE!!! - 6 PLAYERS BROKE THE OLD RECORD!!!😲

  

110,600 Gbag [+13][+3][+2]
92,000 Spartan [+12][+2]

81,200 popsicle [+11][+2]

------------------------------

76,100 patbb [+9][+2]
72,400 RogerPoco [+8][+2]
57,800 Player One [+7][+2]
55,200 Rickster8 [+6]
51,600 Biffman [+5]
48,000 CParsley [+4] 
44,800 CMadruga [+3]
42,000 JasonLIkesINTV [+2]
36,100 Mangia-Boy [+1]
29,000 ClassicGMR  [+1]
26,900 Hoosierdadee78  [+1]
26,300 Wolfy62  [+1]
24,500 JacobZu7zu7  [+1]
22,100 SneakyTurtleegg  [+1]
20,800 Gar0u  [+1]
18,700 fakecortex  [+1]

15,100 jblenkle  [+1]

 

@JacobZu7zu7

 

 

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

 

Games Won Update:

 

2 CParsley - Beamrider / Lock N Chase

1 Rickster8 - Demon Attack

1 BiffMan - Chess

1 Gbag - Popeye

 

 

Edited by Rickster8
Formatting
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Rickster8 said:

FINAL POPEYE STATS!!! CONGRATS TO GBAG FOR SNAGGING THE POPEYE VICTORY!!!!!!!!!!!! 👍

 

20 PEOPLE SUBMITTED SCORES FOR THIS GAME!!! INCREDIBLE!!! - 6 PLAYERS BROKE THE OLD RECORD!!!😲

  

110,600 Gbag [+13][+3][+2]
92,000 Spartan [+12][+2]

81,200 popsicle [+11][+2]

------------------------------

76,100 patbb [+9][+2]
72,400 RogerPoco [+8][+2]
57,800 Player One [+7][+2]
55,200 Rickster8 [+6]
51,600 Biffman [+5]
48,000 CParsley [+4] 
44,800 CMadruga [+3]
42,000 JasonLIkesINTV [+2]
36,100 Mangia-Boy [+1]
29,000 ClassicGMR  [+1]
26,900 Hoosierdadee78  [+1]
26,300 Wolfy62  [+1]
24,500 JacobZu7zu7  [+1]
22,100 SneakyTurtleegg  [+1]
20,800 Gar0u  [+1]
18,700 fakecortex  [+1]

15,100 jblenkle  [+1]

 

@JacobZu7zu7

 

 

Whoa...

Holy Crap!!!

Haha, you (Rick) already know, I'm kinda inobservant/oblivious to things sometimes.

I'm grinning from ear to ear, totally didn't realize that I (we, the 6 of us-Man-you were SOOO close!) had at least beaten the previous HSC record, that tickles the heck out of me, and I swear, in my mind, no matter what else, that makes this INT HSC adventure a "success" for me!

Well, blow me down!

Pretty neat stuff, "personal goals" can be almost as amusing/invigorating as actual "OMG, World Record"'s.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Rogerpoco said:

Whoa...

Holy Crap!!!

Haha, you (Rick) already know, I'm kinda inobservant/oblivious to things sometimes.

I'm grinning from ear to ear, totally didn't realize that I (we, the 6 of us-Man-you were SOOO close!) had at least beaten the previous HSC record, that tickles the heck out of me, and I swear, in my mind, no matter what else, that makes this INT HSC adventure a "success" for me!

Well, blow me down!

Pretty neat stuff, "personal goals" can be almost as amusing/invigorating as actual "OMG, World Record"'s.

I really like this message,because that is how I feel.

Though I will probably never win a single game competition,its so much fun playing different forgotten games and even surprising myself with a score I didnt think I would reach.

All of that makes the HSC fun and fulfilling enough for me!👍😊

  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

OVERALL TOTAL POINTS AFTER POPEYE:

 

1. cparsley  58  
2. IntellivisionSpartan  47 -11
3. Rickster8  39 -19
4. biffman  33 -25
5. cmadruga  32 -26
5. popsicle  32 -26
7. gbag  30 -28
8. Player One  26 -32
9. patbb  20 -38
10. mr_me  19 -39
11. bamse  15 -43
11. wolfy62  15 -43
11. rogerpoco 15 -43
14. IntellivisionMaster  11 -47
14. IntyFanMatt  11 -47
14. JacobZu7zu7  11 -47
14. JasonlikesINTV  11 -47
18. Ace24  5 -53
18. jblenkle  5 -53
18. fakecortex  5 -53
18. classicGMR  5 -53
18. gar0u  5 -53
23. Intelligentleman  4 -54
23. Mangia-Boy  4 -54
23. hoosierdadee78  4 -54
26. sneakyturtleegg  2 -56
27. toiletunes  1 -57
27. Mister-VCS  1 -57

 

 

@JacobZu7zu7

  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...