IGNORED

Which game would you want reimagined for the VCS?

1200XL M.U.L.E.

I have been following the VCS release from the sidelines and I see it is now released. At $400 it seems rather pricey for me. I'm not an early adopter though. Perhaps if the system had some specific game that catches my attention I would be more interested. Maybe you can tell from my name here but I really like M.U.L.E. and would love to see it reimagined on the VCS. 

How about yourself? What would you like to see reimagined for the VCS?

For inspiration, this is a link to the (old) Atari games which ship with the VCS.
That way, we can all check if the title is something possibly which Atari could do.
https://atarivcs.com/atari-vault

With the system, we have Missile Command, but I really would like that to have waves as before.

My dream
I'd like a new Breakout, and even versions of the classics, just modernized to use a high-res TV,
even if the game-play was almost the same. Online would be nice, in this time of the pandemic!

A "Modern Atari Vault" would be my imagined dream - all games in modern versions with online
high-scores, and updated graphics, but not fundamentally reimagined. I know, a niche concept.
Of course very few people would want it, and it would be a huge effort, but if the floor is open...

Real-world today
For now... and in the real-world... 
There are some previous reimagined games which work with it, but only on via Windows so far.
These days, though, cross-platform development tools make conversions to VCS/Linux easier.

The ones I know of so far, from Atari, were all Windows-only historically:
- Missile Command
- Tempest
- Star Raiders
- Asteroids
- Pong
- Yars Revenge
- Haunted House 
- Night Driver (Mobile only so-far)
- Combat (Mobile only so-far)
- Ninja Golf (Mobile, coming soon)

In an interview, some time ago, the CEO said Atari have plans to bring more classics, of course.
As the developer of Missile Command (as I recall) is now an Atari share-holder, this should help.

6 hours ago, 1200XL M.U.L.E. said:

I have been following the VCS release from the sidelines and I see it is now released. At $400 it seems rather pricey for me. I'm not an early adopter though. Perhaps if the system had some specific game that catches my attention I would be more interested. Maybe you can tell from my name here but I really like M.U.L.E. and would love to see it reimagined on the VCS. 

How about yourself? What would you like to see reimagined for the VCS?

I like the idea of reimagined M.U.L.E.     However I tried an updated version of MULE for iOS.  The gameplay was pretty faithful to the original, yet it still didn't quite cut it.    For whatever reason, it's hard to beat the original

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, 1200XL M.U.L.E. said:

Was the iOS version called Space Horse?

MULE Returns:   http://mulereturns.com/

Looks like it's no longer available.

5 minutes ago, 1200XL M.U.L.E. said:

Adding to M.U.L.E., I would also like to see Blue Max, Archon, Caverns of Mars, Ali Baba and the 40 Thieves, Necromancer, Miner 2049er, and Jumpman to name a few. Getting the rights to those may be difficult.

I was thinking about Archon.   Maybe a version that can run 2D or 3D with modern graphics and animation.   EA had a number of games that had good ideas but poor implementation-   Mail Order Monsters, Racing Destruction Set, Adventure Construction Set.   Might be insteresting to see what could be done with those on modern hardware.

Off the top of my head:

Combat (i could see a grown up version of the mobile game that came loaded free being a nice addition)

Crystal Castles (optimized for the classic controller would be ideal, also a possible free game)

Berzerk as a 3D shooter

A killer racing game, like Pole Position VCS

Yars Revenge

• 2 months later...

I only discovered this game series was released several years ago on PSP and other platforms.
That's what happens when "real-life" takes over, and I do not own any Sony hardware like PSP.

The developer is British, and they list the games on their web-site. I'd love to see these on VCS.
https://www.stainlessgames.com/games

39 minutes ago, justclaws said:

I only discovered this game series was released several years ago on PSP and other platforms.
That's what happens when "real-life" takes over, and I do not own any Sony hardware like PSP.

The developer is British, and they list the games on their web-site. I'd love to see these on VCS.
https://www.stainlessgames.com/games

This compilation really made me angry: They advertise on the package that it contains a whole bunch of unlockable classic versions of the games and such, but the locks are gated behind completely unreasonable point totals or goals like "stay alive for three minutes in asteroids deluxe without firing a shot". Played it for like a year and never unlocked a thing.

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, Mockduck said:

This compilation really made me angry: They advertise on the package that it contains a whole bunch of unlockable classic versions of the games and such, but the locks are gated behind completely unreasonable point totals or goals like "stay alive for three minutes in asteroids deluxe without firing a shot". Played it for like a year and never unlocked a thing.

I found a save file online somewhere years ago, unlocked everything. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 6/2/2021 at 5:48 PM, justclaws said:

What about Atari Jaguar games reimagined? 

This all day! Just about any game released on Atari range of consoles or computers remade would be excellent! To me ThrustLander looks like a modernized Jaguar game! 

• Like 1

I don’t know about reimagined but I’d love Atari to bring Tempest 4000 to the VCS’s  Atari OS I’ve literally no idea why it’s not on there at this point it should be easy to port the windows version to Linux. I’d actually love to see Cybermorph brought to the VCS for laughs with a larger draw distance and at a higher resolution.