IGNORED

Install or keep as it is?

JGRAHAM2

3 hours ago, Rybags said:

Wrong photo?

I had a B-key from new.  Sure, more usable than the membrane default but in the modern day for a collectable I'd say original all the way.

I’m talking about the Mosaic 48k upgrade. I think someone bought it back in the day and after reading the instructions, they decided not to try it.

8 hours ago, JGRAHAM2 said:

What do you think? Install in my B-Key 400 or keep as it is?

IMO you should install the RAM upgrade, it will then be able to run any software the 800 can except for the rare right slot cartridges, it can also be reversed by installing a different 16KB card if desired. You should also consider an audio/video upgrade since the 400 only came with RF output.

4 hours ago, bob1200xl said:

Dig up an Atari 48K upgrade - the Mosaic looks complex compared to the 48K factory kit.

Bob

It requires some cutting traces, removing capacitors, soldering 6 points, replacing RAM, plugging in a board in place of an ic and connecting to the motherboard with a press on connector. I did it and it partially works. I get a black screen. On reset I get BASIC, but PRINT FRE(0) gives the wrong free memory 39,000+ instead of 37,000+ and it freezes. List produces zeros. Star Raiders works, but other carts do not. I think I have some bad RAM. I’ll try other chips and recheck my wiring tomorrow.

The Atari 400 is a computer I would not want to upgrade. Doesn't feel quite right. If pressed on the issue, maybe, just maybe, an upgrade to 48K for practicality. But anything else is a no-no. It's fine the way it is.  Same with the Atari 800, no mods.

But the 600/800XL, 1200XL/1400XL/1450XLD, 65/130XE, bring it on! The more you stuff in the case, the better. These consoles feel like they were made for mods. Why?

Well the 400/800 have a lot of physical layout limitations or barriers that need working around. The other 8-bit systems feel stamped together bottom-to-top, and that makes it easy to do mods. Lots of space to work with.

Counterpoint:  The 800 was designed for upgrades with the "personality board" in a user-accessible slot, as well as the RAM.  The CPU board is also in a slot, though not directly accessible to the user.  Early advertisements even called out this expandability as a great feature to ensure that the system never went out of date.

• Like 4

Unless you are a hardcore "original hardware" collector, I honestly don't know why someone *wouldn't* want to upgrade their 400 to 48K.  Especially if it already has a B-key keyboard mod installed.  (Although, I am a big fan of how the original design 400 membrane keyboard looks so I might be inclined to install the RAM card on one of your other 400s instead. :) )

1 hour ago, orpheuswaking said:

If it's got a Bkey then upgrade it. You've already changed the machine (albeit reversibly). 

B-Key was one of the things I really wanted in the early 80s. I never really got serious about programming until I got my 800XL. I bought this with the keyboard for nostalgic reasons. I actually bought my original machine because I thought the keyboard was futuristic looking and cool.

1 hour ago, JGRAHAM2 said:

B-Key was one of the things I really wanted in the early 80s. I never really got serious about programming until I got my 800XL. I bought this with the keyboard for nostalgic reasons. I actually bought my original machine because I thought the keyboard was futuristic looking and cool.

You know, I have a spare Atari official 48k upgrade that isn't installed in a machine yet. IF you want to keep the machine as ATARI as possible you could always trade your mosaic for it. Just a suggestion. 

38 minutes ago, orpheuswaking said:

You know, I have a spare Atari official 48k upgrade that isn't installed in a machine yet. IF you want to keep the machine as ATARI as possible you could always trade your mosaic for it. Just a suggestion. 

I appreciate the offer, but I have installed the Mosaic and right now, it isn’t working right. I’ll be troubleshooting it tonight.