IGNORED

Where to purchase Playstation 1 capacitor kits in the UK

omf

i have a playstation 1 that could do with a capacitor kit, the only problem is that everywhere i have looked so far that deals in retro computer hardware do not stock kits for sale.

Getting a kit from console5 or ebay (seems to only be a us seller on there selling them) i do not feel happy with.

Once you have paid for the parts and extremely overpriced shipping and then ridiculous import tax on top, it makes this a particularly sour option for uk residents, paying $60~ at least for a set of capacitors is absolutely ridiculous!

So im after a source in the uk, does anyone have any sources other than say rs or farnell,  i would prefer not to do the research if purchase capacitors in their individual form, i would prefer a kit for x board.

3 hours ago, Classic Pac said:

Seriously wouldn't it be cheaper buying what you need from local sources. There are lists online of caps for the PS1. 

yes it would, my issue is the cap size.  getting the right capacitance or the same or more voltage is fine, but there are several sizes on the board, all the lists say capacitance and voltage not what package size they are

and i know there are so celled better capacitors like the solid polymer ones that don't leak, those however only seem to be a specific range of capacitance.

it all seems to be a rather grey area,  if a list exists including the package size also then i could and would go by that to DIY it

possibly offer a kit purchase service for uk people i guess

1 minute ago, NeonSpaceBeagle said:

do ps1 caps go bad? I mean I guess eventually all do, but is this common now?

well in this articular instance, i got one off ebay in the hope to put a MODE in it and there was some damage to various board components,  some of the small capacitors look a bit on the bent side like they have been knocked possibly when the mod chip i found in it was put in, so if i can get it working again, i was going to do a recap as good practice due to the previous owners uncaring work.

the auction said it was working but then stopped reading discs when they tested it, so i thought it was a bad laser which would be removed anyway for a MODE / XStation install, but sadly it wasn't quite that simple in the end.

one issue was the small power cable for the laser movement was seized into the motherboard socket etc