IGNORED

Kung Fu Combat 2- FINAL VERSION

easmith

Now that my touch up of my old game Kung Fu Combat has turned into an official sequel ? I thought I would start a new post .

made a lot of progress . Kevin Mosley is doing graphics for the most part . Game will be 16K , coded with assembly .

Will have beta rom  soon .  Will wait until more graphics are complete  to post updated rom .  For now , 2 fight stage backgrounds are yet to be created  and  the map graphics are placeholders until Kevin gets back from work travel .  The current fight stages are WIP also .The rescue scene before wedding scene will be in a dungeon which is yet to be created as well  .

But now you are progressing through a world that gives the  scenes a sense of place . 

Normally you have to score 20 points to advance to next round , but I set it to 1 point just to be able to demonstrate progress .                  

KFC16K2.0Princess_20.png.c897c5e45ff1fc35301e0e0f8ee2bafb.png

• Like 14

6 hours ago, BladeJunker said:

Wow looking really great, nice stage designs and that overworld map is cool. ? Oh something I wanted to mention about the last bin before this full sequel thread was that it was invisible to my Harmony cart directory jsyk.

Thanks!  .   I have a Harmony Cart as well and it is showing up.  Maybe once or twice I thought I copied it to Harmony and I didn't see it , but then I convinced myself that I just hadn't actually done it .   When I tried again it showed up.   So maybe just try it again and see if it takes ....

I will make sure the next update is recognized .   PM me and I will send you latest build if you want and you can check it.

Trying not to post too many versions before it is a bit farther along .   Hopefully soon . Out of the 9 screens , 5 are still not done  and there are just placeholders .   Redoing Title screen also .

Have added a few features including harder / easier difficulty option,  and in 2 player mode the ability to choose the background. Also pause feature by switching to map screen with TV Type.     

• Like 1

11 hours ago, BladeJunker said:

...I wanted to mention about the last bin before this full sequel thread was that it was invisible to my Harmony cart directory jsyk.

Sometimes when you copy a file over, it doesn't show up where you expect it to.  Since the cart recognizes files based on timestamps, you expect it to show up at the end of the list, but it may appear somewhere in the middle.  This is the case with my current SD card.  I copied over several recent homebew WIPs and they all appeared in different places in the list rather than at the end where I expected them.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, KevinMos3 said:

Sometimes when you copy a file over, it doesn't show up where you expect it to.  Since the cart recognizes files based on timestamps, you expect it to show up at the end of the list, but it may appear somewhere in the middle.  This is the case with my current SD card.  I copied over several recent homebew WIPs and they all appeared in different places in the list rather than at the end where I expected them.

Oh okay timestamps, still new to me. ?Ah there it is below my Z folder, everything is fine, I just don't know what I'm doing. ?

5 hours ago, easmith said:

Thanks!  .   I have a Harmony Cart as well and it is showing up.  Maybe once or twice I thought I copied it to Harmony and I didn't see it , but then I convinced myself that I just hadn't actually done it .   When I tried again it showed up.   So maybe just try it again and see if it takes ....

I will make sure the next update is recognized .   PM me and I will send you latest build if you want and you can check it.

Trying not to post too many versions before it is a bit farther along .   Hopefully soon . Out of the 9 screens , 5 are still not done  and there are just placeholders .   Redoing Title screen also .

Have added a few features including harder / easier difficulty option,  and in 2 player mode the ability to choose the background. Also pause feature by switching to map screen with TV Type.     

It's fine, I'm just stupid lol. That's cool I can wait till the official post, version is bound to be changing a lot right now heh.

Switch functions nice, good timing, just switched to a light sixer since my 7800 AV caps must be pretty dead.

• 2 weeks later...

Lots of progress.

Still have one stage to design and some polishing .  Hope to have updated ROM soon.

Here is title ,  map , and first stage  .  

Changes include strength meter instead of score for fights .   

Make your way through the world ( 5 stages ) to the enemy Dojo and rescue the Princess !

image.thumb.png.fab285d912da1ec6a55e25f30629b514.png

image.thumb.png.61f79aa95919868be38c71dda17dd527.png

image.thumb.png.9220ccd0f6edb11841ac0f332f35090a.png

image.thumb.png.e266a09baa87d2855e5e936f2ad42e83.png

• Like 10

11 minutes ago, splendidnut said:

Wow, those screenshots look great!

Thanks ! That’s Kevin Mosley (KevinMos3 )  on the title and ship . 

He is  a wizard with graphics  ! The other levels are looking pretty awesome as well. 

• Like 2

On 3/6/2021 at 9:33 AM, easmith said:

Here is title ,  map , and first stage  .  

Changes include strength meter instead of score for fights .  

I just have to add  along with the others that those screenshots are INCREDIBLE looking! Astounding work @KevinMos3!!

- James

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Ok time for posting a ROM.   ( EDIT 5-4-20  : SEE POST BELOW FOR ROM)

hope you enjoy it ....

This was a total team effort with Kevin Mosley ( aka KevinMos3).  

For max enjoyment , please read the directions and controls (BELOW) . There are a number of different game options, including head to head and skill practice.

*************************************************************************************************************************

SHORT DEMO  of FIRST 2 stages ( out of 7 ) and some additional screen shots.

You'll need to play to see the rest !

************************************************************************************************************************

INFO :

Kung Fu Combat 2

READ ME FIRST :

For maximum enjoyment of the game  ,  these items are essential:

1.      It is important to remember that to change the direction you are facing , PUSH DOWN on joystick without pressing fire button.

This takes a little practice to get used to.  Practice controls by playing game option 5 ( practice vs. obstacles) , 6 ( practice sparring vs AI) , or 3 ( you can practice on stationary  human opponent in Head to Head mode) . In the obstacle stages you must be very quick at changing direction and then getting off the proper move ( Do not try this stage while impaired !).

2.   Do not be overaggressive against AI opponent.  Often it is best to counterattack, as the opponent is vulnerable after a missed attack .   Remember if you can get close in, a punch is worth 2 damage points.
Also do not forget about the forward jump-kick, which can be effective also.  

Japan, 1856

Your betrothed sweetheart, the beautiful Princess Hana  has been captured by the evil martial arts master Aku, whose romantic advances she once spurned.  She is being held prisoner inside his compound on the Island of Shima.    As an accomplished fighter yourself, you resolve to sail to the island  and rescue Hana from the clutches of Aku.   

But beware:  Aku has fighters who will try to stop you .   You must defeat them, and also deflect the obstacles they will hurl at you along the way.   Once you make it to Aku’s dojo, you must square off against him.   Only after defeating him can you and your beloved Hana live happily ever after .   Are you skilled enough to save her, or will you, too,   end up a prisoner in Aku’s dungeon ?

Engage in this campaign to save the beautiful Hana,  fight head to head against a human opponent in  2- player mode, or hone your skills in practice mode.

*************************************************************************************

Console Switches:

Reset : Resets to Title Screen

Select :  Selects game option ( only at title screen)

Changes background in games 3,4, and 6

TV Type :   In games 1 and 2, pauses game by going to Map View

Difficulty switches:  Quick rule of thumb:  both A = hardest, both B = easiest

P0 difficulty :  Adjusts AI fighter speed

A= progressively faster   opponents

B = opponents do not get faster

P1 Difficulty :  Adjusts AI fighter strength

A= all opponents max strength

B = opponents get progressively stronger

***********************************************************************************************

Controls:

change  direction         down  (can only punch,kick or jump in direction facing)

*Learning to change direction quickly is crucial for successful gameplay.

jump up                                                                  up

jump kick forward ( in direction facing only)        diagonal UP  ( in direction facing)

punch                                                                 button +forward

high kick                                                   button + up or diagonal UP (in direction facing)

low kick                                                       button + down or diagonal down ( in direction facing)

walk left                                                                left

walk right                                                            right

Title Screen Options:

Either joystick button ( or reset switch) will reset game back to title  screen after game is over.  Game option will return to Game  Option 1 .

Game option is selected by Select Switch. 

Left score shows # players , right score shows game option .

Once desired game option is selected ,  start game by pressing either joystick button.

1 PLAYER GAME OPTIONS:

Game 1  =   fighters do not reset to starting position after score ( continuous fighting)

Game 2  =   fighters reset to starting position after score

In both games 1 and 2 , there are 7 stages  as you make your way across Shima to Aku’s dojo.

Stages 1 , 3,  5 , and 7 are fight stages .    You must defeat the opponent before you ae defeated.

Fighter strength is indicated by a strength bar at the top of the screen.

Stages  2 , 4 , and 6 are obstacle stages .  You must block 20 missiles  that are hurled at you by Aku’s henchmen.  If you are hit by 3 obstacles, your game ends.

If you defeat Aku in stage 7 you will rescue Princess Hana from Aku’s dungeon!    Are you brave enough to take on the challenge?

Game 5 :

This is a skill challenge game.  How many out of 99 missiles can you deflect without being hit by 3 ?

Game 6 :

This is a single fight stage vs AI .  Hone your fighting skills!

Head to Head Mode.

Game 3  =   fighters do not reset to starting position after score ( continuous fighting)

Game 4  =   fighters reset to starting position after score

Scoring:

Punch  = 2 damage  pt

high kick= 1 damage pt

low kick  = 1 damage pt

forward jump kick  = 1 damage pt

note:  a strike to hand while in defensive stance is "blocked" and does not register 

Tips:

Try game option 5 or 6 , or play in 2P mode to master the games’ controls.
Do not be over aggressive.  The opponent ( and you !)  is vulnerable for a moment after an attack. Use this moment of weakness to strike.  Remember a punch scores 2 damage pts!

***********************************************************************************************************************

KungFuCombat2 info.pdf

• Like 8

ZeroPage Homebrew is playing Kung Fu Kombat 2 on tomorrow's (Tue Apr 13, 2021) stream LIVE on Twitch at 6PM PT | 9PM ET | 1AM GMT! Hope everyone can watch!

Games:

(SET VIDEO TO 1080P60 FOR FULL QUALITY)

Edited by ZeroPage Homebrew
  • Like 2

I've been pretty quiet because I've been so busy with RL and working on this during pretty much all my spare time.  I just wanted to focus on getting things done so we could get it out.

The controls take some practice, especially on the challenge/skill stages, but if you stick with it, it will feel more natural.  The places you might find yourself messing up is accidentally pressing down or up BEFORE pressing the button, causing you to turn around or jump when you meant to low kick or high kick a shuriken or arrow.  I've found that I have a much easier time with a regular joystick than with a D-pad.  I've mostly played with a keyboard because of testing while working on the game and I thought I'd never be able to reach 20.  However, the other night, I got a score of 80 in Game 5 using the Hyperkin Trooper joystick and felt I could have done better if I had more time.  I'll have to keep trying to reach 99.  So, if I play on the keyboard, I get nowhere.  I do a little better with a D-Pad, but a joystick works best for me, by far.  Of course, your mileage may vary.

I highly recommend starting out with both difficulty switches set to B or Easy.  Don't think you're wussing out by doing so.  If you find it too easy (pretty sure you won't), THEN change the settings.  I hope everyone will have the patience to stick with it to see all the stages.  I think we put some nice touches in there as a reward for your diligence.

Now for the part that's more my lane... the colors were chosen based on a warmed up 2600 or 7800.  It will not look as intended when you first power on a cold console.  This is the nature of those "$F" and "$E" color ranges.  F might look more brown at first, but will shift toward red once warm.  E will look more green at first, but will shift to brown.  I've tested the colors on multiple consoles and on a few different TVs (CRTs), but if anyone finds the colors to be displeasing after the console is warm, please let me know.  I've been using RF, as my S-video modded 7800 recently started displaying 2600 games with the wrong colors.  I'm interested to know how it looks in s-video on other ppl's consoles.

• Like 1

This game reminds me of Karate Champ, one of the arcade games I would play at the pool when I was growing up.  The background graphics are great and that ship is just so majestic.  Every time I see it, all that comes to mind is "I want that."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0mfSfekiZeE&ab_channel=jkman999

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/14/2021 at 6:18 AM, Armscar Coder said:

This game reminds me of Karate Champ, one of the arcade games I would play at the pool when I was growing up.  The background graphics are great and that ship is just so majestic.  Every time I see it, all that comes to mind is "I want that."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0mfSfekiZeE&ab_channel=jkman999

Thanks . My inspiration was more International Karate on C 64.       Thanks for causing me to go into a Napoleon Dynamite You Tube hole :)

C64.COM - To Protect and Preserve

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Attached is final ROM

Changes from last post :

---  game option can now be chosen by moving P0 stick RIGHT ( in addition to SELECT )  .

---     additional cut scene after winning game ( so now there are 4 scenes after defeating boss)

---    updated  graphics for low kick and jump kick ( jump kick looks more like an attack and not just a jump ) 

newgraphic.thumb.png.07350c788d458d8d221f8ea9f8168d69.png

-- some other minor graphical tweaks (   fixed " detached hand " when wrapping screen , and other little things of this nature) 

--   after two player game or spar with AI ( game 6) , strength meter still shows at end of match ( was grayed out leaving it hard to know who won if both  meters were at strength 1 ) 

---  game over screen only shows in campaign mode ( games 1 and 2 ) , otherwise resets to Title .

enjoy...

KungFuCombat2FINALCART.bin

• Like 4

• 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...