IGNORED

Before You Give Your USA Basketball to Rev

BSRSteve

I am having a great deal of trouble finding the the Mattel NBA Basketball box that is made in the USA, but does NOT have the Keyboard Component text on the front. So it would look like these pictures.

Depending on condition, I would be willing to pay $30-$40 for CIB, and can also supply a CIB Hong Kong version if a replacement is required. I would also be willing to buy just the box.

BasketballGFHK.gif

GFUS.gif

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I went down a pretty deep rabbit hole in which I combed through every NBA Basketball for sale on eBay that I could find, starting with the ones that populated in search, then moving on to unlisted game lots.  Many listings don’t have pics which show the bottom of the game box.  However, most of those listings do show the cartridge, which obviously has the country of origin.  Others show enough of the manual to catch the country of origin as well.  I couldn’t find a single one Made in the USA “G1” Basketball

Are we sure this version exists?  After referencing the greatest website there ever was or will be, INTVFunhouse, I noticed other sports games that have US-made G1 versions (Tennis, Football, Baseball), also have US-made instruction booklets that aren’t in full color.  But Funhouse doesn’t reference a US-made, two-colored instruction booklet.

Of course, this hardly proves it doesn’t exist. . .  It’s possible that there was a two-color US-made manual that’s simply very rare and not referenced.  Or maybe a G1 version shipped with full color booklets.  

Funhouse also indicates that a G1 was made in the US, but doesn’t list the Hong Kong G1 as a variant, which leads me to wonder if this is simply a typo. . .

55 minutes ago, Rev said:

A 2615-0910 G2 box exists. With NO keyboard text on front and overlays printed in USA.    I don’t believe that is on the Funhouse database. 

No, the HK 0910 G2 box had overlays printed in HK, along with manual and cartridge, but printed on the bottom of the box instead of a sticker. (I bought the one you found during your search on eBay)

And I have the HK 910 G1 box with and without the sticker, and it appears that my HK with the keyboard component text has a sticker also.

I have had people claim that they had a US copy, but already sold it, but there could have been some confusion.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, sharkcharmer said:

Funhouse also indicates that a G1 was made in the US, but doesn’t list the Hong Kong G1 as a variant, which leads me to wonder if this is simply a typo. . .

I would tend to believe this now. I never really noticed the sticker notation. I don't think there are ANY OTHER US boxes with a sticker on the bottom.

3 hours ago, intvsteve said:

Gonna have to go dig in the stacks to see if I still have it... though my notes say the bottom flap has a sticker. @BSRSteve's image doesn't appear to be a sticker... … even harder to find? :gulp:

The bottom of the box image was from a different game, showing what I expected the bottom to look like.  I hadn't noticed that your listing said sticker. I haven't seen any US boxes with stickers. I guess I also didn't notice that you don't have the G1 box from HK at all. I knew I had a version you didn't have listed, but didn't realize both were missing.

1 hour ago, BSRSteve said:

I would tend to believe this now. I never really noticed the sticker notation. I don't think there are ANY OTHER US boxes with a sticker on the bottom.

Occam's razor does indeed apply here! This appears to be an error in the database. It will be remedied shortly.

Sorry about the snipe hunt!