IGNORED

Change of perception... 3DO games experienced for the first time now

PeterG

10 hours ago, madman said:

The Lynx is absolutely worth it. If you want to collect, many of the games are still available NOS for cheap, but you can also just grab a Lynx GD cart and call it a day. IMO it has a superior library to the Game Gear. It really is amazing hardware for the time. The Lynx forum can steer you to the "must haves".

I can’t choose between the Lynx and the Game Gear - they’re two of my favorite systems! But the Game Gear has a ton of wonderful RPGs and adventure games and shmups, and better platformers. The Lynx has incredible flight and vehicular combat games and arcade games and 3d games in general. Both are way underrated, both have lots of dirt cheap gems, and both I think are being rediscovered. [end off topic]

3DO was one of those consoles I was quite oblivious to growing up, I knew some stuff about the Jaguar but the 3DO was a side thought at the time. 

I've owned a 3DO for awhile now, and I assume the general cost of retro hardware is to blame for the sorts of money they go for. I only have a few games for it, partly as others have said a lot of the 'good' games on it is easier played on another console. There is a number of exclusives though that is worth a shot at. 

Comparing the 3DO and Jag is quite hard for me, because the 3DO is a CD console and I've yet to have the pleasure of playing a Jag CD game yet, however I feel like the Jag has a more arcade feel while the 3DO is a console that is defining of its period of mixed 2D 3D graphics. Saturn and PS1 blended the two much better, and the 3DO and to extent the Jaguar felt at an earlier stage of this transition. 

I honestly look at some 3DO titles and think they would have been better off being 2D only, but that would put it closer in the amiga CD32 and CDi category *shivers*

6 hours ago, PeterG said:

Wondered about the Japanese 3DOs as well. There was one a few days ago relatively cheap with two games from the UK for 160 Euros or something like that but of course I did not pay attention ah well...

I got a Japanese 3D o a long time ago. It was to a connection with t2k freaker after not being able to find 3DOs anywhere. I got it for $70. 

After I got one I swear to God everybody popped up of shelves of 3DOs maybe $90 each.. well everybody was asking about him now all the sudden nobody wants them.

The only difference with the Japanese 1 is when you go to use the memory manager it pops up in Japanese.