IGNORED

TRS-80: Ebay Heads Up Notice

Omega-TI

• 1 month later...

https://www.ebay.com/itm/274755333257?_trkparms=aid%3D1110010%26algo%3DHOMESPLICE.DISCCARDS%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20200818142323%26meid%3Dee589e558c8d4130afbc62129c94471c%26pid%3D101123%26rk%3D1%26rkt%3D1%26mehot%3Dpf%26sd%3D124563997133%26itm%3D274755333257%26pmt%3D1%26noa%3D0%26pg%3D2563228%26algv%3Ddefault%26brand%3DRadioShack&_trksid=p2563228.c101123.m1982

Classic example of unrealistic expectations.

I would love a model III but that price is more than an Amiga or rare Pet. Plus I just saw a pimped out Model IV with built in FreHD go for a much lower price.

Edited by Arnuphis
added text

3 hours ago, Arnuphis said:

Yep!  Lots of people now think any old computer is worth tons.  Granted, M3s are getting harder to come by, but I doubt very much there is enough demand to get any in four figures.  Now, an M2, perhaps. But M1s, M3s, and M4s I really just don't see it.

A nice decked out Model 4 just sold for over $1,000. A clean 16K cassette based Model III just sold for $660 and another for $650...keep in mind these have no disk drives, no disk controller and no serial card.

Outside of being a rare curiosity, I'm not sure why anyone would pay more for a II, 12, 16 or 6000.  They weren't used in homes or schools and the limited amount of software is business oriented.

My Model III calls BBSs, has good sound from the cassette port, great stereo 5 voice sound from the Orchestra 90, 640X240 hi res graphics to play with, endless accessories from back in the day along with incredibly cool things being made today.  Then there are the thousands of programs available for it.

I wouldn't turn down a free II, but not really sure what I'd do with it.

13 hours ago, Turbo-Torch said:

If you are a collector, that would be one heckuva addition, that's for sure.  Apart from that, I am sure there are some things that it can be used for, if not to restore and sell it for bookoos of bucks.

On 4/22/2021 at 7:51 PM, Turbo-Torch said:

A nice decked out Model 4 just sold for over $1,000. A clean 16K cassette based Model III just sold for $660 and another for $650...keep in mind these have no disk drives, no disk controller and no serial card.

Outside of being a rare curiosity, I'm not sure why anyone would pay more for a II, 12, 16 or 6000.  They weren't used in homes or schools and the limited amount of software is business oriented.

My Model III calls BBSs, has good sound from the cassette port, great stereo 5 voice sound from the Orchestra 90, 640X240 hi res graphics to play with, endless accessories from back in the day along with incredibly cool things being made today.  Then there are the thousands of programs available for it.

That model 4 was a showstopper. I may have gone for it had I seen it in time. A real gem. This is just a basic model III. I made a decent offer to the seller and was declined. I guess I will check back in 6 months when its still up for auction and see if they want to do realistic business then.

20 minutes ago, Arnuphis said:

That model 4 was a showstopper. I may have gone for it had I seen it in time. A real gem. This is just a basic model III. I made a decent offer to the seller and was declined. I guess I will check back in 6 months when its still up for auction and see if they want to do realistic business then.

Good examples at reasonable prices show up all the time.  That III is so ridiculously priced, there's no point in even trying to negotiate with people like that...now or in the future.

The description is also idiotic.  Only shows it booted up into basic and claims No discs or anything so there is nothing downloaded

There are plenty of disks in the photos including TRSDOS. :lol:  I can almost guarantee the drives don't work and will need to be disassembled, cleaned and realigned on a scope.

On 4/23/2021 at 12:53 PM, Hwlngmad said:

If you are a collector, that would be one heckuva addition, that's for sure.  Apart from that, I am sure there are some things that it can be used for, if not to restore and sell it for bookoos of bucks.

I use my Model 2 to play games and read the news online with a wifi modem and i even added a Gotek as a second drive so I can make 8 inch disks

Edited by rietveld
  • Like 1

On 4/23/2021 at 12:53 PM, Hwlngmad said:

You can also use the Model 2 as a 80 column display for a Coleco Adam.  Here is a video where I do that

• Like 1