IGNORED

Crossbow hack

eegad

The games that people have been making in recent years are truly impressive. And there have been a good number of older commercial games that have received updates/improvements. Also, additional controller options... I was just playing the patched centipede that supports native trackball mode.  Which got me thinking... 

One game that I miss playing is Crossbow.  I think Atari did an excellent job on the XEGS cart.  But it only works with a lightgun. How feasible would it be to hack it to work with a trackball? 

4 hours ago, eegad said:

The games that people have been making in recent years are truly impressive. And there have been a good number of older commercial games that have received updates/improvements. Also, additional controller options... I was just playing the patched centipede that supports native trackball mode.  Which got me thinking... 

One game that I miss playing is Crossbow.  I think Atari did an excellent job on the XEGS cart.  But it only works with a lightgun. How feasible would it be to hack it to work with a trackball? 

I've been advocating for this for ages. Both the A8 and 7800 versions. Of course, I'd want the A8 version ported to the 5200 so I could play it - as God intended - with the CX53 Trak-Ball Controller. The greatest consumer Atari Trak-Ball of all time.

Edit: I just briefly thought about whether there's a 2600 version and if the super active 2600 Trak-Ball modders have already tackled it...

Edited by Lynxpro

In my opinion, for a trackball (or a mouse) you need some kind of cross-hair, so you know where you are on the screen. A cross-hair would most-likely require a pm, not sure if there are any pm's left in Crossbow.  [Besides, I prefer the BEST trackball, which looks like a trackball, but is fully compatible to an ST or Amiga mouse.]

And errrm, last not least, allthough I would like to have an alternative controller for most A8 lightgun games, no matter what controller type you choose or support then, this is no longer aiming at a target (which requires good and fast eyesight), it is most likely just fast reflexes (move your cursor/cross-hair fast enough).

27 minutes ago, Wrathchild said:

Aren't there wii-mote converters around for 8-bit targets that could he used instead of a light gun?

In the way they are working, this wouldn't work.

Likely I will revive my Light-Gun-adapter project soon, seems that a write-up of some facts and features wouldn't harm.

Geez, most of the few A8 Light-Gun games (esp. the non commercial ones) are really, really bad - Missing calibration and/or even the flash when triggering to have a meaningful position estimation. "Barnyard Blaster" is one of the better ones, as the target object size matches the resolution of the gun better than the "Crossbow" targets.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Irgendwer said:

In the way they are working, this wouldn't work.

Likely I will revive my Light-Gun-adapter project soon, seems that a write-up of some facts and features wouldn't harm.

Geez, most of the few A8 Light-Gun games (esp. the non commercial ones) are really, really bad - Missing calibration and/or even the flash when triggering to have a meaningful position estimation. "Barnyard Blaster" is one of the better ones, as the target object size matches the resolution of the gun better than the "Crossbow" targets.

I recently picked up an XEGS, that came with a light gun.  Which was exciting, because it was my first light gun for an Atari of any kind.  However, the light gun was pretty grody and it seemed to not work very well.  But after reading this, it may have been working as good as it ever did. ?

• 2 years later...
On 2/16/2021 at 6:31 PM, CharlieChaplin said:

In my opinion, for a trackball (or a mouse) you need some kind of cross-hair, so you know where you are on the screen. A cross-hair would most-likely require a pm, not sure if there are any pm's left in Crossbow.  [Besides, I prefer the BEST trackball, which looks like a trackball, but is fully compatible to an ST or Amiga mouse.]

What version is being used in this video, because there's a cross-hair in the game: