IGNORED

Violent Storm...Konami's unsung beat em up gem

awbacon

I wouldn't say I "never" hear this game mentioned, but yeah, it's definitely somewhat of a deep cut from arcade history. 

As for Simpsons and TMNT, I suspect those games are so popular mostly due to being based on well-loved IP, not because their gameplay is so much better than contemporary beat-em-ups.  Those games look and sound great but let's be honest - the gameplay on TMNT and Simpsons is pretty shallow compared to some beat-em-ups that don't get nearly as much attention.  These days, they bore me to tears in minutes because there's no technique to them... just mash the "attack" button and throw in the odd "jump kick" or "special attack."  Games that followed more of a Final Fight template like Violent Storm, and Night Slashers, and Sengoku 3, and Ninja Baseball Batman, and many others have all the rudiments of the Konami titles and so much more... like grab moves and throws and dash attacks and all kinds of other things that bring some variety to the experience.  

• Thanks 1

18 hours ago, roots.genoa said:

I admit I didn't know that game (or maybe I've forgotten about it).

The Asterix beat 'em up from Konami is excellent too, but doesn't seem to be mentioned a lot outside of France unfortunately.

Good one - I stumbled upon that game on my MAME cabinet a few years ago and played it for a bit.  I have no idea who those characters are, and it's been a while, but I seem to recall the game has some pretty nice graphics and animation.