IGNORED

Intellivision HSC Season 14 - Game 5 - Thunder Castle - SPECIAL SCORING

Rickster8

38 minutes ago, INTELLIVISION SPARTAN said:

@IntyFanMatt I had the same. I was doing great until I unleashed one red demon. And he killed 5 men in a row instantly! He’s really fast! 

Yeah I didn’t quite get to the red demons on level 9, but I’ve seen them in a Twin Galaxies video before. Fastest enemy in the game I think! I had 2 yellow ones after me and that was enough to eliminate the last 3 lives I had.

• Haha 1

I'm truly terrible at this game, so my entry may look like point farming, but I assure you it is not.  I just spend A LOT of time running around that maze picking up the odd treasure and avoiding the comb.

Why is level 2 so hard?  That mouse is hard to catch, and he always seems to be as far from the wizards as possible!

Used the ring to teleport away from the yellow wizard and it teleported me TO the yellow wizard for an instakill and "The End".

Level 2 x 10,000 + 5,500 = 25,500

IMG_5587.jpg

• Like 4

46 minutes ago, gar0u said:

I'm truly terrible at this game, so my entry may look like point farming, but I assure you it is not.  I just spend A LOT of time running around that maze picking up the odd treasure and avoiding the comb.

Why is level 2 so hard?  That mouse is hard to catch, and he always seems to be as far from the wizards as possible!

Used the ring to teleport away from the yellow wizard and it teleported me TO the yellow wizard for an instakill and "The End".

IMG_5587.jpg

A good rule of thumb for farming: the points should be roughly 5,000 per screen as a max. You’re way under 10k for screen 2 so you’re good!

I agree with Rickster’s point ... your knight should speed-up a little when you’re energized. It would make the game a little more playable! 

Edited by INTELLIVISION SPARTAN
  • Like 3

Just a question-

I really don't like this game much, tbh, it was a little better than I remembered, just the "leeching" thing...grumble, grumble...(Working around crappy programming irks me), and it takes a decent while to score.

And I ain't too good, I actually struggle to catch the fast dudes(one reason the leeching thing bothers me...not my fault I suck so bad I build up a big score before I can even catch the red dragon, lol!).

So, anyway, after a test run, the HOPE is to get to level 4-I got about 3/4 of the way thru level three, only remembered halfway thru the game that you had, uhh, powerups(Imanidiot).

I think I can reaquaint myself to what they do, squeak out a L4 finish, but(my question)...

What if someone were REALLY close to the scoring requirements, but(accidentally) a squeak over-

Could/would the score be rounded down to the max allowable number per the scoring rules?

I'm talking a few hundred points, couple k at most, that pushing it even.

My math in general just really sucks, and also I really worry about trying to do at least "the best I can", getting stuck chasing one last dude and going over the limit running around chasing it.

1 hour ago, gar0u said:

You would really need to use the items to kill the enemies.  Go for the Grail and the Crown as your ideal items.  The Grail energizes you, so once you get it, hide out somewhere, wait for the last millisecond before they get you, and use it to kill them.  And the Crown freezes the enemies, so you can use that and then touch the rat or whatever energizes you on the screen, and kill the enemy while they are frozen.

So guys...you really can't run around and hope to catch the enemies in this game...it just doesn't work because you can't catch the yellow or red guys.  Just go get the Grail or the Crown, and use them strategically to kill them.  Once you get used to doing that, you will go far in this game.

Edited by IntyFanMatt
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 3

Yes. Listen to Matt. You should get a kill every grail that you find. And a kill 2/3 times you get the crown. Sometimes it doesn’t work out, but it works most of the time. 

Also the 5k per screen is a rough number just to give an idea. For example, if you get 12,000 points on one screen, dude, that’s farming :) 

• Like 2

Ah, I just spent a half hour-got 19,100, level three, and died after spending five minutes chasing the last guardian.

I'm gonna try again, but I dunno, again, it ain't as bad as all that, but the "math thinking" involved in "fair scoring" is a real buzzkill, keeps me from enjoying it.

NBD, and the scoring system is actually fantastic, don't get me wrong, I just don't like conforming to it, haha!

• Haha 1

When I did the HSC, any of these situations would be addressed on a case by case basis... 19,100 on three, not terrible but could be getting close, but would consider it to be fine, now 29,100 may definitely be a different case. Basically do NOT make the suggestion of 5k/level a HARD and FAST rule, but don't use that to go and try to rack up 10k per level thinking you'll be fine. :) Just play the game as it's meant to and nobody should have any troubles :)

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, fakecortex said:

I'm confused, what's up with the subtracted points from our season totals?

The red numbered column is how many points everyone is behind CParsley..... 

Edited by Rickster8
Added a little more text.
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Thunder Castle-26,000

OK-I think I got to level 5?

Looped it once, got to the second screen the second time around(ugh, should have got one more...).

I don't know if I am 1K over the leeching limit, or 4k under-I didn't leech. I tried to wait until I got a candlestick on the first few levels, and used the comb for an extra man(haha, and died shortly after, so useless...), had 11,000 at the end of two levels, but very much so from then on-I WAS TRYING NOT TO DIE!

I got a "new" TV today-no remote, no "menu" button, and my universal remote won't pull up a menu(was 10$, is short term, I'll get a good one)(Actually-I HAD to get this TV for this game, my old old one was crapping out after 15 minutes...).

When I played L4-I swear to God, I couldn't see the bats at all, they were the same color black as the screen-I lost a lot of men there, couldn't get Grails fast enough, but squeaked through.

Ah, I haven't looked at the scores recently elsewhere where I play, but if this is decent(I think I had 10K or so before), I WILL submit it there, and I've had me very best buddies bust me for leeching(unintentionally), but I just think I played fair.

This is what I worried about-I was busting my ass to finish the level I was on, and almost did-took me almost an hour.

If I came up two enemies killed short of leeching/not leeching...

Ugh. I dunno. That would suck if it was that close.

The programming is not quite thought out, but I have reconsidered, this is a decent game, just terribly flawed.

Oh, haha-if I do put the vid up-the end of L4 is ridiculous. I was down to no dudes, the Dragon had me trapped, and a bat(that I couldn't see), ran into me a split second before the Dragon did, it was AWESOME!!!

INTThunderCastle26000.png

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Rogerpoco said:

Thunder Castle-26,000

OK-I think I got to level 5?

Looped it once, got to the second screen the second time around(ugh, should have got one more...).

I don't know if I am 1K over the leeching limit, or 4k under-I didn't leech. I tried to wait until I got a candlestick on the first few levels, and used the comb for an extra man(haha, and died shortly after, so useless...), had 11,000 at the end of two levels, but very much so from then on-I WAS TRYING NOT TO DIE!

I got a "new" TV today-no remote, no "menu" button, and my universal remote won't pull up a menu(was 10$, is short term, I'll get a good one)(Actually-I HAD to get this TV for this game, my old old one was crapping out after 15 minutes...).

When I played L4-I swear to God, I couldn't see the bats at all, they were the same color black as the screen-I lost a lot of men there, couldn't get Grails fast enough, but squeaked through.

Ah, I haven't looked at the scores recently elsewhere where I play, but if this is decent(I think I had 10K or so before), I WILL submit it there, and I've had me very best buddies bust me for leeching(unintentionally), but I just think I played fair.

This is what I worried about-I was busting my ass to finish the level I was on, and almost did-took me almost an hour.

If I came up two enemies killed short of leeching/not leeching...

Ugh. I dunno. That would suck if it was that close.

The programming is not quite thought out, but I have reconsidered, this is a decent game, just terribly flawed.

Oh, haha-if I do put the vid up-the end of L4 is ridiculous. I was down to no dudes, the Dragon had me trapped, and a bat(that I couldn't see), ran into me a split second before the Dragon did, it was AWESOME!!!

INTThunderCastle26000.png

Nice, so then for this contest with the Special Scoring you got 76,000 = 5 x 10,000 + 26,000 = 76,000. ?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Just now, Rickster8 said:

Nice, so then for this contest with the Special Scoring you got 76,000 = 5 x 10,000 + 26,000 = 76,000. ?

Am I "fair"?

I was thinking the max allowed was 5K per level-I'm actually planning to go again, I guess(dammit...), I fell 1600K short of bumping up a spot at TG.

I'm so sorry for being so fussy on this one-it's been fun, I guess, trying to "conform", and I DO get it, but math requires so much "thinking" for me, it messes me up!

Believe it or not, I actually got a "set" on that game that I was very uncomfortable with-there's an L1 I really "prefer", but I just played what I had, was surprised-I'll have to rewatch the vid, it seems like I remember being really frustrated with the L2 setup, less "traps" than usual.

For real, I DO want to play fair, and not "trying to win", AND, even HAD to get a new old TV just for this game, haha, so I swear, even if I'm slightly "over the line", it's "in good faith/spirit".

But by God...

I'm in fifth in the 2600 HSC, out of a LOT of people.

Imma try to win that damned thing this year.

:D

Definitely, 100, million percent "it" for me, totally done.

Thunder Castle-L7, 31,500

OK-I've played this to a high score before, I *think* on PS2(INT Lives), but never subbed it, I knew it was bad, all "first level", but this isn't so bad!

I still can't see the bats in the second loop, they are black, but fortunately they turn green again in the second loop-I got to the red dragon, but had bad power up luck, TBH.

Way better than I expected for this, playing "by the rules", so good deal!

*Edit*-Rickster8-uploading this vid elsewhere now, you know I always tape.

Man! I looped it twice, haha! So tickled! I suck so bad at INT!!!! This is great, I've managed to "do decent" the last couple weeks, didn't expect it!

INTThunderCastle7level31500.png

Edited by Rogerpoco
  • Like 2