IGNORED

Getting Aquatinted w/ Aquarius - Tips?

8 hours ago, Intelligentleman said:

Within the next few days, I should have an Aquarius computer, a tape drive, File Form, 32k ram cart, and Aquaricart. Still in pursuit of a Mini Expander.

Any tips on getting started with this stuff would be welcomed.

Welcome to the Aquarius! For starters, assuming the data recorder isn’t missing it’s cable, you can actually load cassettes to your Aquarius from a modern computer. Original cassettes are quite hard to find, so if you’re looking to play them, I’d recommend loading them from your computer. 

On the collecting side of things, retail US software and hardware is pretty common, and shouldn’t be much of an issue to acquire. It should be mentioned that all cartridges were in fact available in the US, but some only through mail order. These are the cartridges that will give you trouble. Zero-In, Melody Chase, Chess, Space Speller, Extended Basic, and an original 32K memory cartridge. If you get into collecting Aquarius, be prepared to spend quite a bit of money, and a lot of time searching. However, as you mentioned you bought the Aquaricart and Jay’s excellent 32K memory cart, these really aren’t necessary if you’re not collecting. The Aquaricart includes each of the cartridges I mentioned, and his 32K is more reliable and easy to come by. Still, I’ve attached an Aquarius Collecting list I made that I believe is the most complete out there. Enjoy your new Aquarius, hopefully this helped in some form.

Aquarius Computer Collecting List 2.0.xlsx

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Intelligentleman said:

Within the next few days, I should have an Aquarius computer, a tape drive, File Form, 32k ram cart, and Aquaricart. Still in pursuit of a Mini Expander.

Any tips on getting started with this stuff would be welcomed.

You can always build your own mini expander if you want

http://www.bhabbott.net.nz/micro_expander.html

Here is a link to the bare boards

https://www.ebay.com/itm/114195123944

Edited by rietveld
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, EdgeOfPortal said:

Welcome to the Aquarius! For starters, assuming the data recorder isn’t missing it’s cable, you can actually load cassettes to your Aquarius from a modern computer. Original cassettes are quite hard to find, so if you’re looking to play them, I’d recommend loading them from your computer. 

On the collecting side of things, retail US software and hardware is pretty common, and shouldn’t be much of an issue to acquire. It should be mentioned that all cartridges were in fact available in the US, but some only through mail order. These are the cartridges that will give you trouble. Zero-In, Melody Chase, Chess, Space Speller, Extended Basic, and an original 32K memory cartridge. If you get into collecting Aquarius, be prepared to spend quite a bit of money, and a lot of time searching. However, as you mentioned you bought the Aquaricart and Jay’s excellent 32K memory cart, these really aren’t necessary if you’re not collecting. The Aquaricart includes each of the cartridges I mentioned, and his 32K is more reliable and easy to come by. Still, I’ve attached an Aquarius Collecting list I made that I believe is the most complete out there. Enjoy your new Aquarius, hopefully this helped in some form.

Aquarius Computer Collecting List 2.0.xlsx 19.09 kB · 3 downloads

Yes, I actually would like to have the Extended Basic cart. The other one I'd like to have, and I've seen it recently online, is LOGO.  But at least with the Aquaricart I can use the software right off the bat. That should be arriving today along with the Aquarius computer and cassette drive.