IGNORED

(potentially dumb question) How to boot into Fujinet with U1MB installed?

gollumer

I've been doing incremental upgrades to my 1200XL. After installing the UAV mod, I got a Fujinet adapter. Discovered it needs external power, but once powered it worked fine. (I've since done the 5v mod on the 1200XL, so no longer need the external power.)

I just installed the U1MB, with latest combined firmware (ultnogos.rom). U1MB seems to be working fine, but I can't seem to boot from the Fujinet anymore. Always boots directly to SpartaDosX.

What am I missing? (Thanks in advance)

3 minutes ago, manterola said:

Yes.. but in SDX I think to can still go to D1: and call the Fuji Config from there.

Ah, yes, ok...that works. I was expecting (incorrectly, it seems), that since Fujinet was on and present in the SIO port, it would boot directly to Fujinet like it used to. No worries. Easy enough to access it from SDX.

7 hours ago, manterola said:

Yes.. but in SDX I think to can still go to D1: and call the Fuji Config from there.

Just installed a U1MB in my 1200XL myself and was also surprised that I couldn't get to the Fujinet anymore.

What did you do to be able to use the U1MB SpartaDOS and the FujiNet together?

Does this trick work for the 1200XL (it's a trick to use for a U1MB-upgraded 800 with FujiNet)?  I don't have a U1MB 1200XL to try this:

FujiNet may not be finished starting its drive emulation in time before the 800 gave up and went to “Memo Pad.”  Hold down “start” when powering on the 800, like you do when booting from cassette.  Then wait a few seconds after the horrible screech and press “system reset.”  It will try again to boot from the emulated drive, and this time it should be ready.

22 hours ago, gollumer said:

I've been doing incremental upgrades to my 1200XL. After installing the UAV mod, I got a Fujinet adapter. Discovered it needs external power, but once powered it worked fine. (I've since done the 5v mod on the 1200XL, so no longer need the external power.)

I just installed the U1MB, with latest combined firmware (ultnogos.rom). U1MB seems to be working fine, but I can't seem to boot from the Fujinet anymore. Always boots directly to SpartaDosX.

What am I missing? (Thanks in advance)

Turn on the Atari and let it get to SpartaDOS. Press the RESET button on the Fujinet. Enter the command "FMALL"... it should then mount your FujiNet disks.

If you want to get to the FujiNet screen press the RESET button on the Fujinet and then enter the command "COLD /N"

What I'm told is happening is that the U1MB is confusing the FujiNet at boot, making the FujiNet unresponsive. That's why you need to hit the RESET button. Hopefully there is a fix for this soon.

FYI, if you can't use the FMALL or COLD command, you might want to look here:  #FujiNet, Ultimate 1MB, and SpartaDOS X with FujiNet Tools Included. - YouTube

• Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, Calab said:

FYI, if you can't use the FMALL or COLD command, you might want to look here:  #FujiNet, Ultimate 1MB, and SpartaDOS X with FujiNet Tools Included. - YouTube

To be clear, "COLD" is a standard SpartaDOS X command. "FMALL" is not - that's part of Thom's FujiNet-specific tools. 

I asked for that, was told it was a good idea... don't know if it happened. I am now fujinet-less and will remain so for some time it would seem. But the idea remains a good one. If the fujinet is usb powered it retains stuff as it's still on though...  which is what most people do for now...

also update your fujinet, as sio uart and other things such of soft reset are fixed again. it may help for some issues

Edited by _The Doctor__

It’s not necessarily just that the FujiNet doesn’t start with the disk images mounted - there is also some software that seems to corrupt or interrupt the FujiNet startup process completely. For instance, AtariWriter. Plug that cart into your Atari with FujiNet attached and watch what happens - the AtariWriter splash screen appears BEFORE the SIO boot process tries to start, then FujiNet will boot to a corrupted and confused SSID selection screen rather than the normal TNFS Hosts/Drive Slot screen as it should. So far as I can tell, you simply cannot use FujiNet as a boot or storage device in conjunction with an AtariWriter cart. I suspect the SDX boot process may also be interfering with FujiNet. That’s not a big deal for me, as I have real floppies, SIO2PC+RespeQt, SIDe2/SIDe3/XEL-CF etc. But it does limit the use cases for trying to use FujiNet as *the* single do everything/all the time device. However, you can use the FujiNet web interface to turn off CONFIG, boot your Atari with an alternate boot device and still use the device for printer emulation. I haven’t tried the same to see if it works for R: or N: support if you don’t boot from it.  

• Like 1

Yes: it's potentially a big ask to expect a 16K application cart written forty years ago to work well with something which hopes to run a boot menu between the cartridge INIT and RUN vectors being called. I suppose this is where a) booting with the previously mounted set of volumes ready for use and b) being able to remotely mount images on the server side would be extremely useful.

11 minutes ago, flashjazzcat said:

Yes: it's potentially a big ask to expect a 16K application cart written forty years ago to work well with something which hopes to run a boot menu between the cartridge INIT and RUN vectors being called. I suppose this is where a) booting with the previously mounted set of volumes ready for use and b) being able to remotely mount images on the server side would be extremely useful.

Agreed. I know you can do the second part via some tools Thom has written - they can be invoked via DOS (using a binary-load option for menu based DOS’s and command line tools for DOS XL, SDX or whatever). I *think* there’s plans to control slot-selection and file mounting via the web interface, without needing to use the boot menu program (CONFIG) eventually but I don’t know if any work has been done. You can already disable CONFIG from running at boot time, and presumably use the tools referred to above to mount files to disk slots, but for a cart like AtariWriter that doesn’t help you because the cart starts running before SIO boot starts happening. I think if the web-interface can be used to mount images before the Atari is booted, that would side-step the issue.  

• Like 1

another idea would be to use a poll or command to activate config... leaving config invisible until doing so.. and to further make it a user friendly device.. holding one of it's buttons to launch config... in one form or another like almost any other device...

maybe @tschak909 will pass by some of the discussions here and there and consider the ideas, and experiences. It's food for thought

23 hours ago, Calab said:

If you want to get to the FujiNet screen press the RESET button on the Fujinet and then enter the command "COLD /N"

This is exactly what's working for me. Once booted into SDX, I reset the FujiNet then do COLD /N to boot to the FujiNet config screens.

the best I can think of is that config stay out of it... just let polled driver or whatever truly is needed without all that other crap loading as a Waldorf sandwich, the whole process is so full of reboot, reset what have you, it's quite inconvenient and daunting... the config blended and hiding in there... it just needs to stay away completely unless purposefully called either by the tools, button, poll whatever. It's getting in it's own way.

Edited by _The Doctor__
  • Like 1

Could a method be provided where we could type FUJUNET -CONFIG /C or something like that to disable / enable Config boot from the Atari side?

Useful for SDX.

Example: -CONFIG to turn it off. +CONFIG to turn it on. /C for coldstart.

This would be useful for those who don't have a Windows / Mac / Linux machine.

Yes. Those users exist.