IGNORED

Dinosaur Planet N64 leaked

BDW

A late build of Dinosaur Planet for the N64 got leaked. Current estimate is that it's 90% complete. Devs are working right now to fix software bugs and get it completely playable. Crazy stuff.

Here's the archive.org link for the unaltered ROM file. Playability is hit or miss on emulators but apparently it works well on actual hardware.

• Like 5

=)~

I had a hand on this nearly 21 years ago at E3 2000 and it bothered me ever since it was dumped on N64, then dumped into a Starfox game and just lost.  Whoever got their hands on this to get that 'forest of illusion' entity who released it I'm eternally grateful for the effort, as I will be when hackers take the data and fix the glitches.

Everdrive is going to get a workout finally.  Mmmmm...  DO play this, it's one hell of an experience.  It really gives you a feel what the N64 was capable of in really good hands, obviously Rare, but this is even a step in quality higher than Conker's Bad Fur Day from them too which says a lot.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Tanooki said:

=)~

I had a hand on this nearly 21 years ago at E3 2000 and it bothered me ever since it was dumped on N64, then dumped into a Starfox game and just lost.  Whoever got their hands on this to get that 'forest of illusion' entity who released it I'm eternally grateful for the effort, as I will be when hackers take the data and fix the glitches.

Everdrive is going to get a workout finally.  Mmmmm...  DO play this, it's one hell of an experience.  It really gives you a feel what the N64 was capable of in really good hands, obviously Rare, but this is even a step in quality higher than Conker's Bad Fur Day from them too which says a lot.

I tried it on my Everdrive and after the splash screen everything is black but there is still audio for some reason

21 minutes ago, Punisher5.0 said:

I tried it on my Everdrive and after the splash screen everything is black but there is still audio for some reason

Are you sure you're using the cracked rom file?

Here's a thread with people having a similar issue. See if this has any affect: 

22 minutes ago, BDW said:

Are you sure you're using the cracked rom file?

Here's a thread with people having a similar issue. See if this has any affect: 

Yes I am using the cracked one. The link isn't in your post. Can you post it please?

Edit: For some reason my phone doesn't show it but my PC does. I can't even get that far in the game. There is a splash screen that shows a dinosaur holding a spear. After that all I get is a black screen.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Punisher5.0 said:

Everdrive 64's save file (rename the rom "Dinosaur Planet" and add the line "DP=5 (Dinosaur Planet)" to your "save_db.txt" file in the Everdrive directory on the SD card) to get it to work.

It's a save issue.  Game is confirmed to work 100% (as much as possible with a beta) on everdrives or if you make your own carts.  It just doesn't play happy with emulators at all.  That clip you find nearly an hour long online from shiryu uses emulation so you see gaping black holes in walls in places and stuff.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Tanooki said:

Everdrive 64's save file (rename the rom "Dinosaur Planet" and add the line "DP=5 (Dinosaur Planet)" to your "save_db.txt" file in the Everdrive directory on the SD card) to get it to work.

It's a save issue.  Game is confirmed to work 100% (as much as possible with a beta) on everdrives or if you make your own carts.  It just doesn't play happy with emulators at all.  That clip you find nearly an hour long online from shiryu uses emulation so you see gaping black holes in walls in places and stuff.

Thank you! This game is impressive looking

• Like 2

Charming, definitely.

It was pissing me off earlier, but I realized something, it wasn't my fault entirely, it was but not... my firmware was 3.04, and I didn't know that krikzz broke saving more or less in the ED v3 and 2.5 models (mine is a ED3 aka Ultra ED64 aka ED x7 now) so it just was saving but not.  IT kept the name(face icon) of who I was currently using, my save file name, and also the elapsed time, but it kept going back to the intro of the game losing all progress into the title on foot.  I popped the new firmware on there and I got about 45min into it I guess and wow, it really is stunning how detailed and excellent the work was put into this and it's on par if not easily exceeding Conker in quality considering this one isn't going for the toon look so much but more serious tones.  It's not some lame weak collect-a-thon typical rareware garbage either, again like Conker, proper story, little 'go get it and then 1000 more like it' style junk too.  It's glitchy, it'll crash, so save often to be safe.  But so far, excellent set pieces, characters, story designs, etc.  There's more here than what Starfox Adventures ended up with, and I liked that, one, but this one now it's refreshing my memory of it is better.

Whoever is working on it, I hope they can get it stable and use whatever assets in there exist to make sure it hopefully can be completed.

Like Wonder Project J2's translation to english, this I would PAY to put on a cart (probably viewpoint too.) :)

5 hours ago, NeonSpaceBeagle said:

Is this okay to ask here?  What is the best way to go about actually playing this?  I have an N64 everdrive, but I never set it up myself, I bought an SD card already formatted with everything on it.  Can I just drop the file onto the SD cart is it's fine or do I have to do anything else? 

Kind of. Follow the directions that Tanooki posted and it will work.

• 1 month later...

I finally got a chance to try it tonight. It was impressive how far Rare got with it. I got as far as Sabr...uh..Fox McCloud crossing over a frozen river on ice pedestals and then getting stuck in a rock. Big thanks to Tanooki for the save info! I was able to get back to the chapter but my rump was asleep from sitting on the floor. Another day.

• Like 1

I'm periodically watching for updates on the game.  I can confirm reading about it can be actually completed.  So I imagine that group of people working to bug squash the game so it can be finished will be pleased the data is there around the immense amount of crashes it suffers.  If they can clean up the ticking timebomb mechanic of the progression stopper/crash bugs this will be an epic game to pop onto a legit modern aftermarket cart and go to town on.

• Like 2

I have the n64 out at the moment so need to remember to try this out before it gets boxed again. Hopefully it'll be more stable before I get round to it, but have to admit I really didn't like starfox adventures on gamecube and actually felt a little cheated that a star wing game ended like that. I would have probably seen it in a different light if I knew it was originally this especially given how many rare games I've played on the system...! 

• Like 1