IGNORED

Wizadry on the Woodgrain - Tiki

Andrew Davie

I've gotten 5 email notifications from the tiki that are similar to this one:

Plugin tag is pending approval on Session 5: Memory Architecture.
See all the pending plugins in the plugin approval page.
Plugin arguments:
* tag: sup

Plugin body:

It seems like it's something that should just go to an admin?

1 hour ago, Karl G said:

I've gotten 5 email notifications from the tiki that are similar to this one:

Plugin tag is pending approval on Session 5: Memory Architecture.
See all the pending plugins in the plugin approval page.
Plugin arguments:
* tag: sup

Plugin body:

It seems like it's something that should just go to an admin?

Yes, thanks. I'll try and fix ASAP.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Andrew Davie said:

I think this is now fixed. Was to do with a plugin - required approval to use and all registered users had the permission to approve.

Please let me know if the issue continues, and my apologies for the inconvenience. Perils of new software, I guess.

No apologies needed. ;-) I'm glad that you have set this up, and I don't mind the growing pains and working out the kinks.

• Like 1

It took me a long time to fully understand how to do a 48-pixel routine, so I added a page for it to the Tiki. I'm not as experienced as many of you, so if anyone is willing to take the time to double-check my work, I'd appreciate it:

http://www.taswegian.com/WoodgrainWizard/tiki-index.php?page=48-pixel-Image-Routine

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Karl G said:

It took me a long time to fully understand how to do a 48-pixel routine, so I added a page for it to the Tiki. I'm not as experienced as many of you, so if anyone is willing to take the time to double-check my work, I'd appreciate it:

http://www.taswegian.com/WoodgrainWizard/tiki-index.php?page=48-pixel-Image-Routine

Great, TY. That's exactly the sort of content I was hoping for, and you explain it way better than I could.

There's a "Files" button on the bottom of each page, and that's where to attach things to keep them relevant (rather than an external link).

I'll fix that up soon, and also review everything. But, in summarry, you've done a sterling job. Thanks again.

• Thanks 2

40 minutes ago, Andrew Davie said:

Great, TY. That's exactly the sort of content I was hoping for, and you explain it way better than I could.

There's a "Files" button on the bottom of each page, and that's where to attach things to keep them relevant (rather than an external link).

I'll fix that up soon, and also review everything. But, in summarry, you've done a sterling job. Thanks again.

Thanks! I'm glad you like it. I'll look for the files button for any new content I add. I think I'll probably also add a tutorial for a 96-pixel "flickerblinds" kernel.

• Thanks 1

Seems like there's no "search" function for non logged in users?

What about a place for discussing improvements and ideas for the wiki pages and post or link documentation to be used as reference?

I think a club here on AA ("behind the woodgrain"? ?) would work perfectly for this.

2 hours ago, alex_79 said:

Seems like there's no "search" function for non logged in users?

What about a place for discussing improvements and ideas for the wiki pages and post or link documentation to be used as reference?

I think a club here on AA ("behind the woodgrain"? ?) would work perfectly for this.

This link appears to work, so I'll put it on the non-logged-in-page somwehere...

http://www.taswegian.com/WoodgrainWizard/tiki-searchresults.php

An AA club is a good idea.

The tiki/wiki software does support a forum, but I was reluctant to enable it.

42 minutes ago, Andrew Davie said:

This link appears to work, so I'll put it on the non-logged-in-page somwehere...

http://www.taswegian.com/WoodgrainWizard/tiki-searchresults.php

An AA club is a good idea.

The tiki/wiki software does support a forum, but I was reluctant to enable it.

I think that hesitation is warranted.  Take StackExchange for example. After enabling the comments section, and meta section, the traffic on those sections increased considerably and started to take away from the core mission, a Q&A site for programming questions. Keep the woodgrain wiki focused on being a comprehensive reference for all things 2600 programming related.  Maybe far in tne future open up forums for the site. 

A search tool would be useful though. If not, I hope Google can crawl the entire site.

14 minutes ago, CapitanClassic said:

I think that hesitation is warranted.  Take StackExchange for example. After enabling the comments section, and meta section, the traffic on those sections increased considerably and started to take away from the core mission, a Q&A site for programming questions. Keep the woodgrain wiki focused on being a comprehensive reference for all things 2600 programming related.  Maybe far in tne future open up forums for the site. 

A search tool would be useful though. If not, I hope Google can crawl the entire site.

It has a search; you just have to register at the moment to use it.

I'm not sure requiring registration to use the search resource is such a bad thing. If you're so interested in the information, at least do the honourable thing and become a registered user to do so.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, alex_79 said:

I added a brief description about the Vertical Delay. I always found the Stella Programmer's Guide a bit confusing about this.
Maybe it could be referenced when pages about the VDELxx registers are done.

Perhaps my bad english will be an incentive for someone to register and fix it, and then add content to the tiki...

Really nice addition - thanks!

I don't think it needs much touching up. Just a few formatting and linking to other stuff. But you've done 99% of it already.

Thanks again.  I've put it in the "technical" menu on the front page.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Andrew Davie said:

Really nice addition - thanks!

I don't think it needs much touching up. Just a few formatting and linking to other stuff. But you've done 99% of it already.

I guess you could use GRP0 and GRP1 as RAM/storage, in a weird roundabout way and get some extra bytes of RAM.

My thinking is... you write to them normally - when it comes time to read what's stored, you setup a collision pixel on the screen, position the sprites one pixel every frame and read the collision bit, rolling it into accumulator or wherever.

Weird and completely useless but would work, I think :P

• Like 2

The same would work with the missiles and the ball, and playfield of course. And you could read NUSIZx registers that way too, also some bits of CTRLPF. Reading RESMx is also possible. And you could use the VDELed shadow registers and gain another 16 bits! :) Plus one bit from the ball. 

There was a thread about this somewhere on AtariAge.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Andrew Davie said:

Mhmm... Something's not quite right. I erroneously got credit for "Playfield Timing" which is by Micheal Rideout (@SeaGtGruff) instead.
And, there's no need to credit me at all. I feel that might cause people to refrain from correcting, editing or rewrite that page, which is the point of a wiki.:)

There's always the page history if someone wants to see who contributed.

Edited by alex_79

8 hours ago, alex_79 said:

Mhmm... Something's not quite right. I erroneously got credit for "Playfield Timing" which is by Micheal Rideout (@SeaGtGruff) instead.
And, there's no need to credit me at all. I feel that might cause people to refrain from correcting, editing or rewrite that page, which is the point of a wiki.:)

There's always the page history if someone wants to see who contributed.

Sorry about that.  You could have fixed it ... wiki you know :)

I'm trying to be careful about crediting people for their work/contributions but I do agree with your viewpoint here.

I've been spending a lot of time populating the tiki.  Some of them are looking very nice -- to me, at least!

A sample...

PF0 http://www.taswegian.com/WoodgrainWizard/tiki-index.php?page=PF0

Collisions http://www.taswegian.com/WoodgrainWizard/tiki-index.php?page=Collision-Registers

NUSIZ0 http://www.taswegian.com/WoodgrainWizard/tiki-index.php?page=NUSIZ0

TIA Overview http://www.taswegian.com/WoodgrainWizard/tiki-index.php?page=TIA

I just figured out how to save full-page images - wasn't quite as automatic as I expected, as a number of sites that advertise they do it were either non-functional, functioning incorrectly or just plain missing. Anyway, this is a one-off I promise... some nice pages.  I'd like to encourage everyone to contribute -- a few people are already doing so.

826391300_CollisionRegisters.thumb.png.58360a7b68fbcf10d3a378d7eb83b690.png

TIA.thumb.png.c9f26e2f3ecbcb663d5b1fed9fb80031.png

PF0.thumb.png.bbccc3f90ffd953883b114100e54213f.png

NUSIZ0.thumb.png.5b96772aab8de43a6e43575b45face01.png

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...