IGNORED

Why still pre-order for VCS?

Rick Dangerous

I'm starting to get more and more interested in grabbing a VCS. I notice on both their page and GS, it says "pre-order." Why? Are they not drop shipping them at this point. 

I'd rather give my money to the company but I'm wondering how long the wait is...tempted to get one from eBay where they are available at retail prices new in box. 

Anyone have any experience with doing the pre-order recently and get yours asap or are you still waiting?

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

3 hours ago, SizzleAtari said:

One of the gentlemen who works with tech support says they're shipping late spring.

Drones get told the same thing you get told. 

Spoiler

That is what my friends uncle's best friend said, he is the janitor for tech support.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

I am on the fence about a pre-order. The early reaction of backers has been positive. I do not anticipate long term support from Atari but I think they delivered a solid mini PC that could make a nice emulation box when and if direct support dries up. It's a little spendy for the build but in that way it reminds me of low volume boutique items.

The main thing pointing me to eBay is that I prefer the lighter wood veneer to the black walnut or Onyx. 

• Like 3

The dual core CPU is a real let-down. Why would they use such a weak processor in 2020 when 8 cores abound?  Would hope this could be rectified with a VCS "pro" someday but this launch unit would have to succeed first and man is that ever a long-shot.  I suspect Atari will support it for 6-12 months before giving up unless it's a sleeper success (one can hope!)

So it dawned on me that it's a pre-order still because the console technically hasn't launched yet. The only ones in the wild were sent to early backers. Hence the "pre-order" status with general retailers.  Interesting it's not available at Best Buy.

• Like 2

Ah, ok.  I bought extra controllers too after the campaign so my initial backer total was much less.  Atari sent out an email after the campaign ended for anyone to purchase extra controllers at the campaign price and I did at that point.  

3 hours ago, Bennett83 said:

I suspect this will never be properly released and will be limited to the initial run for the backers.  My £300 purchase is looking like a very expensive emulator

I disagree, and in fact all signs point to preorders starting to get sent out in small numbers before a wider fulfillment. Additionally, backers recently got a chance to stock up on a new batch of controllers both Classic and Modern at a discount, so clearly the warehouse is getting more stuff. 

• Like 2

I snagged one from Ebay just so i can get in on the VCS party now!  Came with four controllers and at a reasonable price too.  Should be here next Friday.

First download will be Tailgunner for sure.  

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Atari-VCS-800-Onyx-with-2-Atari-Classic-Joysticks-2-Atari-Modern-Controller/184682358228?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

Screen Shot 2021-02-26 at 10.49.28 AM.png

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, Rick Dangerous said:

Ant Stream Arcade is cool i didn't even know about that!

Enjoy it man!  I am loving Ant Stream too, they have a great library and are always adding more.  Been playing Earthworm Jim and Mortal Kombat a bunch.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Rick Dangerous said:

Another life goal complete today...

To me the system is worth it just to play the archive.org DOS and arcade libraries. 

PXL_20210301_221329579.NIGHT.jpg

How did you do this? Is this through dosbox, or through something in the AtariStore?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Rick Dangerous said:

Wow; that was quick!  Enjoying it so far!  Just set up and played some games; Ant Stream Arcade is cool i didn't even know about that! 

PXL_20210301_194112054.jpg

PXL_20210301_204619820.NIGHT.jpg

PXL_20210301_204659900.NIGHT.jpg

PXL_20210301_205643422.jpg

Cool!  The arcade port of Burgertime!

I own that on my Midway Collection Vol. 1 on PS1 as well as the NES port on my Evercade and the 7800 Beef Drop game.

How does it play and how are the controllers for the VCS?

• Thanks 1

I just got my ebay unit today too. Woodgrain with two classic controllers and one modern controller. I spent the last 4 hours after work playing Antstream and Tempest in Atari Vault with the joystick controller. That joystick is a dream on Pac games. I also played a bit of Missile Command Recharged.

I downloaded Tailgunner and Atari Vault Vol 2. Tailgunner is nice but I don't see myself putting real time into it.  Not sure what my next game will be yet. 

• Like 3

The controllers are nice!  They feel like nice high-end first party controllers.  The rumble effect is particularly good and i noticed it right away as being a cut above even Sony/MS offerings from this last gen. 

Tailgunner is cool but is hard as nails; i wish i could get more than 2-3 waves in; but i need to spend some more time with it first.  The gun overheats really quickly and you need to shoot the planes a bunch to get them to drop; so that makes it a challenge.  The range of the gun is also pretty short which makes it all the harder.   Still....love the graphics, the art deco feel, and the jazz tunes.  All in all a solid effort and well worth the $5. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...