IGNORED

Customize SpartaDOS X disk image used by U1MB?

Calab

So, I just installed a U1MB into my 1200XL. It seems to be working well. One thing I can't figure out is how to customize the SpartaDOS X disk image that the U1MB uses to boot from... or how to make a bootable floppy disk from SpartaDOS X.

I want to create a custom CONFIG.SYS file. I can't edit the one on the U1MB disk image, and SpartaDOS X doesn't read it from my floppy drive or floppy disk images on my FujiNet.

The default CONFIG.SYS file loads SpartaDOS X under the OS, which causes conflicts with some software. I want to, among other things, set SpartaDOS X to load into BANKED memory. I also want to use the $SCRDEF variable to change the screen colors and margins, and to load the QUICKED driver.

Can anyone explain how to do this?

The default CONFIG.SYS will only install DOS under the OS if you don't have >128K, which you certainly should have with an U1MB. Just set the machine to 320K, 576K, or 1088K and SDX will load into banked memory, even if no custom CONFIG.SYS is found on the boot device.

If you do want to make a custom CONFIG.SYS, just place it on an SDFS formatted volume attached on D1:, using whichever device you prefer. SDX never 'boots' a disk per-se. To boot from disk, type COLD /N at the SDX prompt, or turn off SDX entirely in the U1MB settings.

Edited by flashjazzcat

6 hours ago, flashjazzcat said:

If you do want to make a custom CONFIG.SYS, just place it on an SDFS formatted volume attached on D1:, using whichever device you prefer. SDX never 'boots' a disk per-se. To boot from disk, type COLD /N at the SDX prompt, or turn off SDX entirely in the U1MB settings.

...and there is my problem.  The U1MB and FujiNet I have don't play well together. That means that I can't have any disk images mounted when SpartaDOS starts.  I'm going to set my real floppy drive to D1: and see if the config will load from there.

Surely FujiNet doesn't forget the mounted volumes every time it's powered off? You should find that almost any other device works well, anyway. I've never received so many emails asking for help with basic operation since people started buying FujiNet. Perhaps @tschak909 can provide some clear instruction, since SDX and FujiNet seems to be pretty much a known quantity at this point.

Edited by flashjazzcat

3 hours ago, flashjazzcat said:

Surely FujiNet doesn't forget the mounted volumes every time it's powered off?

Oh no... It remembers them. The problem is that when SpartDOS X starts it confuses the FujiNet device and the images don't get mounted. Once I'm at the SpartaDOS X prompt I can issue a "FMALL" command to mount all the selected images, then a "COLD" command to restart and it works normally then.

9 minutes ago, Calab said:

The problem is that when SpartDOS X starts it confuses the FujiNet device and the images don't get mounted.

Ah yes - I vaguely remember some talk of the SDX drive polling causing FujiNet to get its knickers twisted. I had expressed interest in contributing to an SDX kernel driver for FujiNet, but have had no time to even remain adequately up to date on what's happening with the project.

26 minutes ago, flashjazzcat said:

Ah yes - I vaguely remember some talk of the SDX drive polling causing FujiNet to get its knickers twisted. I had expressed interest in contributing to an SDX kernel driver for FujiNet, but have had no time to even remain adequately up to date on what's happening with the project.

There is a FujiNet firmware update released a couple days ago that might address the issue. I'll give it a go once I have a free minute.

I use the SDX Imager to create custom ROMs with the FujiNet tools on them:

http://sdx.atari8.info/index.php?show=en_addons

As for boot behavior, we have two very rigidly divided camps here:

* People that don't use SDX

* People that use SDX

Clearly we need to work out a clear set of use cases and procedures for both, that I can codify to make things just work in the firmware. I've tried my best, but it seems people are still angry or frustrated.

-Thom

5 hours ago, Calab said:

There is a FujiNet firmware update released a couple days ago that might address the issue. I'll give it a go once I have a free minute.

Update the thread, I'd be interested in your experiences.

This vaguely sounds like what I ran into, although I've had no time for Atari for weeks now, but what I ended up doing is not using the fujinet as a storage device.

My 1200XL has a u1mb, and I have my own config.sys on d1:.   It's not booting from d1, but reading the config.sys from there anyway.  What I like about using, well in this case an xf551 for storage, is it works 100% reliably all the time without issue, so I'm not looking to fix what works. I also use a sio2sd for mass storage.

I have a 1200xl that flakes on software reboots.  It works fine when turning it on, and always worked for me in the past, but I guess I was just a person that either turned the machine on or off, once I got into this software reset workflow, that just didn't work.   The reset or software driven cold boot, causes the machine to flake at odd times, so not really a choice for me...at least until the replacement machine that I ordered in December arrives.  That's scheduled to arrive next week - woo hoo!

12 hours ago, tschak909 said:

* People that don't use SDX

* People that use SDX

The problem is more who use Fuji as stand-alone or not.

I have the same 'issues' when booting over SIO, I have a executable that loads and mounts the last stored Fuji-config.

I would suggest that FujiNet should restore the last configuration by it self when something else takes boot-control.

That works for any DOS or any one who uses Fuji as device (not stand-a-lone)

Is that workable Thomas?

So during powerup:

-if Something else boots, restore configuration.

-if Fuji boots, do the config stuff and end with OPTION to boot.

I really hope this can be done.

Later!

• Like 1