IGNORED

Wizadry on the Woodgrain - Tiki

Andrew Davie

Proposal:  Wizadry on the Woodgrain - Tiki

Wizadry on the Woodgrain

I thought it might be worthwhile to have a comprehensive Wiki/Tiki - a single place where all the accumulated technical knowledge could be stored.

The concept is a place where the technical information can be brought together in a curated and carefully crosslinked reference to programming the machine, with the technical details as thorough as possible. If you want to know something about colours/palettes, then you'd go to the above page.  It's only a brief start, of course, and the rest of the tiki at the moment is just garbage from the default install I did.

But it does seem to be working properly, and I'll be making some effort whenever new stuff pops up to add a note to the tiki and slowly it will, I hope, become a valued resource for all of use. I invite you to join/register and add content as you think fit.

My approach will be to always link to original sources, where appropriate, but also have a local copy of relevant information so that it is not lost. For example, if something is mentioned here on the forum then the tiki should link to that post - but also preserve the technical content so that it is readable in-context with the rest of the information each tiki page is discussing.  Attribution is very important.

Anyway, so that's the plan. As with all things, one might lose interest -- but I hope that several of you may find some use/interest in participating in this.  As an aside, in collating the small bit of information about colours I have already come across a few things that I had forgotten about... and also run into a few broken links on stuff that I wanted to know about. Hopefully this will fix all that.

Edited by Andrew Davie
new URL
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 3

1 hour ago, alex_79 said:

That's something I felt it was needed for quite some time, as there's so much info resulting from the last over two decades of homebrew scene that is hard to find because it is scattered all over the place.

I hope many people will participate to add contents. ?

As is normal with these things, it takes someone to start it and make it useful for others. It's not useful yet as it has no content, but if I keep at it for a while eventually someone else will join in and then the ball's rolling.

3 hours ago, Andrew Davie said:

I've completed a first-pass on all of the bankswitching schemes...

http://www.taswegian.com/WoodgrainWizard/tiki-index.php?page=Bank-Switching

Cool. You can also find some bankswitching info in the Stella's header files of the CartXY classes.

12 minutes ago, Thomas Jentzsch said:

Cool. You can also find some bankswitching info in the Stella's header files of the CartXY classes.

I've been through already and grabbed what I can.

Some have little documentation so will need more work to get the details.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BigO said:

Kind of off topic but, "This site contains technical information about the Atari 260 game system."

S/b 2600.

TY. Fixed.

You know you could have registered and edited/fixed that one yourself and had all the satisfaction and that warm glowy feeling instead of me...

My point being it's a wiki and designed for everyone to particpate... don't be shy.

Edited by Andrew Davie
  • Like 1

54 minutes ago, Andrew Davie said:

TY. Fixed.

You know you could have registered and edited/fixed that one yourself and had all the satisfaction and that warm glowy feeling instead of me...

My point being it's a wiki and designed for everyone to particpate... don't be shy.

Regarding that - I registered as Karl G, and confirmed my email with the link, but when I am logged in I don't have permission to even view pages. Do you need to do something on your end to validate my account first?

2 minutes ago, Karl G said:

Regarding that - I registered as Karl G, and confirmed my email with the link, but when I am logged in I don't have permission to even view pages. Do you need to do something on your end to validate my account first?

Sorry, new to the forum software and how it works.

I'll look into it ASAP.

9 minutes ago, Karl G said:

I think I may have found the settings and fixed.

Bizarrely, by the default install, non-logged-in users had higher permissions than registered users.

• Thanks 1

Just now, Thomas Jentzsch said:

Seems to work now. :thumbsup:

BTW: Why did you name "F8" as "F8 and F9"?

I will fix this. I was just block-copying documentation from here there and everywhere without really studying it. I found F8/F9 and thought it curious, but kept it until I understood more about why F9.  Please feel free to edit/fix :)

1 hour ago, Thomas Jentzsch said:

How can I edit the name of a page?

I have fixed that one already.

I had that option disabled as I didn't think we would want registered users to change page names.

I'll enable it tomorrow ASAP.

But normally when you're on a page it appears as a page on the bottom "RENAME"

Edited by Andrew Davie

@Andrew Davie did you choose the "taswegian.com" domain on purpose? Maybe (a subdomain) of your other ".org" domain would be better for SEO reasons. Also for SEO reasons you should fill the keywords list.

I have registered even though I am sure there is not much I can contribute except maybe a chapter about PlusROM functions if you like.

Just now, Al_Nafuur said:

@Andrew Davie did you choose the "taswegian.com" domain on purpose? Maybe (a subdomain) of your other ".org" domain would be better for SEO reasons. Also for SEO reasons you should fill the keywords list.

I have registered even though I am sure there is not much I can contribute except maybe a chapter about PlusROM functions if you like.

It was just what was convenient.

I'm reluctant to use atari2600.org for anything/much as there's some legal agreement with Atari regarding my use of it, and to be honest I have (1) forgotten what the agreement was exactly and (2) it stresses me out to even think about that company and having to deal with their lawyers again.

• Haha 1