IGNORED

STE stereo audio, from the RGB port, or just the RCA jacks?

bfollowell

I'm looking into display options for my 4160STE. I've used a Best Electronics Best VGA cable and an NEC 1970NX monitor and it was OK, but just OK. I finally purchased an RGB/SCART cable from Cool Novelties that I use with my OSSC and it gives me an unbelievably beautiful picture, at least in low and medium resolution. Display-wise, I think this is the perfect solution for me because my OSSC outputs via HDMI and I can now use my STE with pretty much any display that I want.

Now my question concerns audio output. The RGB/SCART cable picks up the audio from the monitor port and sends it out via HDMI as well. The problem is that, even though my STE has stereo sound, that only comes from the RCA jacks at the rear of the machine. I'm fairly certain that the sound that comes out the monitor port is standard mono sound. Does anyone know for sure if this is the case? Assuming it is, I'm kind of stuck. I don't think there is a separate audio input for AV3 (SCART) on the OSSC, and I haven't seen a TV made in the past ten years that has an extra audio input for an HDMI source; they all seem to expect the audio to come in via HDMI. So, if I want to use the RGB/SCART cable to get beautiful video, then I'm stuck with mono audio. I know there's not a lot that uses stereo on the STE, but still, it's kind of the principle, and I do want to be able to enjoy it when it is an option.

Solution is simple:  since Scart has stereo audio - 2 pins for it, you need to connect L and R channels from RCA jacks to those audio pins inside Scart connector, and to GND, of course. And before it disconnect mono signal from them (which is most likely connected to both L & R parallel).

Everyone with little soldering skill can do it in 15 minutes. So, 2 RCA connectors and some 2 channel coax audio cable to get for it.

I saw your reply and my first thought was, I don't want to tear into this super nice cable to modify it like this.

After a few seconds, my second thought was, wait a minute, I think my cable is actually made like this!

atari-ste-rgb-scart-video-cable-with-stereo-audio.thumb.jpg.bcdf849fcf38ef5c57e7e5b54ae90ab4.jpg

I guess that's what I get for having my cables and things packed away for a couple of months while I'm working on other projects and not thinking to pull them out and check them over before posting.

Thanks!

Edited by bfollowell

1 hour ago, ParanoidLittleMan said:

Great !

And this photo is welcome - can see that cylinder like end of Scart conn., where cables getting in.  User can wind it away, open plastic case, and add one cable more - there is place for it. So no tear at all.

Yes, but since this cable already has the RCA stereo connectors already attached, there's no need to modify. It's made specially for the STE and its stereo output. I'd just forgotten.