IGNORED

Aquarius Printer

Very basic thermal printer. Not good for much but it did work. They may still work if you can find rolls of thermal paper...anything printed in 1983 on it is bound to be unreadable now...they notoriously fade. 

• Like 1

I attended high school in the 80’s. The school system had just started using computers to generate our report cards using state of the art thermal printers. All the grades have now faded away. So I just use the opportunity to remember things as I see fit - straight A’s. You never know, maybe they were using an Aquarius!?!

• Like 1

On 2/16/2021 at 4:08 PM, Intelligentleman said:

Anyone have any idea what the intended use of this thing was? People supposed to be typing and printing their documents on this?

Good question.  I wrote a letter to my grandfather using that printer, and he (half) jokingly complained about the receipt sized paper.  That's why I was excited to see Crimac advertising an 80 column printer in their initial brochures, but I believe it was dropped later.  I later presumed they were going to modify or provide and adapter for a different off-the shelf printer.

Edit:  But really, Mattel thought it was an easy and cheap way to give a 40 column printout to match the display.  Perfect for screen captures and Listing prints, but not good for much else.  :(

1 minute ago, MattelAquarius said:

Good question.  I wrote a letter to my grandfather using that printer, and he (half) jokingly complained about the receipt sized paper.  That's why I was excited to see Crimac advertising an 80 column printer in their initial brochures, but I believe it was dropped later.  I later presumed they were going to modify or provide and adapter for a different off-the shelf printer.

Ok good. Glad it's not just me. That said, I still appreciate the novelty of it. And, I'd find limited use for it - I'm sure of it. I've got two small kids who would get a kick out of it. Printing "secret" messages and whatnot. Although, isn't the paper it uses full of BPA? 

But the other thing I'm interested in doing with it is writing a program on the Aquarius... a game of sorts... that does all kinds of things with the attached accessories. Imagine playing a simple text adventure when you trigger the printer to print out some interesting message that you can then use to progress further in the game?

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, MattelAquarius said:

Edit:  But really, Mattel thought it was an easy and cheap way to give a 40 column printout to match the display.  Perfect for screen captures and Listing prints, but not good for much else.  :(

I have a TRS80 PT210 80 column thermal printer that i have used with my Aquarius .  I have a video of it on my Youtuibe page 

• Like 1

On 2/16/2021 at 4:08 PM, Intelligentleman said:

Anyone have any idea what the intended use of this thing was? People supposed to be typing and printing their documents on this?

There are lots of practical uses for this type of printer besides a hard copy of your basic programs.  In science research, if you write a program to process data you can have it print out the results to paper.  In manufacturing you can print out cut sheets for the shop.  Letter quality documents was not one of the intended uses.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, rietveld said:

i have only seen those in ads,  awesome to see someone who has one

It’s a really interesting unit. If you’re interested in it, I’ve got a scan of its manual I took from my unit. It’s got some markings on some pages, but enjoy it! I believe this is the first time it’s been posted here as well.

4-Color Printer Manual.pdf

• Thanks 2

51 minutes ago, Loudscotsbloke said:

I have the thermal printer, but I also have the colour printer/plotter. Its not thermal, and uses small coloured pens and ink to draw on to standard paper.

Great to see you here!  That's a gorgeous printer: small, quiet, and fun to demonstrate for people who have never seen a pen plotter in action before.  It uses an Alps plotter mechanism which was shared by other home computer printers of the time, such as the Atari 1020.  As much as I love the 1020, though, I think the Aquarius version of this printer has the better design; it's a very nice cosmetic match for the system.

Besides the problem of finding (fresh) replacement pens, the biggest issue with these printers nowadays is that the plastic pinion gears on the stepper motors have cracked from age.  One of our members is currently offering replacement gears made of brass, which should be a permanent solution to this problem.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

One of the benefits of pen plotters is high quality vector graphics.  I'm impressed that aquarius basic has vector pen plotting commands.  Anyone know if that is common to microsoft basic or specific to the Aquarius?  Any other Aquarius software that outputs vector plots?

On 2/17/2021 at 4:08 AM, Intelligentleman said:

I think that the general use of 40 column printers 'back in the day' was to print out basic listings of programs. Some people prefer to debug programs on paper rather than on a terminal. 

I believe (pretty sure) that the Aquarius printer was the same printer that was used with the Keyboard component, just rebadged. Perhaps there were cosmetic differences. I don't know for sure. 

• Like 1