IGNORED

Are there any disk based drive speed utilities?

dukes909

7 minutes ago, _The Doctor__ said:

that and 810's usually need de oxit and reseating after sitting around a long time

Everything seems to work except reading the disk.  If I try to do a disk directory, format etc the drive tries to complete the task but grinds back and forth without stopping, then I get an error 144.  I thought maybe the RPM utility could at least check the speed.

8 minutes ago, Nezgar said:

Ok try this one:

https://atari.fox-1.nl/atari-400-800-xl-xe/400-800-xl-xe-tools/dskrpm/?hilite='Rpm'

Boot with BASIC cart, at ready prompt type:

RUN"D:DSKRPM.BAS"

This runs but it tries to use D1 where RespeQt is instead of D2 where my 810 is.  I am looking at the listing but it is beyond me how to set the drive to 2.lol

1 minute ago, dukes909 said:

This runs but it tries to use D1 where RespeQt is instead of D2 where my 810 is.  I am looking at the listing but it is beyond me how to set the drive to 2.lol

ok I changed the 810 and set it to 1 but when I run this it just does the grindy thing near the edge of the disk.

At this point I am looking for another 810 Tandon type drive that is working to swap parts with to figure this out.  I have cleaned the card pin connectors and reseated them, the belt is intact and in good condition, and the head has been cleaned.  The R/W head moves all the way back on power up and stops where it is supposed to. The drive head advances when trying to do reads (disk directory) or formats.  But it doesn't get past that point.  Running speed tests spins the disk but no information is returned on the speed.