Sign in to follow this  
Rev

Amico partners with Topps

22 hours ago, IMBerzerk said:

I'm going to say it might be a good idea NOT to get involved with Topps in the near future...  70 years ...wow

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/08/20/business/topps-baseball-cards-ipo.html

Wow, so according to that Panini is out of their deals with the NFL and NBA as well, since all 3 sports are exclusively going to Fanatics when the current licensing deals expire 2025-2026.

On the subject, I've been collecting football cards on and off since I was a kid.  I used to buy the packs at the corner stars and collect as many players as I could.  But as I got older, I started to only work on team sets for the Pittsburgh Steelers, my lifelong favorite team.  My collection was pretty scattered across the years having been originally built on cards my older brother had from the late 70's to early 80's when he was collecting, to the late 80's - early 90's when I started seriously collecting as a teen, and then sporadic team sets I bought off ebay as I got older.  Every now and then, I would go to ebay to fill in holes in previous sets and buy full team sets from years I missed to catch up.  And then about a year ago, I suddenly had the urge to try and form a complete team history collection which would comprise of at least 1 full team set per year from every year Steelers cards were printed (1935, 1948, 1950-present).  I'm pretty close to reaching my goal, despite having gone down a rabbit hole of card collecting, picking-up Kellogg's 3D cards, Wonder Bread cards, and even Glendale (1969) and Sonoco (1972) stamps along the way.  

So, it wasn't until just recently that I even knew Topps had lost the NFL license back in 2016 when Panini gained exclusivity.  And, now it looks like I'll be collecting Fanatics cards in a few years.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Downland1983 said:

Wow, so according to that Panini is out of their deals with the NFL and NBA as well, since all 3 sports are exclusively going to Fanatics when the current licensing deals expire 2025-2026.

On the subject, I've been collecting football cards on and off since I was a kid.  I used to buy the packs at the corner stars and collect as many players as I could.  But as I got older, I started to only work on team sets for the Pittsburgh Steelers, my lifelong favorite team.  My collection was pretty scattered across the years having been originally built on cards my older brother had from the late 70's to early 80's when he was collecting, to the late 80's - early 90's when I started seriously collecting as a teen, and then sporadic team sets I bought off ebay as I got older.  Every now and then, I would go to ebay to fill in holes in previous sets and buy full team sets from years I missed to catch up.  And then about a year ago, I suddenly had the urge to try and form a complete team history collection which would comprise of at least 1 full team set per year from every year Steelers cards were printed (1935, 1948, 1950-present).  I'm pretty close to reaching my goal, despite having gone down a rabbit hole of card collecting, picking-up Kellogg's 3D cards, Wonder Bread cards, and even Glendale (1969) and Sonoco (1972) stamps along the way.  

So, it wasn't until just recently that I even knew Topps had lost the NFL license back in 2016 when Panini gained exclusivity.  And, now it looks like I'll be collecting Fanatics cards in a few years.

I'm shocked as well.  Those are huge lucrative contracts that made Topps a household name for any kid collecting cards.   Not sure what the logic was to dump it, but they did.  What they'll replace that kind of revenue generation with is anyone's guess.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, IMBerzerk said:

I'm shocked as well.  Those are huge lucrative contracts that made Topps a household name for any kid collecting cards.   Not sure what the logic was to dump it, but they did.  What they'll replace that kind of revenue generation with is anyone's guess.  

I don't think Topps had any say in it though.  Topps reportedly paid out $20m in licensing fees to the MLBPA last year and were the MLBPA's largest source of licensing revenue.  But, Fanatics offered an equity stake to MLB, MLBPA, NBA, NBPA and the NFLPA in order to swoop in gain exclusivity from all 3 sports.  And apparently, the MLB had been in secret negotiations with Fanatics for months and didn't even inform Topps (who holds exclusive MLB rights until 2025) until about 2 weeks ago.  So, it sounds like the MLB was planning to dump Topps at the end of this contract as soon as Fanatics began courting them.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Downland1983 said:

I don't think Topps had any say in it though.  Topps reportedly paid out $20m in licensing fees to the MLBPA last year and were the MLBPA's largest source of licensing revenue.  But, Fanatics offered an equity stake to MLB, MLBPA, NBA, NBPA and the NFLPA in order to swoop in gain exclusivity from all 3 sports.  And apparently, the MLB had been in secret negotiations with Fanatics for months and didn't even inform Topps (who holds exclusive MLB rights until 2025) until about 2 weeks ago.  So, it sounds like the MLB was planning to dump Topps at the end of this contract as soon as Fanatics began courting them.

Makes sense.  Sad to loose the name association.  Looks like we're saying good-bye to another childhood staple.

• Like 2