IGNORED

Colecovision shock therapy???

Gunnder

I was playing my Colecovision which I've had for years and play it on and off throughout the years.  

Tonight while playing I got this MAJOR shock in my hand while holding the controller, and all of sudden all the controls were done, ie: unresponsive....  So obviously something got fried, the shock was actually really strong, scared the crap outta me tbh.

So is this a common occurance with the Colecovision? I have no idea how it happened other then just a build up of static electricity maybe?  I'm lost on this one...all I know is that my good 'ole Coleco is dead...well not dead...but no movement so just as worthless I guess :(

Is there some specific areas/chips I should try and replace?

EDIT: I found this on console5. I wonder if I just desolder the old one and solder in this new one if it fixes the issue.  Since console5 actually stocks this with a socket, I'm going to assume it's a common fault on these consoles lol: https://console5.com/store/colecovision-controller-chip-repair-kit.html

Edited by Gunnder

4 hours ago, ChildOfCv said:

You should also keep an eye out for the anti-static kit.  Unfortunately they seem to be out of stock at the moment.

Yeah that's my fault, my reflow oven is down here in the shop.  I've got the boardhouse in China making them for me as we speak.  Was a little delay in production with the Lunar New Year and they just started on my order yesterday.  Should be available in a few weeks on Console5's website. :)

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Ruggers Customs said:

Yeah that's my fault, my reflow oven is down here in the shop.  I've got the boardhouse in China making them for me as we speak.  Was a little delay in production with the Lunar New Year and they just started on my order yesterday.  Should be available in a few weeks on Console5's website. :)

I saw a youtube video where she used a clothes iron to do the reflow :)

• Haha 2

9 minutes ago, Ruggers Customs said:

I installed some of these in a CV after I fried and replaced one of my controller chips.  Just want to say that these ESD protectors are very easy to install and I'd highly recommend them.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Ruggers Customs said:

Do you repair dead OEM power supplies?