IGNORED

5200 HSC Season 14 Round 4 - Up N Down

DamonicFury

Welcome to the fourth round of the 14th 5200 HSC season!  Up N Down won by two votes. Play using the default setting. Emulation is fine, as are custom controls. Pics preferred, but not required except for HSC wins and records.

As with a few other games, this one can be abused by “hanging out” on the easier levels, scoring cheap points endlessly.  Please do not do this, as it’s a violation of the 5200 HSC Rules of Play (Rule #6).  Just try to complete the levels in a timely manner.

Yours truly set the high score on this one - 38,844 points.  Bust it if you can for a bonus point.  (With the high level of play we’ve seen this season, I fully expect to see this happen!)

The ROM  can be found here:

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/42300-new-prerelease/?p=541074

Round ends Sunday, March 7th, 2021 @9pm EST

Standings:

Cafeman - 44,762 - RECORD BREAKER

Mangia-Boy - 26,740

MrTrust - 31,172

bemis - 19,750

jblenkle - 11,602

It seems when you get to the 5th stage, you can't run over acquired flags a 2nd time or they revert to un-claimed again!   I haven't found any documentation for the game that warns about this rule. 

This game has very unfair placement of cars.  Sometimes I get nailed within a second of starting a stage.  

Also, I was able to get the 10k bonus on stage 1, with a finish time of 24 seconds. But usually I'm in the 30's or worse.  I can't see how I would ever get the top bonus.  There isn't much written about the Atari 8bit computer version of Up'N Down.  

This isn’t a good game to pick for a high score competition. I just got my highest score by staying on level two and just driving around. There is no timer. If I hadn’t been impatient I could’ve kept going theoretically forever. The scores I posted above was playing normally trying to get level by level.  

6 hours ago, Cafeman said:

This isn’t a good game to pick for a high score competition. I just got my highest score by staying on level two and just driving around. There is no timer. If I hadn’t been impatient I could’ve kept going theoretically forever. The scores I posted above was playing normally trying to get level by level.  

Thanks for pointing this out!  I’ll add a reminder to the first post not to engage in this kind of thing.

Unfortunately, this isn’t the only game with that kind of flaw.  Pengo has a similar issue as do a few others.  The 5200 library is too small IMHO to toss every game that can possibly be abused.  Just play the way the game was intended as per Rule #6 in the Rules of Play...

Rule #6. Please do not abuse bugs in the games! Many Atari games have loopholes that allow you to easily get huge amounts of points without much work ...  Not only do these result in somewhat bogus high scores, but it ruins the fun and challenge of the game in the process.

5 hours ago, Mangia-Boy said:

Here are my two best results:

One with the most points, the other one with the highest stage, that I reached.

Do I understand correctly that the first score (67,588!) was obtained through aggressive point milking on the early stages (and thus not eligible) while the second one (26,740) was obtained through regular play?  Just want to be sure.  And I apologize if you spent a lot of time on the first score before seeing the point milking discussion come up here!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, DamonicFury said:

Do I understand correctly that the first score (67,588!) was obtained through aggressive point milking on the early stages (and thus not eligible) while the second one (26,740) was obtained through regular play?  Just want to be sure.  And I apologize if you spent a lot of time on the first score before seeing the point milking discussion come up here!

That's ok. 

We are a little late for this discussion. In my eyes the fairest judgement would be to count the highest round that was reached and then the points, when there is a tie.

I'm a little bit angry about myself because Up N Down was my proposal and I checked the game not good enough (or let it say this way: I didn't know the game)

12 hours ago, MrTrust said:

31,172 through 3 rounds.  Not sure if that counts as milking or not.

IMG_20210306_064822.jpg

I don’t think so?  I mean, we’re obviously playing on the honor system here... if you weren’t deliberately hanging out scoring easy points on the early levels without trying to progress, than it’s a good score.

10 hours ago, Mangia-Boy said:

That's ok. 

We are a little late for this discussion. In my eyes the fairest judgement would be to count the highest round that was reached and then the points, when there is a tie.

I'm a little bit angry about myself because Up N Down was my proposal and I checked the game not good enough (or let it say this way: I didn't know the game)

Should this game ever come up

again, your suggestion of scoring by round reached, then points to break ties, is a very good one!  With the round ending tomorrow, it’s a bit late to change it this time.  

Very sorry this game wasn’t a hit.  Cafeman ground it out to a very impressive level 7 and broke the record in the process.  Mario Bros is up next and I sincerely hope everyone has a better time with it.  

Final standings:

Cafeman - 44,762 - RECORD BREAKER +11 +1 = +12

Mangia-Boy - 26,740  +10

MrTrust - 31,172  +9

bemis - 19,750  +8

jblenkle - 11,602  +7

25 minutes ago, DamonicFury said:
On 3/1/2021 at 4:12 PM, Cafeman said:

hsc updown 5200 44762.png

25 minutes ago, DamonicFury said:

Cafeman ground it out to a very impressive level 5 and broke the record in the process.  

I got to Round 7,  not 5!    Just sayin' .  :P 

• Thanks 1