Jump to content
8bitAndy

Reset button hardware

Recommended Posts

My Vectrex is missing the reset button. It has a white plastic post where I assumed a nice button attached. I ordered a new button, but it does not fit on the post, it looks like the post is supposed to have a hollow center.

Pressing the post resets the Vectrex, so the actual switch seems fine. Do I have a stock part, how is it supposed to look?

20210220_164604.jpg

20210220_173518.jpg

Edited by 8bitAndy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Tony Lindberg in Sweden and I think Sean Kelly in the USA, maybe some others, offer machined aluminium replacements.  There are also designs on places like thingiverse for 3D printing your own (though I did try one of those myself once and it was not a good fit).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, gtoal said:

Tony Lindberg in Sweden and I think Sean Kelly in the USA, maybe some others, offer machined aluminium replacements.  There are also designs on places like thingiverse for 3D printing your own (though I did try one of those myself once and it was not a good fit).

I did order a replacement, it just doesn't fit. The replacement button has a post in the middle that doesn't fit the white plastic post on my Vectrex. I edited the original post to show my replacement button.

Edited by 8bitAndy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, 8bitAndy said:

I did order a replacement, it just doesn't fit. The replacement button has a post in the middle that doesn't fit the white plastic post on my Vectrex. I edited the original post to show my replacement button.

I'd send that pic to the place you ordered the replacement button from for some advice, it looks like something broke off inside there maybe?  I'm not sure what that area is supposed to look like.  Also if you're on Facebook there's a great Vectrex group with lots of people who could probably know what to do.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/20/2021 at 1:51 PM, 8bitAndy said:

My Vectrex is missing the reset button. It has a white plastic post where I assumed a nice button attached. I ordered a new button, but it does not fit on the post, it looks like the post is supposed to have a hollow center.

Pressing the post resets the Vectrex, so the actual switch seems fine. Do I have a stock part, how is it supposed to look?

20210220_164604.jpg

20210220_173518.jpg

 

The Reset button actuator stem is hollow and threaded.  On your Vectrex the screw from the reset button appears to be broken off from the button and still inside the actuator.

 

Here are links to my YouTube and Google album videos on Vectrex control know an button removal.  As well as what the look like when removed. 

Vectrex Front Panel Controls removal for Reset Button and Power-Volume Knob - Vectrex / 光速船 / Kousokusen 

 

https://photos.app.goo.gl/i21uwDmMszxG7yge8

 

Here is a a link to the album with pictures and movie.

Vectrex Front Panel Controls removal for Reset Button and Power-Volume Knob - Vectrex / 光速船 / Kousokusen 
https://photos.app.goo.gl/uCwxAf578Kk58PkM2

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, Vectrexer said:

 

The Reset button actuator stem is hollow and threaded.  On your Vectrex the screw from the reset button appears to be broken off from the button and still inside the actuator.

 

Here are links to my YouTube and Google album videos on Vectrex control know an button removal.  As well as what the look like when removed. 

Vectrex Front Panel Controls removal for Reset Button and Power-Volume Knob - Vectrex / 光速船 / Kousokusen 

 

https://photos.app.goo.gl/i21uwDmMszxG7yge8

 

Here is a a link to the album with pictures and movie.

Vectrex Front Panel Controls removal for Reset Button and Power-Volume Knob - Vectrex / 光速船 / Kousokusen 
https://photos.app.goo.gl/uCwxAf578Kk58PkM2

 

 

Thank you. 👍 I was able to remove the old glue plugging my the actuator stem and screw in my reset button.

Edited by 8bitAndy
  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/22/2021 at 10:28 PM, 8bitAndy said:

 

Thank you. 👍 I was able to remove the old glue plugging my the actuator stem and screw in my reset button.

Cool.  Did you also make a video of the removal process?  Or take pics?

 

How did you remove the old screw thread and material?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/5/2021 at 1:30 PM, Vectrexer said:

Cool.  Did you also make a video of the removal process?  Or take pics?

 

How did you remove the old screw thread and material?

It turned out to be some superficial glue plugging the hole, no screw. I guess a previous owner tried to glue a threadless knob back on

The glue didn't join very well to the actuator which made the removal easy once I knew what I was dealing with. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...