IGNORED

Rapidus installation question (800XL)

CommodoreDecker

Hi! I bought a Rapidus from an online auction site. The unit looks like the one pictured with the white background ("rapxe"), the top photo.  After finding the Rapidus website, their documentation shows two versions of the board - the other includes a secondary board called "Adaptus", which is used on the 800XL. See the bottom photo for this, though its configuration looks nothing like the unit I won.  

Will the Rapidus (rapxe) require the extra board and ribbon cable? 

Thanks!

rapxe_1024x1024@2x.jpg

adapt3.jpg

Edited by CommodoreDecker

On 2/15/2021 at 6:39 PM, flashjazzcat said:

Correct. The CPU is right at the front of the board and you would have no hope of closing the lid with Rapidus there. The adapter basically relocates the CPU socket to the top right corner.

It's an ingenious design, though I was hoping...  the seller clearly got out of an XE model. 

They're not able to break up kits, which is understandable. Very fast support, which was awesome... I'll be ordering the full kit shortly.

Testing with the case open, the Rapidus did boot so that's a big hurdle.

Does the Rapidus have an external selector switch? I saw a few connectors, with CON3 looking like a switch could fit in it but am unsure.  It's possible the Rapidus is running in "6502C" mode right now and not with the accelerated CPU. Not that I'm itching to test "Rescue on Fractalus" at high speed... even  via passthru, if there was a problem, there'd be some anomaly so I'm fairly sure the device works fully but want to double-check as much as possible...

Thanks!

6 hours ago, CommodoreDecker said:

Does the Rapidus have an external selector switch?

This may depend on what kind of switch do you mean or what would be its purpose. Normally when in 6502 mode the board is idle sitting there and there should be no interferences. You normally control the board using the menu which appears when you press Reset while holding the Inverse key down.

If you want to prevent initialization on power-up, just pull the three-wire cable from the connector on the right-bottom corner of the board.