IGNORED

Intellivision HSC Season 14 - Game 5 - Thunder Castle - SPECIAL SCORING

Rickster8

[Intellivision HSC Season 14]

(Game 5)

Thunder Castle

image.png.4df4c30d87c15dd3fbc16be28ee95ee1.png

Thunder Castle by Mattel Electronics 1982/6

A whimsical new medieval fantasy game. You're the knight in shining armor on your quest for survival.

ROM Download Link

https://www.romnation.net/srv/roms/21630/intellivision/Thunder-Castle-1982-Mattel.html

High Score Club Record

(Special Scoring - Make NEW Record)

Game Setting

DISC (PRESS DISC)

Contest Ends
MONDAY MARCH 8TH 11:59:59PM EASTERN TIME

SPECIAL SCORING METHOD:

SCORES WILL BE A COMBINATION OF LEVEL YOU DIE ON X 10,000 PTS PLUS FINAL SCORE ACHIEVED.

EXAMPLE: LEVEL 5 DEATH WITH A SCORE ON SCREEN OF 14,500 WOULD RESULT IN A FINAL SCORE OF 5X10,000=50,000+14,500=64,500 FOR PLAYERS' FINAL SCORE. ALSO PLAYERS ARE NOT TO POINT LEECH OR FARM POINTS IN GAME PLAY.

(HIGH SCORES)

153,600 - CParsley [+13][+3 set new record][+2 game winner]

152,300 - mr_me [+12]

131,200 - IntyFanMatt [+11]

---------------------------------

124,100 - Intellivision Spartan [+9]

101,500 - RogerPoco [+8]

84,100 - JacobZu7zu7 [+7]

82,600 - popsicle [+6]

82,300 - Rickster8 [+5]

76,200 - Toiletunes [+4] 

70,200 - Gbag [+3]

64,800 - Player One [+2]

56,900 - Hoosierdadee78 [+1]

52,600 - Gar0u [+1]

39,200 - Fakecortex [+1]

37,100 - CMadruga [+1]

36,900 - Wolfy62 [+1]

27,500 - Biffman [+1]

24,900 - ClassicGMR [+1]

Rankings

1. cparsley  58  
2. IntellivisionSpartan  47 -11
3. Rickster8  39 -19
4. biffman  33 -25
5. cmadruga  32 -26
5. popsicle  32 -26
7. gbag  30 -28
8. Player One  26 -32
9. patbb  20 -38
10. mr_me  19 -39
11. bamse  15 -43
11. wolfy62  15 -43
11. rogerpoco 15 -43
14. IntellivisionMaster  11 -47
14. IntyFanMatt  11 -47
14. JacobZu7zu7  11 -47
14. JasonlikesINTV  11 -47
18. Ace24  5 -53
18. jblenkle  5 -53
18. fakecortex  5 -53
18. classicGMR  5 -53
18. gar0u  5 -53
23. Intelligentleman  4 -54
23. Mangia-Boy  4 -54
23. hoosierdadee78  4 -54
26. sneakyturtleegg  2 -56
27. toiletunes  1 -57
27. Mister-VCS  1 -57

Games Won

2 CParsley - Beamrider / Lock N Chase

1 Rickster8 - Demon Attack

1 BiffMan - Chess

1 Gbag - Popeye

Sneak Preview:

He Man

Edited by Rickster8
Updated Total Points
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Rickster8 said:

SPECIAL REQUEST - Please no point farming.... Play the game with getting to the next level in mind... ?

Or why not have a point farming sub contest for those folks so inclined?

Me? I just got the game last week and I've played one time. So I don't even know the point farming opportunities.

9 minutes ago, Intelligentleman said:

Or why not have a point farming sub contest for those folks so inclined?

Me? I just got the game last week and I've played one time. So I don't even know the point farming opportunities.

With all due respect, I don’t think that would be productive here. There is a grey area between point farming and playing a true game in Thunder Castle, and many people won’t know where to post their score. Don’t think we should have 2 threads for this one at all. 

• Like 1

Back in my day of Moderating the HSC, Point farming (or leeching) was strongly discouraged, and thankfully really didn't have much of a problem with it. What he's mostly getting it as he doesn't want to see 100k Level 1-1 scores (which is doable if you got the patience of Job and a ton of free time on your hands lol) :)

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, cparsley said:

Back in my day of Moderating the HSC, Point farming (or leeching) was strongly discouraged, and thankfully really didn't have much of a problem with it. What he's mostly getting it as he doesn't want to see 100k Level 1-1 scores (which is doable if you got the patience of Job and a ton of free time on your hands lol) :)

Right...it happened a couple seasons ago. We had several scores well over 100k, even one over 200k. It was all farming.  We can’t have that again. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, popsicle said:

Does Thunder Castle keep track of the level you are on and display it when your game ends? If so, I suggest points x level = total. Points maybe rounded to nearest thousand to keep numbers smaller.

No it doesn’t keep track of the level, unfortunately. Wish we could do that suggestion, that would be good. 

Suggestion:

Level that you die on x 10,000 points plus points on your tv screen. We use the Honor system. 

keep the farming in check. 

Die on level 6 with 32,000 points = 92,000 total points.

the tv screen points should be a reasonable amount since we’ll all be advancing with a 10,000 bonus per screen.  

Rationale: we use the Honor system anyway...... and c’mon ... the moment someone claims they got 50,000+ it’s just not believable that there was no farming. If you can get 57,000 points, you can clear every board in 5 to 10 minutes. The best players would end their games around 35,000 to 40,000 points on level 10, 11 or 12. 

It’s up to you guys! 

Edited by INTELLIVISION SPARTAN
  • Like 3

45 minutes ago, INTELLIVISION SPARTAN said:

Suggestion:

Level that you die on x 10,000 points plus points on your tv screen. We use the Honor system. 

the tv screen points should be a reasonable amount since we’ll all be advancing with a 10,000 bonus per screen.  

Rationale: we use the Honor system anyway...... and c’mon ... the moment someone claims they got 50,000+ it’s just not believable that there was no farming. If you can get 57,000 points, you can clear every board in 5 to 10 minutes. The best players would end their games around 35,000 to 40,000 points on level 10, 11 or 12. 

It’s up to you guys! 

We can definitely look at this idea since nobody has submitted a score yet. Lets see what Matt says as he knows this game better than anyone I know. He even currently holds the World Record on Twin Galaxies.... Matt what say you about Sparty's idea for Thunder Castle? @IntyFanMatt

I can also move the ending date on this to the day after on Monday, March 8th so we still get in a full two weeks to play while we are deciding how best to set this game up. But one thing to consider the old record would probably have to be changed based on this new formula as well... In the mean-time lets try to hold off putting in scores until we get this sorted out. Thx

Edited by Rickster8
Wording
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, Rickster8 said:

We can definitely look at this idea since nobody has submitted a score yet. Lets see what Matt says as he knows this game better than anyone I know. He even currently holds the World Record on Twin Galaxies.... Matt what say you about Sparty's idea for Thunder Castle? @IntyFanMatt

I can also move the ending date on this to the day after on Monday, March 8th so we still get in a full two weeks to play while we are deciding how best to set this game up. But one thing to consider the old record would probably have to be changed based on this new formula as well... In the mean-time lets try to hold off putting in scores until we get this sorted out. Thx

I like Sparty's suggestion!  Since we are using the honor system anyway, we could go with that.  It's very hard to get to level 8 or 9, so if anyone makes it past that, it would be very impressive.  And I agree that the score should be around 40-45k if you get to those levels...which is what it's at on Twin Galaxies.  If anyone gets over 50k and they didn't make it to level 8 or beyond, then they were definitely point farming...which plays into Sparty's point.  I'm good with it, but Rick...you are the boss!  ?  

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, IntyFanMatt said:

I like Sparty's suggestion!  Since we are using the honor system anyway, we could go with that.  It's very hard to get to level 8 or 9, so if anyone makes it past that, it would be very impressive.  And I agree that the score should be around 40-45k if you get to those levels...which is what it's at on Twin Galaxies.  If anyone gets over 50k and they didn't make it to level 8 or beyond, then they were definitely point farming...which plays into Sparty's point.  I'm good with it, but Rick...you are the boss!  ?  

Ok let's do it. Sparty's suggestion now goes into play..... I will also change the game end date to two weeks from tonight on Monday the 8th.... ?

• Like 3

Kinda sleepy in this thread so far. I haven’t been able to get to this game this week yet, but maybe this weekend. It’s a great game but a little complex when learning how and when to use the items. Hope you guys can put some time into it. I truly think it’s one of the best games on the system!

Edited by IntyFanMatt
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, mr_me said:

With this scoring system, I wonder if keeping your score low, collecting more lives, and going for distance would work.

Good point! I guess “farming for lives” falls into the category of “keep the farming in check”. 

so hang-out, grab a couple extra lives and move on to the next board.... grabbing an extra couple is fine. otherwise one player will sit in the first screen until he has 50 extra lives LOL .. of course he’s getting to screen 14 !!! 

just my opinion! 

it’s so difficult to create a fair scoring system with the flaws in the program! 

I intend to be ready with screenshots showing the last frame of each screen ... to show my points and reserve men as I progressed.  Although we use the Honor system and I don’t need to see anyone else’s screenshots... I feel better showing mine. 

(Hey! I’m not the one who chose Thunder Castle :) :) ) 

1 hour ago, INTELLIVISION SPARTAN said:

so hang-out, grab a couple extra lives and move on to the next board.... grabbing an extra couple is fine. otherwise one player will sit in the first screen until he has 50 extra lives LOL .. of course he’s getting to screen 14 !!! 

The lives system in this game doesn't work that way.  The maximum number of lives you can get is 9.  And there is only 1 candlestick that may or may not appear on each screen to give you an extra life.  So you can't hang out and just farm lives, as you say.

Edited by IntyFanMatt
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1