IGNORED

Pondering About Max's

gnusto

3 hours ago, gnusto said:

That's fantastic! Do you happen to have access to a flatbed scanner (or a good light + camera mount) to get a detailed straight edge scan? I'm sure the community would appreciate it if you would, and we'll get it up on Atarimania pronto.

Regardless congratulations on the rare find from your personal archives ?

You have probably not seen this page: https://atarimuseum.nl/atari-cover-database/ A scan of the front and the back of the booklet is there ;-) You can have it without watermark ;-)

This was not a rare find back in the day ;-) As a kid I saw the advert in Page 6. I put some dollars in an envelope and it was delivered in The Netherlands ?

Pondering_About_Maxs_disk.jpg

Edited by Fred_M
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, gnusto said:

I'm aware - but you do call it "atarimuseum", seems fairly natural to me to say "Atari Museum". I don't think anyone is confused that you are the only Atari collection in the world!

Maybe, maybe not. I call it atarimuseum.nl because atarimuseum.com (excellent site!) is the site most associated with "Atari Museum".

Edited by Fred_M
  • Like 1

34 minutes ago, Fred_M said:

You have probably not seen this page: https://atarimuseum.nl/atari-cover-database/ A scan of the front and the back of the booklet is there ;-) You can have it without watermark ;-)

This was not a rare find back in the day ;-) As a kid I saw the advert in Page 6. I put some dollars in an envelope and it was delivered in The Netherlands ?

Ah that one does have no watermark, thank you.

A bit of a subjective call on my part I admit, but I think it may be rare in comparison to many other titles, because reportedly the only way it was sold was via mail, from the US (I haven't found any reports of a european distributor). But in any case thanks again for the clean case scan.

16 minutes ago, gnusto said:

Ah that one does have no watermark, thank you.

A bit of a subjective call on my part I admit, but I think it may be rare in comparison to many other titles, because reportedly the only way it was sold was via mail, from the US (I haven't found any reports of a european distributor). But in any case thanks again for the clean case scan.

Ofcourse it is rare ? I was lucky that I was able to bought it when it came out.

by that measuring stick 80% of this stuff is rare... almost everything was mail order in most of the country for software and computer stuff

mail order houses were the thing.... as were independent software houses, and independent programming entrepreneurs. So it's all super rare l@@k amazing stuff!

Just to be clear. I think the valuation people give this game on Ebay is ridiculous too. The people who know me, know that I would never spend that kind of money on Atari items. I try to dump/scan everything I have collected and give the files to the preservation projects out there.

I gave everything a scan.  Unfortunately my scanner is ancient, and the type of printing on this causes a moire pattern on the scans. 

Two things.  First, I really dont recall this game coming with the box/book shown in previous scans.  If it did I imagine I would have kept it.   Secondly, has anyone ever been able to get anywhere with this game? I played a bit last night and it matched my vague memories.... Namely that I couldn't beat any of the 3 levels you can start at,  and all it did was frustrate me. 

img837.jpg

img833.jpg

img835.jpg

img836.jpg

img834.jpg

img838.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, eegad said:

Secondly, has anyone ever been able to get anywhere with this game? I played a bit last night and it matched my vague memories.... Namely that I couldn't beat any of the 3 levels you can start at,  and all it did was frustrate me.

My experience is pretty much the same as yours.  Looks good, is a type of game I usually like to play, and is just brutally difficult to the point of being almost impossible for me.  Even after watching the following video a few times, it still kicks my ass sideways right out of the gate.

Kinda curious about the Delta Eta appearing for copyright.  I wonder if this was written while the author was in college.

• Like 1

It's a tough game, but not impossible. I've played it for an hour hear or there over the last couple of years, adding up to probably a full day worth of play, and I have advanced through about half the levels in the two platform games PAM and The Dream. Barroom brawl is a combination of boxing and WWF wrestling, throwing punches and wrestling moves and also throwing bottles and chairs, etc., the bar is like a fighting ring fill with obstacles. You just have to take the time to learn all the controls and once you do it is a blast. But as hard as it is, and taking me probably a dozen attempts at least to pass each new level I reach (the previous ones get easier to get through again the next game session) , the great animation and uniqueness of the games always keeps me coming back for more, and "just one more try" to get past that next level. 

Keep in mind that you do not have several different starting levels to choose from, you have 3 different games to choose from and you start on level one of each game. PAM and The Dream can be thought of as the original and the sequel, they were just released at the same time, and Barroom Brawl is a totally different game, you just happen to be the same lead character in all three.

back in the day there were guides to the bar fight on this and that BBS, which is where the pirated game was circulated... but no one would know about such things. should be interesting to see what turns up. or if you do get the brawling down to an art, what guides will be written again.

2 more things... 

- everywhere says it's  a 1989 release,  yet my disk clearly says  (c) 1990.

- I just tried enabling cheats via Altirra, but it doesn't work at all (disabling PM collisions) . If anyone can beat the various game levels, I for one would love to see a video (or learn how to cheat).  Now that I have stumbled upon this game again,  I really would like to see how it was supposed to play out. 

15 minutes ago, eegad said:

- I just tried enabling cheats via Altirra, but it doesn't work at all (disabling PM collisions) . If anyone can beat the various game levels, I for one would love to see a video (or learn how to cheat).  Now that I have stumbled upon this game again,  I really would like to see how it was supposed to play out. 

@Guy1 recently (back in October) posted a longplay video of the game. You can check it out here: Pondering About Max's - Longplay

Just watched the first part of your video and am really confused.  First,  colors are totally different.  Second, I cannot jump off the springs..... It does nothing (I gently bounce up and down) or I fall off.  Is there a trick to it??  It's  almost like it's a PAL game that doesn't really work on my NTSC 800xl.  But I bought it here in the USA, and posts say it was only a US release, so totally confused.

1 hour ago, eegad said:

- everywhere says it's  a 1989 release,  yet my disk clearly says  (c) 1990.

The title screen however shows 1989. So could have been that it was printed over the course of two calendar years.

1 hour ago, eegad said:

I just tried enabling cheats via Altirra, but it doesn't work at all (disabling PM collisions)

Well, it's not using PMs for the action, so that pretty much makes sense.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, eegad said:

Just watched the first part of your video and am really confused.  First,  colors are totally different.  Second, I cannot jump off the springs..... It does nothing (I gently bounce up and down) or I fall off.  Is there a trick to it??  It's  almost like it's a PAL game that doesn't really work on my NTSC 800xl.  But I bought it here in the USA, and posts say it was only a US release, so totally confused.

There is a link in post #22 on the first page of this thread that @Fred_M made with a link to another P.A.M thread where he posted photos of the entire manual/reference guide and more for all three games so you can know the moves and game play, etc.

Edited by Gunstar