IGNORED

Pondering About Max's

gnusto

Found a fascinating (to me) article about this rare game that has been discussed here before: https://archive.org/details/New_Atari_User_Issue_056_1992-06_Page_6_Publishing/page/n33/mode/2up?q=pondering+about+max

It seems to have only been sold mail order, and the highly unusual packaging is discussed in the article (looks like they switched to just a regular disk in an envelope later). Does anybody have any scans of the packaging other than this one from the Atari Museum? Check out that custom disk envelope!

Ideally I'd like something I could use as a cover for a front end - looks like the box itself might have been plain black or blue based on this listing. So maybe the front of that disk envelope? Normally I'd think about buying it and donating the scans to Atarimania, but sheesh people, $600? I'm not that crazy.

Well while we are looking at rare games on Ebay, there's also this one. Item description labels this as the "Holy grail" of Atari 8 bit finds, and at the stated price of $900, that's about right. Because that's a price you might expect for the actual Holy Grail so you could hand it over to Indiana Jones.

• Haha 2

lol I see lot's of stuff that isn't worth what people pay... often they agree with my assessment after the fact... :)

it's beyond buyers remorse... heh hehe hehehehhe  I take back the laughter, it just isn't right. I feel their pain.

Edited by _The Doctor__
  • Like 1

It all makes me so grateful for the people that have over these years preserved the software, those folks who contributed stuff to collators of software, be it just for the sake of copying / cracking the disk or to actually make sure its preserved it all it is all part of the same agenda in a way. Had we been made to pay for every bit of software at insane prices I know most people's collection would be smaller. Do I have an original of PAM, no, I'm just grateful I can still get to play it after all these years. Would I love a huge collection, of course, to have the box, manual and real disk etc is all part of the joy but with prices being driven up its leaving many not being able to own those originals.

Hence I'm so grateful to those that collected and made available most of the software out there..And even more to those still doing it and finding rare titles..Thank you..

• Like 2

21 hours ago, gnusto said:

Well while we are looking at rare games on Ebay, there's also this one. Item description labels this as the "Holy grail" of Atari 8 bit finds, and at the stated price of $900, that's about right. Because that's a price you might expect for the actual Holy Grail so you could hand it over to Indiana Jones.

Oh great, a disk out of its sleeve on the granite bathroom floor. That's $900 for sure!

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, Mclaneinc said:

It all makes me so grateful for the people that have over these years preserved the software, those folks who contributed stuff to collators of software, be it just for the sake of copying / cracking the disk or to actually make sure its preserved it all it is all part of the same agenda in a way. Had we been made to pay for every bit of software at insane prices I know most people's collection would be smaller. Do I have an original of PAM, no, I'm just grateful I can still get to play it after all these years. Would I love a huge collection, of course, to have the box, manual and real disk etc is all part of the joy but with prices being driven up its leaving many not being able to own those originals.

Hence I'm so grateful to those that collected and made available most of the software out there..And even more to those still doing it and finding rare titles..Thank you..

I've gotten creative with original software I collect sometimes. For example, I collect Infocom games of late. I didn't really get into text adventures back in the day and I only ever owned and played Wishbringer and The Incredible Spiderman and The Pawn. Anyway, I enjoy them now and have started collecting the Infocom titles, but prices for Atari versions, on average, run MUCH higher for complete used copies (I don't need new, just in good condition) than for other computer formats. So I started buying IBM versions for 1/4 the cost, just removing the IBM version sticker at the bottom and reformating and re-writing Atari .ATX's to the IBM floppy disks, and I have the complete, original boxed Infocom games without paying for the usual Atari price. So far I have Zork I, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy and The Lurking Horror. Only the last one is an Atari original.

20210222_111545.thumb.jpg.0a4e3293d3e0feb3b5967fa8a5f7d2df.jpg

I don't mind, with things as rare as Pam, of just making my own DIY reprint of all the packaging and documentation if source images are available. My collecting isn't about value, it's not an investment per-se (some is default because it is original), I never plan to sell, just own and enjoy. It's about owning and experiencing the real thing when possible, but a reprint is fine if there is no other way, just for the physical experience and display. Of course I haven't actually made and fake reprint boxes or manuals, etc. yet, but I'd do up my own for P.A.M if there was a good source of images to copy and use.

Edited by Gunstar
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, ivop said:

Oh great, a disk out of its sleeve on the granite bathroom floor. That's $900 for sure!

Oh, my, God. I seen even worse before though in listings. I don't know what anyone here knows about CED video disks, but they are like LP's but a much finer needle is used to play them and much finer grooves, so much so that they have rainbow coloring like a lazer disc in the light, And this is true of standard LP's too, but in the case of CED's the damage is instantaneous due to the size and fragility of the grooves. That is to stack them up on their sides, It crushes the grooves and instantly ruins the disc inside. They come in plastic caddies that look like giant 3.5" floppy discs, which will protect them if just a few are laid upon one another, but I can't tell you how many auctions on eBay I've seen with photos of the things stack 2 feet high on their sides. Well, I can tell you after the first half dozen at the top, all the rest wore damaged to one extent or another the low they are in the stack, and anything 6 inches or more down is completely destroyed and will destroy your needle if yo try playing them! I wrote, at the time, to several of these sellers, and their reply was generally "I do keep them upright normally, they were just stacked like that for a minute for the photo!" But I would remind them, as I told them in the first message; one second, one minute, one hour, they are crushed by the wait instantly.:-o:dunce:

• Like 3

Wow,  what a flashback.  When I saw the topic title I had to pause and think "why does that sound so familiar" for a bit before I recalled.  I think this was probably the last game I ever bought for my 800xl,  before retiring it and buying a Mac.   All I vaguely recall about this game is that I couldn't get far with,  played with it for maybe 2 days before being frustrated and giving up.  Anyway,  I figured I must still have it so I dug it up.  Maybe I'll hook up a 1050 later in the week and check it out. 

IMG_20210222_125733.jpg

IMG_20210222_125758.jpg

• Like 3

So let me make sure I understand what I am seeing here; the front side of the disk is black with a large or possibly full-doverage black label and the backside of the floppy has a full-cover art label design? Or am I just looking at a full-cover sleeve? (which wouldn't make sense to have the holes still exposing the magnetic disk, so probably my first guess?)

On 2/21/2021 at 11:01 AM, gnusto said:

Ideally I'd like something I could use as a cover for a front end - looks like the box itself might have been plain black or blue based on this listing. So maybe the front of that disk envelope? Normally I'd think about buying it and donating the scans to Atarimania, but sheesh people, $600? I'm not that crazy.

Look at this topic for pictures and more.

Ideally I'd like something I could use as a cover for a front end - looks like the box itself might have been plain black or blue based on this listing.

The box is plain black, it is some kind of black fabric.

Does anybody have any scans of the packaging other than this one from the Atari Museum? Check out that custom disk envelope!

LOL, that is my site. Not "the Atari Museum" but atarimuseum.nl ;-)

Edited by Fred_M
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, eegad said:

Anyway,  I figured I must still have it so I dug it up.  Maybe I'll hook up a 1050 later in the week and check it out. 

That's fantastic! Do you happen to have access to a flatbed scanner (or a good light + camera mount) to get a detailed straight edge scan? I'm sure the community would appreciate it if you would, and we'll get it up on Atarimania pronto.

Regardless congratulations on the rare find from your personal archives ?

57 minutes ago, Fred_M said:

LOL, that is my site. Not "the Atari Museum" but atarimuseum.nl

I'm aware - but you do call it "atarimuseum", seems fairly natural to me to say "Atari Museum". I don't think anyone is confused that you are the only Atari collection in the world!